A "The Heros Journey Spread"

Lucas Prince of Cats

I'm thinking about a sread based on the heros journey, because my english teacher has said that this story structure relates to life. Also, you could use a significator to see where you are on the heros journey, and well as what each part of it is like.

Zephyros

I quite like this idea. Different researchers have had different ideas about the Hero's Journey, or monomyth. Joseph Campbell, one of its most popular proponents, specifies seventeen different stages in the quest, although that may be too many for a Tarot spread. However, others identify less stages, between eight and twelve. You could also choose which of Campbell's stages you like best, without using all of them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth#Campbell.27s_seventeen_stages

Every station could be a position in the spread. The "Call to Adventure" could be the roots of the issue, the "Refusal of the Call" could be things that are blocking a solution, or greater understanding of the issue.

Lucas Prince of Cats

As for a specific one, I want to do one that is based on the story cycle, with the threshold and worlds. PErsonally, if I were to make one, twelve feels like a good number.

Shade

Attached below is a jpeg of one I created for a workshop on Tarot and personal mythology. Here is what I found when putting it together:

While you could have a card represent every single point Campbell speaks to in his work I kept it to six with three cards in the Upper World and three cards in the Underworld. If you have too many cards you can fall into just reading them all as individuals rather than as a cohesive story.

If you wanted to expand it, I would suggest:

- Doing one reading to find the six cards of the first spread and then creating a spread for each of those six cards based on Campbell's points
- Or by having an "Inner experience" and "outer experience" card for each of the six
- Or pulling majors for each of the six and then a series of three minors for each of the minors to see how the archetype actually manifests in your life.

Again, at some point it will just feel like you have been reading forever.

From my presentation notes (I went over each position by relating it to the Wizard of Oz and Star Wars. The first time I did it I just used Star Wars but was then told a criticism of Campbell is that his Hero's Journey is a very male-focused model).

1.The Call to Adventure - Significator.
This card represents what you are being called to do or undertake at this time.
In story: Dorothy wishes to leave Kansas, Luke Skywalker wants to travel the stars

2.Meeting The Mentor
This card represents advice about how you should proceed. Your hidden gifts.
In story: Dorothy Meets Glinda, Luke meets Obi Wan Kenobi

3.The Road of Trials
The first obstacle you need to overcome. The task at hand. Something external to be overcome.
In story: Dorothy rescues her traveling companions, Luke saves a princess and blows up the Death Star

4.The Shape of Your Shadow
The Long dark night of the soul, your inner saboteur, your greatest fear about yourself. Something internal to be overcome Revelation.
Dorothy in the Witch's castle, Luke confronts Vader

5.Reconciliation
This is how you can transform your shadow and free yourself. This is the way you can reclaim your personal power.
Dorothy matures and discovers the power within; Luke brings his father back to the light side of the force

6.The Elixir
What you can accomplish and bring into the world because of the journey you have undertaken. This is how you make the world a more wonderful place.
Dorothy returns home to brighten the lives of the people in Kansas, Luke restores teh Jedi to the galaxy

Attachments

• HeroJourney.jpg
    HeroJourney.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 589