Do you use special rituals, etc before starting a reading?

Sevan

I use my limited knowledge of numerology to decide how many times to shuffle
then I cut the deck twice, a pile for each of my three aspects.
Sometimes, from there, I pick a pile to get a reading soley from one aspect. But, mostly I make one pile with my intuitive aspect's on top.
Of course, if I feel like I won't get anything, I stop. Or if the energies are trying to burst out I have to drop whatever I'm doing and read. Those are usually the best ones ;)

Sillanza

I have a long version and a short version. :) In either case, I prefer using my dining room table. It's a beautiful room with a lovely old crystal chandelier hanging over it. I'm beginning to think it's the chandelier that makes that my preferred place.

In the long version, I clear the table and light a white candle. I gather any special stones or other talismans and hold these items to feel their vibrations. I pick a focal point and breathe deeply. I choose a question, choose a spread, choose a deck. Shuffle until done. Lay the spread, read, note, etc.

I rarely get to do all these steps, so I usually have to be content with the short version: a few quiet moments and a semi-clear space!

Kit

I can't always be at a wooden table, especially when reading for friends, although I've come to prefer one. So long as I am calm and can concentrate on the reading I'm content. I think it's better not to be too dependent an rituals as I find they can draw attention away from the reading. That said, when it comes to ritual I just go with whatever feels "right". :)

Trogon

Hmmm... don't know how (or why) I missed this thread when I was loitering around the forum before. ;) Ah well, I've found it now (or has the thread found me?).

(Note - this is my own personal view and is not meant to disparage anyone elses thoughts or beliefs. Honest.)

Ritual... Well, in the first place, for me personally, I feel that ritual, simply for the sake of ritual ends up losing it's meaning and power. Now... having said that... I guess I kind of do have a ritual of sorts that I follow for most of the Tarot readings I do, whether it be for me or for someone else;

Usually the first thing I do is have the querrent pick a deck to use, if they're not sure, then I'll choose one that I think "feels" right for that reading. Then, if I'm feeling stressed (just from every day fluff that builds up in my head), I will do a brief meditation/cyclic breathing to find my center and clear out the mental dust bunnies. I invite my spirit guides to be there for the reading and to bring any messages that the querrent (or myself) needs to receive. I say a prayer asking for guidance from God and ask that I am able to receive the messages the querrent needs to hear. I also ask for help in interpreting the messages in a way that the querrent will be able to understand and accept. I generally do the brief meditation before I begin. I do the prayer/invocation of my spirit guides while I'm actually shuffling the cards.

As to shuffling. Now days, I'm very much of the "shuffle till it feels right" school. I don't even count the number of shuffles I do any more. I think it usually ends up being around 3 to 5 times, but I can't say for certain. Sometimes I'll also feel that it might be right to invert a few cards (some times as much as 1/2 the deck) to change the reversals in the deck. Then I have the querrent shuffle the deck and I deal the cards... and we're off and running. :D

Umbrae

Always do 'what you gotta do' first - nothing will ruin a reading like a full bladder.

tmgrl2

LOL, Umbrae...yesterday, I did two readings....As my friend was shuffling...I said..."hold on....go no further, I gotta go!"

I let the reading drive me. Sometimes, I light a candle. I usually have the sitter shuffle and cut. Then I do, too.

If I have room, I fan cards and have sitter draw and hand to me to place in positions.

Sometimes, I read "on the run." Sometimes, I don't use cards.

I don't mean that to be funny. Sometimes, if it's a person I know, we talk first and before you know it, the guidance is flowing.

That happened yesterday. Instead of doing a longer reading I had originally planned, after we talked, I threw a three-card spread for clarification and as I saw cards they became both
Mind/Body/Spirit and PPF....

I love it when I go into a reading because I'm never sure what I'm going to do.

terri

mikeyofthesea

just thought of somthing

i am new to THE CARDS and well i do a little of everything just what feels right. after reading all the rituals it made me start thinking.. any way i was thinking did you ever see old people play b.i.n.g.o. when they have the trolls and they blow the hair for good luck. lol i was just thinking about that. if i ever start doing stuff like that i would check into a mental ward. any way thats all.

SteveGlick

Okay, well, my ritual thus far is pretty simple and probably needs more work... Something like meditation before hand, etc...

But basicly heres how it works for me.. And im not 100% why I do it all, I just, well, kinda instinctively do it, LOL....

I shuffle all the cards.
I pull the cards one by one after making slight cuts to the deck (I cut for each card). I pull all cards face down...
Right before I start flipping over the cards to interpate them (and this is the funny part).. I say.. "Rock and roll".. then I start reading the cards...

I have no idea why I say that.... but I kinda enjoy it...

Ace

Re: just thought of somthing

mikeyofthesea said:
i am new to THE CARDS and well i do a little of everything just what feels right. after reading all the rituals it made me start thinking.. any way i was thinking did you ever see old people play b.i.n.g.o. when they have the trolls and they blow the hair for good luck. lol i was just thinking about that. if i ever start doing stuff like that i would check into a mental ward. any way thats all.

Me Too! the thing is: what is the difference between superstition and ritual? about $250! but just kidding ;)

the point of a ritual is to set up something that sends you into the Greater Universe, and MORE IMPORTANTLY brings you back to earth. I usually don't bother with a lot of ritual, but sometimes going somewhere (in my head) that I remember as very safe and fun, and just sitting there until the energy releases helps.

When I worked as a librarian, I used to get in the car afer work and do a quick grounding like that. it got to the point, that if I didn't and I was driving someone home (I did that favor often) they would PROMPT me to do it before we drove off!

redfairy

no ritual

i am new new new to the cards. i used to pray and then shuffle exactly 3 times, and mostly did my readings in the night. But, now i shuffle as many times as i feel is right and then turn a certain amount of cards and then cut into three from right to left.