Do you use special rituals, etc before starting a reading?

Basic Elements

I don't really do anything special at all. I try to make the process as uncomplicated as I can. Sometimes I will write down my question so I can look at it while I shuffle the cards..to make sure I mentally phrase the question the same way every time.

tigerlily

I don't use any rituals because I realized that they make me too self-conscious: I am constantly monitoring myself if I'm doing it right.

But... when I bought the Llewellyn deck, I desperately wanted to bond with it, to break the spell of the "can only use one deck"-syndrome. So I haunted these boards and came across the advice to keep the deck with you day and night and shuffle, shuffle, shuffle. Although I couldn't see the point of it, I tried it and to my surprise it worked.

So right now I'm re-thinking my attitude towards ritual. I guess I need something less head-centered. Visualizations and prayers won't work for me, too much left-brain interference. I probably need some "body-ritual" like SecondWinds sign-language gestures (that one really inspired me! Like nisaba, I always wanted to learn it, but never got around doing so. As a child I was fascinated by it - it was a cool secret language only initiates could unerstand!)

SecondWind

Nisaba - Hmm. How to describe "new". There are good sign language dictionaries online but I don't see one that doesn't require you to drill down through alphabet, etc., so see if this makes sense: Start with both hands palms up in a natural position about chest high. Run the back of one hand across the palm of another, in the direction of moving toward your wrist (not away). The online video dictionaries show the sign being done with a little more "flair" or an arc than I do when I use it on my cards. For that, I make it a little more gentle or "personal" movement.

No, I'm not deaf. I taught myself the alphabet in high school out of curiosity (got half of it wrong, though), and then in college, met a deaf man in one of my classes who turned out to be the Vicar at a church for the deaf where they taught sign language classes. That was about the same time I was giving up Tarot (see my previous post), so several decades ago. I seemed to have a knack for it, picked it up quickly, and was teaching in about three years. I haven't been a "working interpreter" in many many years which is just as well since the language has evolved and I haven't kept up.

It is a beautiful language, in many ways so much more expressive than spoken English. I was lucky enough to be one of several interpreters in a run of "The Wizard of Oz" at a local theater a long time ago, and I got to sign Dorothy. That was when I found out signing the song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was so pretty I got (get) choked up every time. Signing songs is still a favorite thing.

That same Vicar is now a retired Minister. We lost contact for a long time and then, thanks to the internet, we reconnected. He and his family are truly wonderful people.

I've only seen a few signs in Australian Sign Language, would love to see more of it!

By the way, I've looked for a sign for Tarot but haven't found one. Fingerspelling T-A-R-O-T works just fine if ever needed, but I can't help but wonder if there's a sign for it. Somewhere out there, there must be a deaf person who reads Tarot, don't you think? If I ever meet one, I'll ask about that! :)

nisaba

SecondWind said:
I've only seen a few signs in Australian Sign Language, would love to see more of it!
It's a beautiful, beautiful, elegant, fluid language, even to a non-signer. On the rare occasions I get to see people signing around me, I always "eavesdrop". The signing seems to involve set facial and body-movements as well as hand-movements, and once, when watching a particularly moving and vehement political speech at a special needs school being translated into ASL, the guy was almost dancing - lovely to behold. The hearing people were just moved - but every deaf face in the place was streaming with tears.

My daughter, with the dubious benefit of being in a mainstream school without a minority deaf population, thinks she's superior to me because she can spell out f**k on her fingers slowly and painfully - but that is one sign I *have* seen from a native signer - and it's rapid, small-in-space and very sexual.

Only an hour or so before I saw your message, I was thinking of a blind friend of mine, and the possibility of creating a braille deck for him. I can see him reading the cards from memory - he's awesome that way. I wouldn't mind seeing a signed reading, though <smile>

ideely

I guess I need something less head-centered.

Tigerlilly,

I am far too much in my head in life and in Tarot Reading.
To ensure that all of my faculties - not just my left brained logic - are engaged for a reading I invoke the Elements. I burn an incense made of herbs with "airy" qualities, light a purple candle, pour water into glasses for me and my querant and sprinkle some salt on the table. I welcome the elemental energies with each action.

When I can't use my elemental symbols -allergies, fire codes, my husband's annoyance at sweeping up the salt - I sit silently and visualize the traditional signs for air, earth, fire and water. I hadn't thought until reading this thread about "signing" the elements. The physical act would help me to be more present "in the room".

I don't know any sign language though as one who is slowly losing my hearing, I should study as Nisba has. Now I have a more immediate reason to start. Thank you.

Nevada

I love this

I like the idea of invoking the elements using sign language. I once took a class in American Sign Language, but it was decades ago. What little I still recall has to be dug out of cobweb-strewn memories. But I found it quite beautiful at the time, more like a dance or form of art than like writing or talking, and so expressive.

I just now looked up some American Sign Language signs for elements and thought I'd share the links I found here:
earth (planet) or earth (soil)
water (rain) or water you drink (I prefer the idea of rain)
air (wind)
fire

For those who use some combination of five elements, as in Feng Shui (water, wood, metal, earth, fire), here are two more:
metal
wood

Whatever one's country of origin or appropriate version of sign language, it might be worth a search online....

I've never been one for rituals, but I've come to see the value in reflecting my intent in some physical way, to help me focus -- and really that's the purpose of any ritual.

ideely

Elements in American Sign Language

Thank you, Nevada.

I couldn't connect to the web through your links to the signs for the elements but I will look them up now that I have an idea where to go.

The traditional signs for the elements are not beautiful and, for me, not very evocative. Alternatives are very welcome!

Metal and wood? I would love to learn more about their unique properties. I usually think of these as included in Earth. Suggestions on sources?

Be well!

SphinYote

I usually start off by asking the deck how it is doing or if there's anything general I need to know before I start the reading. Kind of a "setting the tone" ritual, I guess.

sillyking

I calm myself down clear my mind shuffle and then deal the cards.