Pathfinders Animal Totems Oracle: Cards showing multible Animals ...?

Mi-Shell

My question is:
How do the cards with multible different Animals actually work in a reading for a client?
Will I look at all the - to me - very different animals individualy ? -- or will I be drawn to one of them specificly and disregard the others?
With up to 6 Animals on a card like Rodents>12< this one card itself could be an extensive reading - the way I read...
now - just imagine:
In a reading I draw 4 cards:
>12< Rodents with Capibara, Bilby, Rat, Shrew, Voleand Harvest Mouse x2
>8< Anteater with an actual Anteater, an Ardfark, a Coati and an Encinda
>52< Gazelle, where we also see an Impala and a Pronghorn
>82< Wolverine/Badger, a card that also features a Tasmanian Devil

How do you guys feel about these cards?

HearthCricket

I have very mixed feelings about this, too. After putting so much time into creating a deck with a lot of cards and variety, it is a pity she grouped certain animals together. Even owl. There are 4 different owls being represented. Each kind means something different.

In using this deck I am going to go with my intuition, my gut instinct. Look at the picture. If it is with a series of cards being pulled, see what story I see unfolding, just like using tarot. If it is a one card pull, see which one I am immediately drawn to.

I think I am also going to find some difficulty with some of these animals. There are a lot of Australian animals. Since I have seen very few of these at zoos and never been to Australia, I have a hard time connecting to decks like this. I love it and the artwork and the size, etc. But I still work best with decks like Spirit of the Wheel or the Medicine Cards because they are animals I am familiar with and can relate to, as well as my clients. Hmm...

HearthCricket

This has just made me think of a wonderful idea. Hopefully an artist is listening! How cool would it be to create a group of oracles of animals from different continents (Africa, Asia, British Isles, North America, South America, Australia, etc.) all the same size cards, but sold separately. Then someone could buy just their district or a series of districts or the entire set and mix them together!

:D

Aulruna

I usually don't read with Oracle decks for clients, just Tarot.

With Oracles, I always take a more personal stance anyway and develop my personal code of symbolism, so I think I will find a common denominator/energy in the multiple animals cards for myself. It is a bit like a kick-off into a meditation, and more successful with some animals than with others. (The most difficult one I have encountered was the Frog card, with the pond frogs and toads grouped with the South American poison dart frogs, who signal their toxic properties with bright colouring, are active during the day and solitary totally turning my usual frog associations upsdie down!!)

In a professional reading, those meditative musings would have no real place (well, at least not in most of mine!), so I'd probably choose a deck with a clearer message (though I have no problem with deks that have depth and complexity).

souljourney

When we first were looking through these cards I noticed also a lot of "groups" of animals.
On "Dolphin"... isn't that a black & white killer whale (orca). Totally different in my mind.

I am not a huge fan of the multiple species lumped together. Frogs & Toads & poison dart frogs... really different. Same for all the groups mentioned above. I guess you'd have to just "pick" what fits best.

souljourney

Did my "yearly reading" and this time I used Pathfinders to help me with my animal guides/teachers for the year.

I got TWO of these multiple animal cards out of the 4 I drew.
Zebra... wildass/doney and Dolphin (which has an orca and I think something else ?porpice? on it also).

The meaning for Zebra I think might fit all of the animals on the card, but not so sure about Dolphin...

Thoughts?

Oh... FYI the other critters were Sphynx and Boar.