Soul Cards 1

Elnor

This is the thread I've started in order to begin a study group to try to gain a better understanding of the Soul Cards.

I'm not sure how it's going to work, or even if there will be any interest- but I thought I'd at least give it a go, and see what happens!

The initial difficulty I had was that they have no numbers or names... I can understand why the artist Deborah Koff-Chapin did this- she didn't want any numerical hierarchy for the cards, nor any name that might give a positive or negative association, (I have read for people who instinctively react against The Fool when he's come up- they take offence at the name of the card. :))

However, this lack of a label does make it difficult when referring to a particular card, so I'm going to have to post the images so you'll know which one I'm talking about!

SC1Pos.jpg

I tried to narrow it down to two that I felt positively about when I went through the cards... I tried not to think about it, or analyse it too much. (I'm not all that familiar with them yet- only had them about a month now).

The first card looks peaceful- as though the figure is having loving thoughts about the people in her head... the other just has the look of self-confidence; the belief in her own abilities and power. There is a great energy about that card for me personally.

Would anyone care to discuss the cards they were attracted to in this deck?
Or have any comments about the two I have chosen?

elnor

Mi-Shell

Hi Elnor!
You are very brave to try and start a study group on the Soul Cards.
There were many threads about them over the years and some people here love them and others do find them too disturbing.
I myself am quite divided about them. I had hoped to use them during therapy sessions with some of my clients but find that people in need of help do not respond positive to them ; most see their fears awakened - which can be very helpful at times - and at times not.........

Anyway....
Each of these images invokes very different associations in me; depending on how my day went, whom I talked to, how my mood is.....
Today; and only today = Right NOW I see:
-"The crown of Ancestors" in your first card.
People that taught and influenced us, that became a part of who we are today. The blood of our soul flowing to the right of the central face.....
But I also remember, that I have seen VERY different things in this very card:
-The multitude of voices in the head of one of my clients that is diagnosed as schizophrenic by her doctors.....
- another time I saw a women thinking of all her relatives that live far away in another country and that she only sees in her memory.....
If I was to look at the image an hour from now I may see something completely diffeent yet again....
And it might well be, that the person in your second card is sitting there meditating on the image of the first card!
What would she feel?
:)

Elnor

Hello, Mi-shell-
thanks for your input! I was wondering at the lack of interest in the Soul Cards, and did do a search trying to find any previous threads on them without any luck. I understand what you mean about being divided over them- I wanted to use them to possibly provide further insights for people I do readings for, but when I got them I tried them out on myself.... ouch!

They can come too uncomfortably close to personal issues, can't they? I can imagine someone might not want to sit and discuss some of the memories and feelings that these images might stir up! :eek:

I can see what you mean about the first card I attached- the one you called 'Crown of Ancestors'... when I went back and looked at it later, I did feel that the people in her head DO look a little melancholy- they could very well be negative, self-condemning voices that constantly criticise: interesting how the same card can give such varying impressions.

I shall try and carry on for a bit longer with this study group- c'mon, everyone- they're not THAT bad! :D

elnor