Petit Lenormand history

Cerulean

Lenormamd as retranslated to Peru and Naipes/Hombre

in Books and Media section, I typed up the relevant meanings under the Book title according to the author.

The spread shared was different, but named Cross of St Andres, if I am not mistaken.

The Latin suited minors of the so called LeNormand instructions for Naipes seem close to circa 1910 Waite meanings, in descriptions, so checking 20th century Naipes with above lists and spreads may be useful to see sources.

The 19th century tarot card written meaning "according to Etteilla" by GD authors might rely on Levi and Papus or D.oucet (according to Grimaud). Lismon and other occult meaning collection and compilers took the latest style of design and may have consistently not updated meanings, but attributed them to different authors.

For instance, Lismon, aka Simon Bloquel (sp) may have a Grand Etteilla with Julia Orsini one decade and a note another decade that may or may not give another popular name to the same meanings. The meanings also of their playing card instructions might be attributed to LeNormand, but it might be more accurate to say the playing card games in the LePetit LeNormand style of a particular decade?

And the good thread findings suggest to me this was a popular form of salon game.

Perhaps Madame LeNormamd's meanings may have had several authors, perhaps?

IheartTarot

Vier Farben: Lenormand suits (revisited)

FYI I have written a new blog post about the cartomantic meanings of the German playing cards. Below is an extract (translated by me from a German text written by historian Johann Gräße):

"... bells, formerly the ornaments of princes and courtiers, which they donned on their clothes in the 13th century, represent the nobility, hearts (or red) the clergy, leaves (or green) peasants or agriculture, and acorns servants (in the Middle Ages the oak is always the emblem of the unfree and serfs, the linden however of the free and nobles) ...
German fortune-tellers regard red as the main suit, so that the gentleman or the lady, for whom the cards are being read, is represented by the king or upper knave of this suit, if they do not explicitly choose another suit. In general however red means love and happiness, especially if several red cards are lying near the main person; green really has no specific meaning on the whole, but it mostly promises a joyful, pleasant event, just as bells does, which however almost always announces money or lottery winnings, while acorns or nuts invariably indicates evil of any kind, so that, if several acorn cards are lying near the main person, it suggests the same illness, and if furthermore some lower knaves are found under them, it even predicts death ..."