Tarot in rituals

Tanga

I did ask Closrapexa if we could have a Magical use of Tarot section, but was told there weren't enough posts - maybe you and I should archive them all together?

Great idea - but... wouldn't we have to ask a Moderator or something, to do that for us?
I'm presently away on holiday earthair and won't be back to my normal home routine until the middle of next week (say 20th August) - which is when I could then spend time thinking about this sort of thing. :)

:grin: I'm into experimentation with whatever I'm studying at the time... so yes I probably fall into this category of magician - I only wish chaos magicians would stop writing about meta this and meta that :joke: I prefer to think of myself as a Womble - making good use of the things that I find :angel: Plus the Wombles use the M/W symbol from Ace of Cups https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWQMMPFtoG4

Very BIG smile. :) I will refrain from making any comments about other magical practitioners as that way leads to major dramas. ;). (though I might be dying to).
As for the W - Thankyou!. Just so happens - that you are the messenger (or Angel if you like) "repeating the message that the Universe wants me to hear" right now with this - as I've just bought that new book about the symbolism in the RWS... plus several discussions on letters in the RWS (in the RWS forum section) have been catching my eye recently. Haven't begun reading in earnest yet...

Plus when you mentioned Ace of Cups - I immediately "saw" the Page of Cups.
The magical initiate, or beginner in the psychic or esoteric practice studies.
Appropriate for this thread!

I used to practically live in Wimbledon you know?...
I like your "Womble" description.
I describe myself as a simple hedgewitch (a "Chanting HedgeWitch" - since I rather like chanting) with wide eclectic interests. ("simple" being my refuge from any finger pointing drama's that may arise.). And have met, been instructed by, and know pagans/magicians/shamans/esoteric practitioners of many sorts. Such a rich and wonderful diversity!

"Your example reminds me of Zen which is a state of mind not only exercised in seated meditation but also in doing your daily work."
Zen in Japanese (with that circle symbol that has another name...), in Chinese perhaps it's Wu Wei - the art of doing the non-doing. (sorry had to comment. Presently a student of Wing Tsun Kung Fu, which means I'm a rudimentary student of Chinese philosophy).

"The thing is, I think especially when starting something, rituals are immensely helpful. Like daily practicing an instrument at a fixed time."
Absolutely - as with anything, you cannot become the "pro" that invents their own stuff on-the-fly - without 1st having the rhythmic beginners practice (The "Kung Fu" or "hard work which results in great skill") - using the same chosen imagery so that all the associations of mind, tactile or visual body sensations, and observations of personal results become "embodied" into one's personal understanding.

"And ultimately, I'm not interested in ritual work only because of their magical power. I'm drawn to them, as well as to the Tarot, because of the inherent beauty of the performance."
YES!!!! DITTO THAT. :) :) The "poetry" somehow feeds the soul.

AND btw - I've just discovered that AT has a short list of 'Tarot and Magic' books - look up 'Tarot, books, apps and media' (Donal Tyson is there) if you haven't already.

Michael Sternbach

Donald Tyson's Portable Magic is an excellent book. It's been patiently waiting on my shelf for quite some time now to really be worked with. However, I have been busy so far with other GD stuff, such as the Middle Pillar exercise.

Another very recommendable book is Janine Renée: Tarot Spells. Renée suggests spreads combined with spells, candles, crystals etc for all kinds of purposes, and also gives hints for making your own. In contrast to Tyson, her approach is more on the creative/intuitive side.

But whatever way you choose, the Magician's visualizing mind is key.

RavenLuna

I'm another witch who uses tarot in rituals! Mostly, I decorate my seasonal altar with cards from any deck (for example, for Lughnasadh I had the Mythic's Empress next to the Hanged Man from the Druidcraft).

I do have a deck that I use exclusively for ritual - The Witches Tarot by Ellen Dugan. It was a gift that I wasn't very keen on, so as the symbols are really clear I now use it during rituals, or for display on my working altar.

I love the "Wombles-style" witchcraft :D

Farzon

Yup, everything Nisaba said [emoji106]- make everything bespoke for you and what you're doing. You are an artist working in the medium of magic, using Tarot or other items as your brush/paints.

Like Scarlet said, keep specific decks for specific magic/rituals...and if you ever dabble in anything experimental or dark, (and you will get curious where the/your boundaries/limits are) make sure you never want to use that deck for readings or happy magic ever again, as I discovered to my cost :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that if you need to be told how to do it, it doesn't work well, because it would be like working from someone else's brain/body/spirit! You'd get their intentions not your intentions. When you know how to do it, you won't need books...feel your way :livelong:

You might find this interesting http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/1799
Thanks for the link! Very interesting! I read about chaos magic before, it's a fascinating idea. I'm never sure if it wouldn't feel arbitrary to be though. Although... on the other hand, I use very individual symbolism of spirit guides I believe in as visualizations in some of my readings.

I was curious about the darker side. So much spoken about it, but not from the primary sources. So I bought The Nightside of Eden which I find very fascinating and a book about summoning demons... I didn't like the latter. It reads as if a goth went berserk [emoji48].

WAHEY! - at last someone's into 'Portable Magic' and is asking questions about it directly here on AT! :) :) :)

I am Wiccan (Alexandrian initiated - though I'm solitary now if you'd like the detail) and I love props and ritual. Like Nisaba, I have a few props (doubtful that a ritual Athame 1400 years old actually exists - as that word, Athame, is not that old, I think. Other forms of ritual blade maybe. But - I am not a historian, so I cannot make further comment on that here.), and like Nisaba, I do the "entering into the images of the cards" and "hanging of cards on the wall for their energy" amoungst a number of other things. All of which I consider "ritual".

Also - as she says - I doubt there are any recorded "traditional" Tarot rituals in existence. Apart from however the Golden Dawn have and perhaps still do use it (don't know these, as I'm not one of them).
The 1st I saw of Tarot cards being used actively in ritual was in a TV episode of Buffy the Vampire slayer over 10 years ago - where the character Willow (who is the practicing and growing witch of the series) uses it in a spell. :)

I presently have 3 Tarot decks set aside for ritual/magic:
1) Tarot of the Cat People (by Kyukendall).
I like this deck for use as Donald Tyson describes in his book (or my own variations of it) because the images are (to me) clear and stark, and I like them. They lend themselves easily to my "vision" if you like (I'm a fantasy and sci-fi fan, so Tarot set in alternate realities appeals to me) - and I find them easy to visualise in my minds eye.
I use this deck to "construct" my magic circle including banishing, calling the 4 quarters/elements, and invoking Deities/Entities etc. Then vice versa. Generally the cards are a wonderful visual guide and lend an air of "structure and gravitas" if you like - to my ritual.

I don't use them every time.
The use of Tarot as a tool in ritual, happens according to my mood, just as it does with all the other rituals items that I have.
One week - I might use my Traditional Wiccan pieces, of Wand, Chalice, Pentacle and Athame.
Another week I might use nothing but my imagination.
A third week - I might be away on holiday somewhere and just use props that have come directly out of my immediate environment - say knitting needle, tea cup, side plate and scissor (as opposed to Wand, Chalice, Pentacle and Athame).
And on the fourth week I might using Tarot for the whole thing. So nothing but the cards.

It keeps things interesting and gives a greater colourful variety of props to work with throughout the year, and during the 8 annual pagan festivals that I keep my eye on.

2) Barbara G Walker Tarot.
I've always loved the "Witch-like" imagery of this deck. Infact, it was one of my 1st decks and exploring it whilst reading the companion book by Barbara, was a strong influence on me investigating Wicca many years ago. I.e. it facilitated who and what I am in my spiritual practice today.
I've recently discovered it's great as a visual aid for when I practice my LBRP
(Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. A ritual that aims at clearing the space, and the individual of "cluttered" energy; grounding, aligning and strengthening, before the person embarks on magical ritual, or meditation, or even their usual journey into their day. Or for use possibly, if they wish to give their Tarot cards a massive "cleanse" etc. ad infinitum. Ofcourse what one is mostly "cleansing" imo - is the inside of one's brain.) :).

I recently posted this LBRP use here on AT (no replies. Perhaps I should have tried the Thoth section. :) ) - you'll need to look at the thread entitled "LBRP...and other things" (which is under 'Talking Tarot'. Sorry I'm presently unable to post the link directly to this page - I'm accessing AT via my Facebook page whilst on holiday and... it just gets a bit complicated from there. If the thread doesn't come up, look it up on my profile page under all the posts I've made. It wasn't that long ago.).

I may use either of these decks for imagery that represents other people when I'm in ritual mode - for example if I'm "sending healing thoughts" in their direction.
Y'know - like when one might use a photograph for distance healing (I know this format from Reiki - but it's not the only way people will use the photo of a person to focus on if they're "praying" for them).
I may also use the imagery from these decks as talismans for myself.
E.g. say I've been ill and my immune system appears to be slow recovering - I may choose a card that in some way speaks of swift recovery and strength and use that as imagery to meditate on - with the intension of boosting my immune system.
Or it might be my state of mind which I want to work on getting into a different shape for something particular... etc.

3) Golden Tarot (by Black). Recently just begun using this deck to communicate further with my spirit guides and perhaps at some point even my ancestors (after those recent threads on AT about using the "Tarot for ancestor work". Again - you'll have to search. I do have "spirit guides" but had never thought of communicating with them via cards - and as for my ancestors - well, I explain in the "Tarot for ancestor work" thread my personal reasons for why I'm somewhat reluctant to do ancestor work ;) :) ).

I also have the Pagan Lenormand which I suspect will become ritual deck no 4) at some point...
I shall discover how in time...

I see earthair may be into chaos magic. :) ( :) :) :) and including "dark" comments).

I might modify earth air's comment a bit here:
When people are beginning at the beginning - they do need to be "told" how to do something. Either through reading about how these things are "done": traditionally from grimmoires and the like, or/and in more modern forms, from having for example - the Reiki instructress say "This is the way to do this - using these symbols" - or the colour analyst say "this colour is a more peaceful and appealing colour - repaint your house with it and it's more likely that you'll sell it". etc. etc. etc. (magic is everywhere in many forms). What has to be added to that, is the understanding that the magic is really within the person (back to Nisaba again) - and their BELIEF. And - in the longstanding idea that "traditionally" practiced things (over and over through time) have greater power, simply because so many more people believe in them, that they perhaps develop a "group conscious" energy of their own. Or - that everyone has subconsciously "bought" into the belief.

The basic structure of something, and the roots or protocol, has to learned first (as with all things - in studying of any kind) - before improvisation and personalisation can follow.

Enjoy Donald Tyson's "Portable Magic" !

Thanks for your reply! The last part of your post exactly captures my feelings.

I have the "instructions" to the LBRP in my GD compendium, I didn't try it yet... It's more like I'm getting to magic via the Tarot not vice versa. I'll be sure to check on your thread!

Your list of decks is enabling... [emoji28] I already looked for the Barbara Walker Tarot but couldn't find it for a price I can afford right now [emoji20]. I love it's weird feeling.

Farzon

Like Scarlet said, keep specific decks for specific magic/rituals...and if you ever dabble in anything experimental or dark, (and you will get curious where the/your boundaries/limits are) make sure you never want to use that deck for readings or happy magic ever again, as I discovered to my cost :rolleyes:

Donald Tyson's Portable Magic is an excellent book. It's been patiently waiting on my shelf for quite some time now to really be worked with. However, I have been busy so far with other GD stuff, such as the Middle Pillar exercise.

Another very recommendable book is Janine Renée: Tarot Spells. Renée suggests spreads combined with spells, candles, crystals etc for all kinds of purposes, and also gives hints for making your own. In contrast to Tyson, her approach is more on the creative/intuitive side.

But whatever way you choose, the Magician's visualizing mind is key.
A question about decks for magic cake to my mind: are you speaking of decks as in a deck of specific cardstock or a deck of specific symbols? So, when I use my RWS for readings, should I habe a separate RWS for magic or should I never use a RWS in readings again once I used another one in magic?

After a bit of reading Tyson and practicing visualisation I feel confirmed in my opinion that the power/energy/whatever is not in the cards of paper but in the symbols and their perception in the mind.

Am I clear enough? Any thoughts on this?

Michael Sternbach

A question about decks for magic cake to my mind: are you speaking of decks as in a deck of specific cardstock or a deck of specific symbols? So, when I use my RWS for readings, should I habe a separate RWS for magic or should I never use a RWS in readings again once I used another one in magic?

After a bit of reading Tyson and practicing visualisation I feel confirmed in my opinion that the power/energy/whatever is not in the cards of paper but in the symbols and their perception in the mind.

Right, the cards by themselves don't do anything, it is indeed the mind of the operator that creates the magical link. However, physical manifestation will be enhanced by manipulating physical objects (such as cards) as compared to it all happening just in the mind.

Also, your cards will start carrying the vibrations of yourself and your activities with them over time. I am mostly using the Thoth both for reading and Magick, but a different deck for each, as one finds often suggested in books. Perhaps that wouldn't really be necessary though, I like Amanda's attitude to simply use whatever deck offers itself for a certain task.

Surely, I don’t use any deck for purposes that I would consider improper.

smw

Talismans, objects have been considered charged with magical powers etc, all across mythology and folklore. Makes you wonder why.

I suspect that when you work with any objects ( like Tarot) that you are creating at some level an astral copy of that object that is being charged with your own feelings and thoughts. This overlaps with the physical object - there is a connection - so the It's only paper view is consistent at the same time there are not(anymore)... The overlap of internal and external space.

In a hurry !

earthair

In my experience I was using a certain card in a certain deck to represent a very toxic person in my life who I needed *cough* separation from. Now the magic definitely worked (yay) but because I wasn't quite specific enough in my intentions, something else came into play, involving another card...so as a result I can't read with that deck without thinking about what went off at a tangent! So yes, if your main reading deck is RWS, then I wouldn't use that for magic of the experimental variety.

I use a copy of the deck I designed, because it has pure symbols and I designed it so that the pips are useable in the quantity you need, but spreadable around- ie if you need the 10 cups, then in my deck you have not one card, but 10 individual cups which can be arranged in the sign/shape/sigil you require! Plus the way my courts overlay as stars in any direction is very handy :cool2:

Tanga

For me - I would use a separate deck (or otherwise there's always trying it out - You could be another Amanda? :) ). But it could be another RWS - though I would probably choose a different version (clone). e.g. Say I read with the centennial - I might do magic with the Golden RWS, or Illumintated Tarot - which are clones.
The "separate deck" means I can somehow shelve (in my mind) the associated use of it away from other kinds of practice. A bit like having ritual tools of wand and chalice, or a ritual necklace.

:) Yes. The cards are the tools you use to help develop your mental skills.
But - you don't even need tools if that's more your thing. (I love tools! - gotta have 'em!).

Talismans, objects have been considered charged with magical powers etc, all across mythology and folklore. Makes you wonder why.

I suspect that when you work with any objects (like Tarot) that you are creating at some level an astral copy of that object that is being charged with your own feelings and thoughts. This overlaps with the physical object - there is a connection - so the It's only paper view is consistent at the same time there are not (anymore)... The overlap of internal and external space.

In a hurry !

- because we like mystery, great meaning and feeling that things should be special?
:)
I like the creation of astral objects - that's exactly it. And as each individuals astral world is their own - such tools are invulnerable, unless ofcourse you believe otherwise.

I use a copy of the deck I designed, because it has pure symbols and I designed it so that the pips are useable in the quantity you need, but spreadable around- ie if you need the 10 cups, then in my deck you have not one card, but 10 individual cups which can be arranged in the sign/shape/sigil you require! Plus the way my courts overlay as stars in any direction is very handy :cool2:

Hmmmmmmmmm.
I likey... hadn't thought about drawing sigils using cards.
Thanks for that idea earthair!

smw

:) because we like mystery, great meaning and feeling that things should be special[\QUOTE]

absolutely:)

Charging objects- I wonder if this is inbuilt in us in some way, thinking of how children can have their magical vitally important teddy (or piece of cloth even) which is real and not real at the same time.