The Book of the Law Study Group 2.15

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
If you look at Atu VII you'll see a well trained ego-complex in the shape of the four elemental kerubs. They look like they are ready to pull that chariot anywhere the Charioteer wants to go. Most of us aren't so lucky though. Our kerubs, through habit and learned behaviour patterns, like doing their own thing. And even though the Charioteer urges them on, they don't go very far or even pull in the wrong direction. :rolleyes:

Ah thanks Aeon, that is a useful image. I'm seeing the Chariot as the ideal Ego situation, and the Prince of Swords as the more usual. That's an interesting comparison I think :)

Aeon418

similia said:
Ah thanks Aeon, that is a useful image. I'm seeing the Chariot as the ideal Ego situation, and the Prince of Swords as the more usual. That's an interesting comparison I think :)
;) Notice how all the Kerubs are equally proportioned. If one were bigger and stronger than the others the Chariot would be pulled off line. Balancing and "Adjustment" are needed.

Look where the Chariot is on the Tree of Life. Binah is the summit of Mount Abiegnus, the goal to which we are lured by Nuit's, "To Me To me." But to get there you have to pass the tests of Geburah. Not for nothing is ABRAHADABRA called the Reward of Ra-Hoor-Khuit.

The 5's are the HGA's way of trying to re-balance the scales (Karma) and pull our Chariot back into line. It's not punishment though. It's a lesson on the path that leads to Saturn/Binah.

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
The Fool can be a reference to Aleph, but it is dependent on the level of interpretation. Remember earlier in this study how one particular use of "Fool" was used to indicate that Crowley was both an idiot and an high grade initiate. A contradiction? Or different levels of interpretation?

Yes, that's where I went awry. I did see it as a contradiction.

Aeon418 said:
Thou hast no right but to do thy will. ;)

Hadit is very disdainful of the ego, when it doesn't do it's job. The ego is an experience gathering tool. It's supposed to pull our Chariot according to our Will. If you look at Atu VII you'll see a well trained ego-complex in the shape of the four elemental kerubs. They look like they are ready to pull that chariot anywhere the Charioteer wants to go. Most of us aren't so lucky though. Our kerubs, through habit and learned behaviour patterns, like doing their own thing. And even though the Charioteer urges them on, they don't go very far or even pull in the wrong direction. :rolleyes:

Me neither. I've got whiplash. :laugh:
Boy the ego is tricky, hard of hearing, myopic and stubborn.
Oh wait, I guess that's me. :|

Aeon418 said:
Ra-Hoor-Khuit the god of War and Vengeance. War (The Tower) tears down old worn out structures. Vengeance rebalances the scales. The counter-balance used on these scales is always Geburah. Take a look at the the four 5's to see the "bad tasting medicine" for all your elemental ailments.

Is you Fire not hot enough? A dose of the 5 of Wands will sort you right out.
Is your water too clingy and won't let things go? The 5 of Cups is purification for the soul.
Does your Air think it knows it all? Well the 5 of Swords is gonna burst it's bubble.
And does your Earth sit around all day. The 5 of Disks knows where to put it's boot. :laugh:

There's a lot of this medicine in Chapter 3. ;)

Chapter Three seems to need a lot of preparation and explaining. But I will try re-reading it with the fives in mind.

Once again, you have been very helpful.
Thank-you.

AW

thorhammer

Thankyou all for the discussion in this thread - it has been most enlightening. Especially what Aeon said about Adjustment, the Hermit, War and Vengeance.

When I read the verse, the part about being nine with the fools and eight with the just struck me as perhaps signifying that the just has become one of the nine. That a certain level of understanding has allowed that person to commune in a very individual, intimate way, with Hadit and become one of the nine, so there are only eight *other* whatsits. I doubt that's technically correct and will probably embarrass me, but it seemed to be profound in my head anyway.

\m/ Kat

Aeon418

thorhammer said:
I doubt that's technically correct and will probably embarrass me, but it seemed to be profound in my head anyway.
Technically correct or not, it's part of your personal interpretation. If others agree or disagree is beside the point. There may be an objectively correct interpretation to many of the verses. But that still leaves a lot of room for subjective personal interpretation based on feelings and intuition.
for who doth not understand these runes shall make a great miss.
Understand is Binah, the sephira of the soul-intuition. To rely on reason alone to interpret these verses is liable to lead to a "great miss".