A Thoth Beginner's Library?

teomat

I've recently decided to study the Thoth, as I would like to get to grips with this deck and the philosophy behind it (if I can!). I have DuQuette's book and the Book on Thoth on the way, but I was wondering what other books would be useful for a 'Thoth beginner's library'?

I'm also a newbie with regards to astrology, Qabala and the Golden Dawn. I know there are loads of books on these subjects, but I was wondering if anyone can suggest any that are particularly useful for studying the Thoth (bearing in mind that I'm a newbie :))?

I'm wary of buying random astrology books as I understand that modern astrology (which feature Neptune, Uranus, Pluto etc) is somewhat different to that used in the deck (I think). I've seen quite a few websites that might be useful, however I would also like some good old-fashioned books too.

Any recommendations? :)

thorhammer

Book T (aka Liber T, the book not the deck) , which is available online as a PDF in many places, will help you as well.

Truthfully, I've got so many of Crowley's works now that I'd have a hard time separating out the most useful - I've brought all of them to bear on my understanding of the Thoth at some point or another.

Tarot and the Magus by Paul Hughes-Barlow is designed for the Thoth and the Opening of the Key "spread".

Steer clear of Banzjaf (sp?) and Arrien if you want to use the Thoth as originally intended. I think you're on the right track with DuQuette and BoT - I've only just gotten DuQuette, truth to tell, and haven't even opened it - and yet I have a good grounding in the deck so far. So don't stress. I started on the Book of Thoth - made no sense to me so I followed its little breadcrumb trails and kept coming back to it, and tiny flakes of confusion would come away to reveal glittering truths . . . it's a long, slow process, unlike that with any other deck. So be prepared for an epic journey :)

\m/ Kat

gregory

As you have Duquette on the Thoth - may I suggest his Chicken Qabalah for dessert ?

Readable - which is more than can be said for most. Also VERY funny. Which helps.

teomat

Thanks for the suggestions Kat and Gregory. I've tried to study the Thoth several times before, but would always feel overwhelmed by all the additional things that I'd need to learn. This time however I think I'm ready to stretch my brain cells.

I got the Book of Thoth today and was pleasantly surprised at how much of it I was able to follow. But I think this is due to me having read DuQuette's book first. I've tried reading the BoT online before, and yet couldn't really take it in - it's weird, but I actually understand things a whole lot more by reading a book than by trying to digest info online.

I noticed that Paul Hughes-Barlow has a very good website about the Thoth too - it'll definitely come in handy. I'll look up his book too (if it contains all this info as well).

The Chicken Qabalah book looks VERY interesting, especially as it's by DuQuette too. I could just about follow his intro to the Tree of Life in his Thoth book, so any further help with this will definitely be useful.

Just need a good astrology book, and then I'll be all set to go! Any recommendations there at all? :)

outoftheashes

Another Thoth Beginner's Addition

'Tarot the Handbook' by Angeles Arrien is a solid beginning book on the Thoth Tarot. I came across it in a used bookstore and it was extremely helpful in getting a feel for the deck. Explains astrological associations for every card as well as basic discussion of symbolism within the cards. It also includes worksheet templates for readings that can be reproduced, which as a useful tool for beginner's with this deck. Not sure if it is still in print though.

gregory

outoftheashes said:
'Tarot the Handbook' by Angeles Arrien is a solid beginning book on the Thoth Tarot.
ER - see thorhammer's post above. There is a whole thread here on this particular book..... I would disagree STRONGLY, and would avoid it at all costs.

Le Fanu

gregory said:
..... I would disagree STRONGLY, and would avoid it at all costs.
that's what I'd heard too...

*makes sign of the cross*

There's also Snuffin's Thoth Companion which I found wonderfully complimentary to the Duquette book. It is almost as if he does what DuQuette doesn't do and vice-versa. These two books plus Crowley's own text and your own impressions are more than enough I'd say...

What's the official line on Zieglers Mirror to the Soul? (just out of curiosity) I have it and it seems a bit of a waste of time to be honest. His "information" for each card reads to me just like his impressions of the card and with no real authority. His impressions of what the Prince of XYZ is doing seem no more valid then yours or mine... Impressions and nothing more. What's the point?

gregory

I don't know the official line on Ziegler; I know mine.

It is a shame it is printed on too hefty a paper for use in the traditional place where paper is needed.

Then I remember that actually it makes me laugh at times.... })

Snuffin. Good point. I love that book.

Lillie

There is a wonderful book called, I think, The Truth about Tarot' by Gerald Suster.

It's partly made up with quotes from The Wake World and partly a rant about things that Mr Suster don't like, topped off with a game to play with your thoth deck.

Well cool.

Worth a read for anyone.

gregory

That too..... Scion - I think it it was - procured that for me. And if he bothered when I asked - it must be good.

Teomat - are you ready to leave this thread and head for the bookstore ??? ;) You will be broke if you don't call a halt ! (I know this.....)