Thoth's borders

Grigori

So tonight I found myself thinking, what is the design on the border supposed to be? Where is it from, is it more than something random to surround the image?

I noticed that in some ways its similar to the graphic used on many of Crowley's texts, e.g. this cover of Liber AL. http://www.weiserantiquarian.com/catalogthirtyeight/liberalmagchilde34719.jpg

So like the back, it seems it might be a Harris stylized version of something else. But what..?

Lillie

It always reminded me of butterfly wings. So perhaps you are right and it a stylised version of the winged solar disc like on what you showed.

Bernice

You mean the wings at the top? I think it's very like the way Isis is sometimes depicted.

Bee :)

Grigori

I s'pose the wings at the top, but also the whole thing generally is reminiscent of the front page of his texts. But I don't know what the front page even is based on, or what it's text may say or represent.

Lillie

In the picture you linked to the columns at the sides are djed pillars.

You should google that and see what you think it means. It was a common symbol in ancient egypt and apparently there was some yearly ritual where they raised a djed pillar. Also I think little ones were put in tombs as some kind of protection.

But what it actually means all seems a bit confused to me.

Grigori

Thanks Lillie, that is intriguing and very useful. I had a little google and the djed pillars apparently represent stability and may be seen as the backbone of Osiris. Above them on each side might be the feathers of Maat, and across the top the winged disk of Hadit. A very liberal interpretation may be to see a representation of the current aeon, the last aeon and the next aeon. Nuit is absent, though the overall shape of a "door" could fit for her.

The hieroglyphs across the bottom match those on the Stele of Revealing, the centre part is the same as what appears below Hadit on top of the Stele, and the two lateral sections match hieroglyphs under the altar between Ra-Hoor-Khuit and Ankh-f-n-Khonsu.

The translations I found don't seem to say a lot.
Top: "Hadit, the great god, lord of the sky" or "Behdet (? Hadit ?), the Great God, the Lord of Heaven".

Under altar: "bread, water, cattle and fowl" or "Oxen, Geese, Wine, (?) Bread".

This leaves me to wonder when and why Crowley came up with this design.

Grigori

Ah turns out if you the full article you learn more :laugh: The image is known as the "liber portal".

An image for the hieroglyphs showing the details can also be found here also.

Grigori

Can't find any reference to the border in the Book of Thoth, nor in Snuffin or DuQuette.

I found these couple of references in the letters between Crowley and Harris.

Lady Frieda Harris said:
Dear Aleister,

Thank you for your letter I will reply later to that.

I am sending you a sample of the top of the surround of the card as I have written "Swords" at the top. I find people cannot tell Trumps from Swords or Cups from Disks so I propose to write Swords, Cups, Disks, Wands, Trumps at the top. Owing to the black out I think this particular sample Swords is too dark it should be the same colour as the mount not to show so much. I may be able to wash it down but I have to horde [sic] this mount as I can't get any more--please return this one.

I have done as you suggested to the Swords. Thank you "Mr Crowley". You were quite right.

Ever yours--

Frieda Harris

[P.S.] Tried again got it right by sponging only not quite the texture I want-- others will be better!

Lady Frieda Harris said:
Saturday, July 12th [n.y.]

Dear Aleister,

I am quite unable to find the O.T.O. papers. I saw them at Richmond, I think, in London at Morton House. But I have repeatedlly looked there for them, it is useless to ask anyone else to look for me.

Today I have had an exhaustive & exhausting search in all my papers here.

Can I have a fresh copy!

I enclose [L]4-4.

I think I am not sufficiently instructed to take such a responsible job in U.S.A. I will do some work on it & you will judge.

The Adjustment is being queer with me. She has, after all, insisted on being Beardsley! Also Harlequin comes in & out of it so I must have to submit. But why Harlequin? Is there any connection? Also she won't sit down but stands on her toes just balanced. The design-result is good. That blue is cobalt I take it. The instruction says Blue-Blue green. Pale green Emerald. That Emerald is a vile pigment in poster paints.

I like the idea of a weekly letter on the Chinese Yi. Also as told to an idiot appeals to me & is frightfully good for you.

I feel I am on the move. The back of the Card will be done next & the reprinting of mount.

What about the enlarged set of replicas. A big work but it can be done.

I have sent you only 1 throw-out in order that you should not become parcelbound. You can have more.

I am so glad you are a bit better but I do think those bouts of asthma must exhaust you.

The dentist at Stroud writes "Please let me have a pack of those cards of which you show me the photographs. I can't get them out of my mind." Which shows him!

Yours somewhat anxious about O.T.O. Papers

Frieda Harris

Grigori

Well I found an answer that has some appeal to me, still not sure its "correct", but set my mind at rest anyway.
http://darkbooks.org/images/books/A...nox Vol IV No II The Vision and the Voice.jpg

The front cover of The Equinox volume IV is a painting by Fuller, entitled "The Gate of the Abyss". Like the Liber Portal graphic it has the Winged Disk across the top, the Djed Pillars and plumes of Maat, as well as a variety of other details. It represents the entrance into the Abyss, that the aspirant crosses on the way to Binah going up the tree of life.

I don't know if the borders of the deck are intended to be a representation of this, or even if the title pages on the liber's are the same thing, but to me it seems quite likely and at the least it seems possible (I think probable).

This would mean that the two most significant milestones in an aspirants magical career are illustrated on each card of the deck. Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel which is considered to becoming a usual achievement during the new Aeon of Horus (rather than the rarity it was in the Aeon of Osiris) is illustrated on the backs with the Rose Cross.

Crossing the Abyss which was considered impossible in the Aeon of Osiris and considered now possible in the Aeon of Horus could be considered as illustrated on the front of each deck in the border.

If anyone comes across something that confirms my suspicions, I'd love to hear about it :)

Attachments

• Aleister Crowley - The Equinox Vol IV No II The Vision and the Voice.jpg
    Aleister Crowley - The Equinox Vol IV No II The Vision and the Voice.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 143