Sacrilege

Pen

I have quite a few different Thoths - they vary so in colour and contrast, and I'm always looking for the perfect one.

But having just practice-trimmed a small dull one, I was comparing the others to decide which of the large ones to trim when I noticed something disturbing.

The AG Muller blue box 1996 large edition has been squashed, the proportions altered. It's very obvious if you look at the Fool's face, which is longer in the large AG Muller 1986 edition. At first I wondered which was the version closest to the original paintings, so, looking for circles I compared the Star cards, in which one would expect Lady Harris to have made the planet a decent sphere. It seems clear from this comparison that the 1986 edition is the nearest to spherical and therefore the original. I guess this is logical too, as computer technology might not have allowed this sort of distortion then. Comparison of the width to length ratio of the two different editions confirms the distortion, and OK, it's not much, but I so prefer the original Fool to the new squater one.

How very dare they....!

Pen

gregory

?????

Please post scans. Thank the lord I am so OLD and have the 1986. I must now get out the new Konigsfurt one (allegedly the truest EVER !) and see if....

Pen

Scans

Hope this works... the 1986 edition cards are on the left.

Attachments

• ThothFoolCompare.jpg
    ThothFoolCompare.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 184
  • ThothStarCompare.jpg
    ThothStarCompare.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 177

gregory

That's shocking. I have to do some cooking :( but when I'm done I'll check my new Konigsfurt.

Must alert Lillie !

Pen

The contrast and the saturation of the colours has been bumped up in the newest edition and the print quality is nowhere near as good as in the earlier edition (notice the vertical lines). I'd have thought my scanner was defective if I hadn't scanned them all in at the same time.

Pen

Lillie

gregory said:
That's shocking. I have to do some cooking :( but when I'm done I'll check my new Konigsfurt.

Must alert Lillie !

I have a vague feeling that this has been mentioned before.

Anyway. It's shocking.

What's the problem with this deck?

What is so hard about making a good printing of it?

RLG

Dwtw

Just to confirm, you are comparing the large size decks from 1986 and 1996? 140 x 95 mm?
I think I'm seeing the same thing on the Fortune card, but a little less noticeable.
The images are definitely different proportions; 1996 seems to be about 1mm shorter and 4mm wider.
The gold box cards are different proportions - supposedly true to the originals for the first time.

Litlluw

Pen

RLG said:
Dwtw

Just to confirm, you are comparing the large size decks from 1986 and 1996? 140 x 95 mm?
I think I'm seeing the same thing on the Fortune card, but a little less noticeable.
The images are definitely different proportions; 1996 seems to be about 1mm shorter and 4mm wider.
The gold box cards are different proportions - supposedly true to the originals for the first time.

Litlluw

Yes, the large AG Muller cards from 1986 and 1996 (large blue box A and large blue box B on the TG comparison table.

And I guess the difference is bound to be less noticable on some cards than others.

Re. the gold box cards - do you mean the white box with the gold inner slipcase?

Pen

Edited to add link to TG comparison table.

gregory

No - one that isn't on TG (as I recall) that came out about 2 years ago from AGM - now Konigsfurt - ONLY in the smaller sizes, and ONLY in German..

This one. And to my great relief - it does indeed have a circular globe on the Star. It's also definitely on the paler side. No time to scan just now - but here are a couple I made earlier (for my own catalogue !) It comes in a classy gold lift top box.

Attachments

• thoth new.jpg
    thoth new.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 117

graspee

If there is a difference, it's very slight. By your outrage, I was expecting something akin to watching a widescreen movie in 4:3 or something!