The Book of the Law Study Group 3.12

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
In my opinion Ordeal X is the path to K&C of HGA.

The cross (X) is commonly accepted as a Phallic symbol. The Phallus is also the elemental Pyramid that we've talked about in the past. Draw a square around a letter [X] and you might be able to see a Pyramid viewed from above. Part of Ordeal X is the raising/perfecting of this elemental Pyramid. The second part is uniting it with the O, the Cup, the Yoni.

Cool. It reminds me of the Ace of Disks.

Aeon418 said:
Draw a circle, O. Now draw a cross in the circle, X. You've just formulated the Rosy Cross, the Lingam-Yoni. There's a fancy version on the back of the Thoth cards. These are all symbols of K&C.

If you want to see an externalised and symbolic representation of Ordeal X, read one of the Gospels and see Jesus as a developing Ruach that under goes trials and tests. Sometimes he has doubts and worries. He is tempted (strengthed) by the Devil. At weak moments he wishes that the Cup would pass from him. Even when he is Nailed(Vav) on the Cross (X) he crys out, "Eloi Eloi lama sabachthani". (My God, my God. Why have you forsaken me?) After his death he spends 3 days and nights in the Tomb (Womb, O) and becomes a very different person.

I hadn't related the tomb to the womb yet. I was just getting the Vav'ed to the cross idea lately.

AW

Grigori

Verse like this one make me anxious for the future. If we compare the Christian experience of the initiates text (The Old Testament and parts of the New) which has come to be interpreted in the most literal and vulgur way and used to justify all sorts of nonsence and absurdity, imagine the outcome of a literal interpretation of lines this this one. I'm not sure its any better in a tradition like Thelema that rejects group dogma in exchange for personal interpretation, when accompanied by the idea that each persons interpretation is valid. I s'pose we're back to a discussion about conflict between the "Will" of one person and another.

Just something I'm thinking about.

brightcrazystar

Ethically, it is wrong nowadays. Or is it?

In the future, it could be very possible this is "literally" a reference to a growing preeminence in selective birth and food stock. Selective breeding already occurs, and is getting more advanced and more reliable.

All the unborn are technically sacrificed.

Crowely felt WWII has alot to do with the book. Nazi Germany started selective breeding.

As otherwise, the mens of a women IS a sacrifice of an unborn child, in a very literal way.

panpiper

I generally tend towards a more "literal" interpretation of Liber AL. But I've never read this verse as saying "sacrifice a child". I think a practical application is something like, after you've birthed a new creation of any kind you will need to sacrifice little and big things in your sphere to provide that creation with nourishment.

...Or after your child is born, it's time for a barbecue :)

brightcrazystar

It should be known that even Crowley felt that people who felt that humanity was not past the evolutionary path of human sacrifice in the sense that is commonly criminal were laughable people.

His Chapter in Magick in Theory and Practice says as much. We are the only Sacrifice we can make that makes a damn.

I mention this cause he gets a bad rap for this sometimes.

Grigori

brightcrazystar said:
It should be known that even Crowley felt that people who felt that humanity was not past the evolutionary path of human sacrifice in the sense that is commonly criminal were laughable people.

I'm not really understanding this sentence BCS, could you rephrase it for me?