Trimming the Thoth

rwcarter

If given a choice between the following versions of the Thoth, which would you trim in order to see the sacred geometry and why?
  1. beat up gold slipcase with Ace Disks printed upside down, 8 Cups missing the 8 and cards in generally fair condition (although a few have slight creases and a couple have creases all the way across the cards)
  2. pristine version of the Thoth Tarot Cards that came without a box but has the varied blue borders but doesn't have the misprintings on it
  3. a "Greenie"
  4. a "small card size" edition
  5. none cause it's not really worth it

A certain collector I know has raved about her trimmed copy and how much easier it is to see the sacred geometry. And since I have so many copies now and I'm not afraid of trimming, I'd love to see it for myself.

Rodney

rachelcat

My trimmed pocket Swiss is 2.75 x 1.75 inches, and it's just cute as it wanna be. It's my purse/carry deck. Wherever I go, it go! (Sorry, seems like it's my day for silly talking!)

I also trimmed a US Games green box large deck, which brings it to about the same size as a medium deck.

It's definitely worth it. I'm not all geometry with it--I just like the way it looks--and getting rid of the "scary" titles/keywords.

Those are the only trims I've done. I guess the only ones I've thought necessary so far in my life!

I don't really know which of your collection to advise you to trim. Being me, I advise you to trim one that's easily replaceable!

Le Fanu

Oh rodney, can I send you a pristine large brand new AG Muller Thoth and you send me your one with the misprinted Ace of Disks (not Pents!) and 8 of Cups? PLEASE! :D

I have two brand new large AG Muller Thoths and the only Thoth I don't have is a misprinted one!!!

OR, even better, can I send you my large, (well) AG Muller trimmed Thoth in exchange??

Or do you have an urge to trim NOW!!!

jackdaw*

rwcarter said:
  1. beat up gold slipcase with Ace Disks printed upside down, 8 Cups missing the 8 and cards in generally fair condition (although a few have slight creases and a couple have creases all the way across the cards)
NOT this one! I did that, and it turns out that the pictures within the borders are not all the same size, so you wind up with a very uneven and unshufflable deck!

The large USG or AG Muller ones are a great size when trimmed, or the 3-magi purple box USG is a lovely portable size when trimmed.

Le Fanu

*fretting and pacing and hand-wringing and wondering if rodney has already started*

firecatpickles

Not a greenie.

Grigori

I've only trimmed a large green box USG version and it's delightful :) Lines up beautifully and handles so much better.

I'd suggest you send those lovely historical decks to me and I'll send you a nice modern USG one to trim. Heck I'll even trim it for you. Please ignore Le Fanu, he is forbidden from deck begging in threads due to his stubborn refusal to give me his Mantegnas :laugh:

Debra

I just trimmed a medium one (the 3 magi purple box). It's good for this purpose because you can lay out lots of cards without having to do it on the floor :laugh: For sheer aesthetic impact, one of the common US Games big size can't be beat. That's what I would do. Bet you could trade one of your backup something-or-others for one.

Please don't trim any of the exciting or rare ones, Rodney.

brightcrazystar

rwcarter said:
If given a choice between the following versions of the Thoth, which would you trim in order to see the sacred geometry and why?

I would print out copies of the card images on my printer and look at trimming them, cause at that point, I am not trimming a collector's item and I am able to make them much larger if I want to. Then you could even pack them in a pdf and make a poster of them.

To each their own, though. I am not cuttng my deck up though. I would if I felt confident to trim, get a deck and trim it, but ahhh..

Stormdancer

Grigori said:
I've only trimmed a large green box USG version and it's delightful :) Lines up beautifully and handles so much better.

I'd suggest you send those lovely historical decks to me and I'll send you a nice modern USG one to trim. Heck I'll even trim it for you. Please ignore Le Fanu, he is forbidden from deck begging in threads due to his stubborn refusal to give me his Mantegnas :laugh:

S*cks to be you, LeFanu :p....:joke: (((LeFanu)))

I just trimmed my large USG....just lovely!!!

But....I kept the bottom edges 'cause I'm a Thoth newbie and I NEED that info. When I trimmed the minors, I just kept to that pattern....UNTIL the last card...(I suffer from last card trimming mistakes). Once I saw that last card, I kind wish I'd trimmed the minors differently.