The Book of the Law Study Group 3.15

Aeon418

Verse 15 - Samekh - Atu XIV Art. This is a fiery path of trial, test, and probation. It is also the place of the Dark Night of the Soul.

In the previous verse it was the Beast who was addressed by the word, Ye. I assume the same applies here. It is the Beast who shall be sad. The word sad makes me think of AL II:56.
Begone! ye mockers; even though ye laugh in my honour ye shall laugh not long: then when ye are sad know that I have forsaken you.
This in turn makes me think of this famous Biblical verse. Mark 15:34.
And at the ninth hour, Jesus shouted in a loud voice, "Eloi Eloi lama sabacthani?" which is translated, "My God my God, why have you forsaken me?"
Here we see the initiate undergoing the trials and tests of initiation. To give you some idea of this trial by fire it is worth noting that the quality normally associated with the letter Samekh is Wrath, as in the Wrath of God.

In previous threads we have talked about the Will flowing through us as an engergizing and empowering force. But we have also seen the consequences of blocking the Will. Those consequences usually showed them selves through the 5's of Tarot and the sephira, Geburah. As confirmation of this the word wrath in Hebrew, RVGZ, is 216. This is the also the value of Geburah(GBVRH). The path of Samekh is a narrow path, and if the wayward tendencies of your Ruach (mockers?) cause you to wander you will experience the Wrath of this path.

Food for thought.

There are 19 letters in this verse. 19 is the value of the name, Job, AIVB. Anyone familiar with the Bible knows how God put him through the mill.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_(biblical_figure)
Job is a "blessed man" whos integrity is challenged by Satan.
Satan is ShTN. Shin - Fire. Teth - Light. Nun - Sex Force. Atu XIV Art is a melting pot for all three. It takes Strength to keep your integrity when the heat gets turned up. })

This is verse 160. This is the value of the name, Cain. Yep, the same guy who killed Abel because God didn't like his cabbages. Abel offered blood (DM=44) which is life.
III x 15 = 45. ADM, Adam. "The shedding of blood is necessary, for God did not hear the children of Eve until blood was shed." Shedding the blood of Adam - A / DM - leaves only the letter Aleph - the Ox.
Afterward God put the mark of initiation on Cain's forehead. The Mark of the Beast, which is an O with an X in it.

The blessed Beast (BRKH) + (RVCh) = 441. Make him SAD(65), 441 + 65 = 506.
506 is ShVR the OX. The Ordeal X that is over seen by the Hierophant - Taurus.

The promise of this verse is in the word SAD, which is 65, Adonai - LVX.
Once the Ordeal X is completed so is this 160th verse. 506 + 160 = 666.
And even Geburah (216) conceals the same. 6 x 6 x 6 = 216.

Aeon418

The word, Wrath, is only used once in Liber AL. II:24. Oddly enough this is also verse 90 in the book as a whole. 90 is of course Tzaddi and Atu IV The Emperor.
Behold! these be grave mysteries; for there are also of my friends who be hermits. Now think not to find them in the forest or on the mountain; but in beds of purple, caressed by magnificent beasts of women with large limbs, and fire and light in their eyes, and masses of flaming hair about them; there shall ye find them. Ye shall see them at rule, at victorious armies, at all the joy; and there shall be in them a joy a million times greater than this. Beware lest any force another, King against King! Love one another with burning hearts; on the low men trample in the fierce lust of your pride, in the day of your wrath.
The day of your wrath/Samekh. Chapter III verse 18 (attributed to the Emperor) is full of fire and violence and makes many people uneasy. But this verse may indicate the proper spirit needed by someone in the "day of Wrath/Samekh" when they are trying to deal with the obstructive aspects of self (low men) that are out of alignment with the Will.

brightcrazystar

In Liber XXXI, this is interesting, the "Y" and the "e" - not his usual cursive style. aso he mispells thereof. it is clear it has an extra "f"

http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0031.html?num=48

all the numbering is standard to line for reference, and to me should not be spacemarks...

So the last two verses could easily be seen to read:

You shall see that blessed hour, o blessed Beast,
and thou the Scarlet Concubine of his desire!
you shall be sad therof.

I think this is actually a reference to the hour of crowley's physical death, where his most solemn moments occurred. The person left as his excutor was Lady Frieda Harris, who once even died her hair red for him. She was wrought with grief.

6 days after his death, Lady Harris wrote to Frederic Mellinger, an O.T.O. member in Germany, on 7 December 1947:

He was well taken care of. I made him have a nurse about 3 months ago as he was dirty & neglected & he had Watson who was most devoted & the Symonds were as nice as they knew how to be. At the last Mrs. McAlpine & the boy were there. I saw him the day he died, but he did not recognize me. I think Mrs. McAlpine was with him but she says there was no struggle, just stopped breathing I shall miss him terribly An irreplaceable loss Love is the law, love under will Yours Sincerely Frieda Harris."

I saw him the day he died, but he did not recognize me.

Grigori

This line is a surprise to me. I had the feeling we were building up to something exciting, something good, something we were waiting for expectantly. But instead we've reached a point of sadness.

I'm feeling disappointed, forlorn, one could say this passage of the book has left me sad thereof.

Aeon418

Chapter II has a lot to say about sadness and sorrow. ;)

If this verse is the path of Samekh than a certain Veil of Sorrow must be passed in order to experience a Solar Rebirth. Paroketh.

But up next is the Dweller on the Threshold. })
Grigori said:
This line is a surprise to me. I had the feeling we were building up to something exciting, something good, something we were waiting for expectantly. But instead we've reached a point of sadness.
Did you forget verse 1?

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
Did you forget verse 1?

No, but I was hoping it would get here sooner. I'm a premature abrahadbra-later and don't want to have to bear up in my rapture all the way until the end of the verse. I'd rather do it now :p

Aeon418

Grigori said:
No, but I was hoping it would get here sooner. I'm a premature abrahadbra-later and don't want to have to bear up in my rapture all the way until the end of the verse. I'd rather do it now :p
No one would ever guess you were an Aries. :rolleyes: :laugh:

I think the recent verses we having been through point to a process through which our ordinary self centred conciousness is opened up and made ready for Abrahadabra. If you read any of the four synoptic gospels you can see Jesus representing the developing consciousness, pushing it's boundaries, being strengthened through temption to abandon the path, while being afflicted with moments of doubt and sorrow. Only after it has been through all of that is it ready to have it's bubble burst. If Mary had simply strangled Jesus at birth it kind of defeats the purpose.

Aeon418

Atu XVIII The Moon

III:74 There is a splendour in my name hidden and glorious, as the sun of midnight is ever the son.
The great sadness and tragedy of the Osirian myth is that the sun must suffer and die to be reborn. But we know this to be a defect of limited perception. The sun doesn't die, it's always there. Unfortunately our consciouness is afflicted with this same Osirian "defect". The only way to remedy the situation is for it to undergo the "apparent" catastrophe of the Osirian myth. Only then will the illusion be seen for what it really is.

The initiate starts out in the Midnight/Kephra stage, unable to see the light of L.V.X. - the Holy Guardian Angel. But just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there. No matter how hidden or obcured it is the sun of midnight is ever the son. Getting the mind to release it's death grip on perception is the key. But it may take a wake up call on Golgotha to do the trick.

But remember...
Whatever horrors may afflict the soul, whatever abominations may excite the loathing of the heart, whatever terrors may assail the mind, the answer is the same at every stage: "How splendid is the Adventure!"
Trivia time.

Verse 74 - LMD(Lamed) - connects to verse 12.

III x 74 = 222

Verse 219 in the book as a whole.

222 + 219 = 441 - AMTh - Blessed Beast.

Richard

Misprint

Aeon418 said:
.....the four synoptic gospels.....
There are only three synoptic gospels. John reflects a different tradition.