Which Thoth deck should I get?

Carla

I'm comfortable with RWS, but I've been wondering about Thoth. I think I may be ready to buy my first Thoth deck. Which do you recommend? I know there are many editions out there. Also, which book is the best companion book for a complete newbie to Thoth? Is it DuQuette?

ETA: Another question. How do you say Thoth?

1. Thoth like 'thought', only with an extra 'th' on the end?

2. Toth?

3. Tot?

4. Thoth like 'both'?

5. Or even I've read mentioned somewhere Tay-ho-tay, which I think I'd rather just give up and call it the Crowley deck than resort to. (It's like someone saying 'kah-rah-tay' for karate (which most americans pronounce 'ku-rah-dee')--even it's technically correct it just sounds ridiculous.)

6. None of the above? (Do share)

Personally in my head, I've always said it like version 1. But I've never heard anyone actually say it.

WolfyJames

I'd suggest the medium size, the purple box with the three Magis by AGM Muller and US Games. The cards are big enough to see the details but small enough to handle the deck and use it.

As for the book, Duquette's book is a must indeed, it's the first one you should read. After you could always try Thoth Companion: The Key to the True Symbolic Meaning of the Thoth Tarot by Snuffin and The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook to the Cards by Hajo Banzhaf.

Grigori

I'd agree with Wolfy's book suggestions, and agree either a medium sized deck or a large if you can handle the full size (I find the full size best, but I cut off the borders. If you are new to the deck, you probably want to keep them as they help learning).

I've heard it pronounced a variety of ways, most you have listed.

It seems an extra one has some authority also. The H's are mouthed so that it rhymes with BOAT. e.g. T(h)OAT(h) - TOTE

Which one is right, I suspect no one is left who knows the authoritative pronounciation for an ancient Egyptian deity :)

Le Fanu

Carla said:
Yes that's the one. I second WolfyJames and Grigori. I'm in good company I see... :)

By far my favourite. I love the big one, but for someone who is just starting, that's a comfy one to get used to, plus you get the extra Magus cards. And it is the one I use the most for reading and studying to be honest. I get out the big one but I always have to think twice ("can I be bothered?") and then usually get this smaller one out as it's usually nearer.

And goodness - I have always pronounced Thoth to rhyme with Goth and Moth and Froth. But with "Th" as in "the".

And - yes - DuQuette. And take it all slooooooooowly. No rush. Enjoy, savour...

teomat

DuQuette is great, but I'd definitely get Crowley's own Book of Thoth too and read the two books in tandem. When I first tried to read it, it came across as almost incomprehensible. But after reading DuQuette it's a lot more lucid.

Actually, thinking about it a bit more (and with hindsight), the BoT isn't as difficult as it seems. Maybe I just wasn't patient enough the first time.

Sulis

I say 'Thoth' to rhyme with 'both' and I'd recommend either the version with the 3 Magus cards or a large Thoth.. The one I have is an old Weiser version without the markings in the borders.
There is so much detail in Thoth that I really do think you need larger cards to study so maybe get 2 - a larger one for study and a 3 Magus one to use.

Having said that Thoth is the tarot system that I like the least. It just doesn't do it for me.

Carla

Sulis, we often have similar opinions of decks, so I value your input. To be honest, I'm not sure what my reaction to Thoth will be. I just have this feeling I ought to have one in my arsenal.

Carla

I just read the reviews for the DuQuette book. Bonnie C's in particular left me feeling a bit overwhelmed. I don't think I'm ready for Thoth yet. I don't know if I ever will be. It's all so...overwhelming. *wibble*

Sulis

Carla said:
Sulis, we often have similar opinions of decks, so I value your input. To be honest, I'm not sure what my reaction to Thoth will be. I just have this feeling I ought to have one in my arsenal.

Well I have one old Thoth because I like old decks and I think one day I may get a yearning to read with it. I did have a smaller, 3 Magus one too but I gave it to someone who would actually use it since I don't.