Which Thoth deck should I get?

Carla

I think I can wait for this one. Plus I ordered Morgan Robbins' Tarot instead. :)

gregory

Sulis said:
I say 'Thoth' to rhyme with 'both' and I'd recommend either the version with the 3 Magus cards or a large Thoth.. The one I have is an old Weiser version without the markings in the borders.
There is so much detail in Thoth that I really do think you need larger cards to study so maybe get 2 - a larger one for study and a 3 Magus one to use.

Having said that Thoth is the tarot system that I like the least. It just doesn't do it for me.
I say Thoth with a short o - as we have in cough, like.....

You want a LARGE one - the blue box Muller with three Magus cards is still around, I believe.... (Oh - it seems not :()

You also want a second copy to trim, so you can see the geometry. (I used a small one for that ! Easier on the hands...)

And you want Duquette and the Book of Thoth.

Richard

I pronounce it Thoth with a short o.

I have a pocket edition, but I've ordered the small three-Magus version, which should arrive tomorrow. The deck can be highly addictive.

The Wayfarer

Iirc, Thoth is pronounced as a three syllable word, somewhat like "Tehotee".

Can't remember where I read that, decades ago, but it was from a source I considered an authority... Maybe it is in Crowley's The Book of Thoth?

I've always taken this pronounciation to be the correct one, and assumed the weird spelling is an artifact of the early days of Egyptology, when the pronounciation of the 'hieroglyphs' had not been established properly.

To be honest, I always avoided this pronounciation, as I figured most people wouldn't have a clue what I'd be talking about. As the Dutch language has no 'th' sound, I've reluctantly pronounced it as 'Tot' a few times, and avoided pronouncing the name at all (refering to the deck as e.g. 'Crowley's cards')

Richard

The Wayfarer said:
Iirc, Thoth is pronounced as a three syllable word, somewhat like "Tehotee".....
That's probably correct. He was the Egyptian version of Hermes/Mercury.

The Wayfarer

LRichard said:
That's probably correct. He was the Egyptian version of Hermes/Mercury.
Yes. And through Mercury, he is also similar to the germanic Wodan/Odin (Woðanaz/Óðinn) - one of the gods that was actually done right in the interpretatio romana (Wednesday, "Woden's Day", being linked to Mercury).

This is probably of limited interest to this forum, and even off-topic in this thread, but the figure of Wodan fits the archetype of the Magus very well, imho.

alesia

I was under the impression 'Thoth' is the Greek name for the god, and 'Tehuti' is the Egyptian name. Since our friend Mr. Ibis is an Egyptian god, it makes sense to call him Tehuti, but since the deck uses the Greek name, you may want to use the Greek pronounciation (whatever that is; my Greek is terrible). Me, I pronounce it with soft 'th's and a short 'o' in the middle.

jackdaw*

I pronounce it to sound like I am talking about thpaghetti thoth.

Second (or fourth, or twelfth) the recommendation for the purple box USG. The one with the three Magi. And then a large deck, large Swiss. To trim. So you can see the details and play with the geometry and have it at a more manageable size.

If you prefer small decks, then get the Konigsfurt Urania version. It really is so nice, if you don't need English titles.

And if you trim, DON'T round the corners! It messes up the geometry!

gregory

What - Thorth ??? Thauce ?

And YES - keep the corners if you trim.

WHEN you trim :D.
You will have to trim a copy in the end.
Make that one a brand new one. Older ones, the images aren't all the same size.
JD knows this ;)

jackdaw*

Thauthe, yeth.