Good quality RWS deck?

Sulis

I was going to ask the same question! I almost ordered the original Rider Waite deck.... in the blue box... is this not a goody? It has the nice backs but whats the cardstock like? Anyone know?

It's OK but the lines are very thick and I think because of that some detail is lost and the blues in this deck have been given a green tinge.
The PCS deck and the blue box Rider are easily the best RWS decks you can get.

Richard

For ideological/aesthetic reasons I don't like the idea of a USG copyright on the face of the cards, but I don't find it especially intrusive. I guess I just mentally filter it out.

Winterchild

Hollys Site

Gregory..... that site is amazing.... but very dangerous.... I can totally see the joys of collecting now just for the love of the things, even if you dont use them!! Spent an hour or so there completely engrossed in all the backs of the Aquarians, the different versions of the RWS etc.... !

*Thank you*

gregory

What about the backs of the Morgan Greer ? That gets to be enormous fun. There's a thread here about the patterns of the stars.... if memory serves, I think there are 7 variants and coredil (?) charted which was on which card.... then we all checked ours to see if it was the same...

Winterchild

Seeing Stars!

What about the backs of the Morgan Greer ? That gets to be enormous fun. There's a thread here about the patterns of the stars.... if memory serves, I think there are 7 variants and coredil (?) charted which was on which card.... then we all checked ours to see if it was the same...

I almost bought a 1975 Morgan Greer today while buying the 1971 RWS (yellow box.... think I may have gotten th wrong one :(....

My MG is 1985 I think.......thought it would be fun as the boxes seem different. Anyway I didn't get it! Your comment made me laugh though!!

Winterchild

Yellow Box

The one with no copyrights on would have to be a used one. That is how US Games do it now, and that is the way life is :( Even the commemorative one they put out has them on. Their very first - the ACTUAL 1971 print, yellow box, but you have to be able to see the cards to be sure, has none...

What you are looking for (if you can find one - they come up on ebay a lot) is the blue box one someone here thought you meant. Published by Rider (hence the name that has stuck !)

Here's one to see how they look -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pre...627?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aba6ed53b

though I think the price is WAY too high.

A really good site for info is Holly's - here. Though oddly - the blue box one doesn't seem to be there. :confused:

Many don't find the copyright thing that intrusive - and of the easily available ones, I'd go with the Commemorative too.

Dos the yellow box 1971 have good cardstock? Thats what I need!

astronautica

I only have three Rider-Waite versions - the Universal Waite, the Original and a bootlegged copy that my room-mate found me at the markets, but of the three the Original is my favourite. The card stock is lovely and matte, and the US Games copyright symbol is teeny tiny and barely noticeable :) The colours are a little dark and muddy, but I like that because it makes it feel aged, and I agree with what Sulis says about the heavy lines. I think my only gripe with it is the card backs - the blue is so bright I don't think it's in-keeping with the tone of the images. I really need to get my hands on a copy of the PCS commemorative set :)

Winterchild

Backs

I only have three Rider-Waite versions - the Universal Waite, the Original and a bootlegged copy that my room-mate found me at the markets, but of the three the Original is my favourite. The card stock is lovely and matte, and the US Games copyright symbol is teeny tiny and barely noticeable :) The colours are a little dark and muddy, but I like that because it makes it feel aged, and I agree with what Sulis says about the heavy lines. I think my only gripe with it is the card backs - the blue is so bright I don't think it's in-keeping with the tone of the images. I really need to get my hands on a copy of the PCS commemorative set :)

Is that the original backs with the Tudor Rose and Fleur de Lis type design? I wonder if they were originally bright.... maybe that colour ink was unusually bright back in the day...

Rhinemaiden

I have 4 RWS decks...

1971 printing with plaid backs, printed in Switzerland
1993 "original" with roses/lilies backs, printed in Italy
2004 Universal Waite (pocket) with star backs, printed in China
2009 Centennial with PCS back, printed in China

My favorite for coloring is the Universal, followed by 1971, 2009... and dead last the 1993 "measles" original. Between the 1971 and 2009 there are subtle differences... for example, the Empress card. 1971 the pillow behind her is faintly striped, 2009 the pillow is solid. 1971 face is smooth, 2009 face is pixelated. I prefer the brighter colors of the 1971 in contrast to the muddy (aged?) look of the 2009.

Card stock... the 1971 and 2009 feel almost the same, smooth lightly laminated, although printed in different countries. The 1993 Italian printing is on a heavily laminated stock that feels like plastic.

I enjoy having several printings of this deck for comparision purposes. That being said, 4 is more than enough. ;)

Oddity

Just want to say, for those who really, really hate the copyright notice in the front:
if the deck has no lamination or only a thin matte finish, it's possible to gently scrape off small parts of the print with a very sharp knife (ideally a scalpel). There will be marks on the cards however careful you are, but they will be less obvious than the text was.
This won't work with cards that have that shiny plastic finish, sorry.