Justice's Eyes.

MagsStardustBlack

I pulled Justice today as my'daily card' and noticed that the eyes are squint? Is this a printing error or perhaps intentional. The left eye seems to look directly at you where as the right eye looks above and past you slightlt to the right? Any thoughts? I checked the RWS index under 'eyes' but it hadn't been picked up on in that section.

Mags.

Richard

I've noticed the same thing about the eyes.

MagsStardustBlack

Strange...

tried to google possible symbolism but all i could find was that Michelangelo's statue of David had deviating eyes also, which hardly makes sense as a mistake considering the man was a master at his craft and especially human anatomy.... could there be something we are missing?

Richard

Maybe Justice's walleyes are symbolic of needing to see both sides of an issue in order to make a fair evaluation, analogous to the eyes of a fish, usually situated of either side of the head, in order to get a panoramic view of its environment. I don't really believe this, though. I think the Justice eyes just look a little goofy, as if the artist was a bit innacurate in its depiction. I doubt, however, that the eyes of the David statue were a mistake, although it is a remote possibility.

Minnie

I have the radiant rider waite deck and the eyes are very clearly open. I can almost make them out to be a greeny blue colour.

Richard

I have the radiant rider waite deck and the eyes are very clearly open. I can almost make them out to be a greeny blue colour.
I think what was meant is that the eyes are the opposite of crosseyed.

MagsStardustBlack

That is what a 'squint' meens that one eye does not track with the other eye so that one eye may be looking forward and one eye squints or deviates to the side. It is a common eye problem. And yes in my card, Justice, the eyes deviate, peculiar, with no reason it seem, or none apparent yet :.)))

Minnie

I think what was meant is that the eyes are the opposite of crosseyed.

LRichard I am so confused i thought it meant they were not open properly , i have the original rider waite and they do look like they are squinting in that deck .

Zephyros

This is from Cracked, so don't take it as gospel, but

http://www.cracked.com/article_18386_7-mind-blowing-easter-eggs-hidden-in-famous-works-art.html

according to this (Cracked is actually good at fact-finding) David was meant to be looked at from a gallery, hence the, ahem, minute proportions. A sort of optical illusion is going on there. His eyes are furrowed with fear and desperation, since he is going up against a giant, hence the "wandering" eyes.

This seems like one of Pixie`s "stage" cards, in which you can see a step going down. The eyes may not squint, but we may be looking at them from below, and Justice`s eyes are unfocused, as though looking to the audience. Justice is not blind, but she is inaccessible, untouchable.

Richard

LRichard I am so confused i thought it meant they were not open properly , i have the original rider waite and they do look like they are squinting in that deck .
Yes, I've also always used squint to mean that the eyes are sort of half shut, something you do when the sun is too bright, but I'm starting to think now that it may have other meanings too. Learn something new every day.