The Book of The Law Study Group 3.72

Zephyros

At first glance I can make nothing of the first part of the verse, I'll check sources later, but the second part is of course Horus's pose in the Aeon card. His hand is empty, as the old universe has been destroyed and another has not been created yet.

Aeon418

The phrase "Double Wand of Power" seems to be a rearranged version of the usual Wand of Double Power. It refers to a specific Wand with dual polarities - active and passive.
Suffin has done a bit of research on this. http://hermetic.com/osiris/wandofdoublepower.htm
I'm not sure if I buy all of his conclusions, but the numerical coincidences are interesting.

Verse 72. ChSD (Chesed) = 72
III x 72 = 216. GBVRH (Geburah) = 216

The phrase "Force of Coph Nia" is rather odd. Crowley says he heard this phrase indistinctly, and Rose filled it in later on. Coph Nia appears to be a jumbled up version of the familiar Ain Soph. http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0031.html?num=64
One theory says that it is written in Greek, but an old style Sigma-final is used at the beginning. As weird as it sounds it seems to make sense given the way other things are mixed up in this verse.

C - Sigma - 200
O - Omicron - 70
Ph - Phi - 500

N - Nu - 50
I - Iota - 10
A - Alpha -1

Total = 831. The same value as the Greek, PHALLOS.

Is Heru-Ra-Ha making the characteristic god form of the Egyptian god, Min? A form very similar to the first of the NOX signs which suggests the Magus who draws down force from above and projects it below.http://www.thelemapedia.org/images/1/10/Sign_puer.gif
But the verse implies that the phallus/wand is being held in the right hand, which is opposite to the sign. Hmmm...

It's curious that the verse written as a number, 372, should be the same value as OQRB - Scorpion; Scorpio. The first NOX sign (Puer) is N, Nun.
Aleister Crowley said:
I am but an hollow tube to bring down fire from heaven

"I have crushed an Universe; & nought remains." This seems to link this verse to the 0=2 formula. That might also explain the jumbled nature of this verse. Almost as if it were a figure 8. Is the dualistic force of the wand derived from the limitless 0?
Does the verse number, 72, suggest a circle via the quinances?

The verse contains 32 words (excluding the amp). 32 is the total number of Paths on the Tree of Life. The Sephiroth being counted as the first 10. The Universe that is crushed?

Always Wondering

Again, some very elegant gematria. These final verses feel so loaded. Very climatic. I get to feeling caught up in it, if that makes sense. Not at all a logical thing. So I can relate to the wierdness.

AW

Aeon418

The wands seem to relate to both lands ... and perhaps, by extension, both 'worlds'?

It works for me. :)

But I wonder what, if any, significance there is to it being held in the right hand? The stele has R.H.K. holding the Phoenix wand in his left hand.

Although Ankh-af-na-Khonsu is extending his empty right hand in suplication.

Aeon418

These final verses feel so loaded. Very climatic. I get to feeling caught up in it, if that makes sense. Not at all a logical thing. So I can relate to the wierdness.

That's probably a sign that it's working on you then. :) Crowley himself said the Book of the Law was not an appeal to the rational mind, but an appeal to the soul. You have to feel what it is trying to say to you, rather than search for intellectual meanings.

It's a bit like the last 10 minutes of 2001: A Space Odyssey where Dave Bowman goes into that dimensonal warp thing and turns into the Star Child. (I always get a bit choked up when that little fella looks directly into the camera. :laugh:) I watched it again with friends last weekend. Half of us thought it was great and enjoyed the experience. :) The other half complained about the lack of explanation and the bizarre ending. *sigh* :rolleyes:

Always Wondering

Gosh, I haven't seen that since way before 2001. But the space warp seems just about right.

Hmmm I might have to watch it.

AW

Zephyros

I get the 2001 reference, although I really hate that movie, all the more so because one isn't "allowed" to. If you do, you are told by Kubric fans that you "don't understand it." The only reason I would choke up watching 2001 is if it all too keenly reminded me of the monotony of existence (which it does!). All I could think of while staring at that thing is "My God, what the hell am I doing with my life?" And I've tried liking it, several times, trying to convince myself I didn't understand it... I do... I really do...

ravenest

Good for you! I refuse to read or watch The Hobbit and people look at me like I never learnt ABC.

Also I never went to see Avatar ... you know how many people told me I HAVE to go to see it ... or SHOULD go ... or how can you not go ....

They told me not to study or comment on the Book of the Law either ... and look where that got us :laugh: