colours of the scales

yogiman

The Queen scale makes perfectly sense to me. The supernal triangle consists of the noncolours white and black, and their mixture is assigned to Chokmah. The ethical triangle consists of the primary colours: blue for the father of the heaven, and red and gold for how mars and the sun are actually perceived. Netzach is blue+yellow=green, the colour belonging to the vegetable kingdom, Hod is red+yellow=orange. The moon is indigo or purple, the colour of the night sky. The result is that all opposite sephirah have also opposite colours, called flashing colours.

I suppose the same recipe is applicable to the other scales. Is this true?

Grigori

Essentially the same in principle with the colours from each sphere reflected and mixed through the pathways to the spheres they connect with, though not entirely so as you've described.

e.g. in the King Scale the supernals are white, blue and red, which mixes into pink, violet and orange; rather than the black and whites in the Queen Scale.

I find this a really useful resource which together with the Cicero deck helps me a lot in studying the colour scales. http://www.lelandra.com/tarotbook/TreeofLifeColors.htm

yogiman

Thanks for posting, it is a very clear scheme, but with a poor colour quality. For example, I don't see the difference between amber and orange.

There appear to be no flashing colours in the other scales. For example, in the queen scale the flashing colour of blue is orange. The neighbour at the king scale of blue is deep violet, and the neighbour of orange is violet purple. Clearly, deep violet and violet purple are no flashing colour.

This makes me wonder what makes the queen scale so very special .

Aeon418

This makes me wonder what makes the queen scale so very special .

The Queen scale represents the level of Briah. In one sense it's the qabalistic level of Unity in contradiction. Contradictory opposites forming the Whole.

ravenest

The Queen scale represents the level of Briah. In one sense it's the qabalistic level of Unity in contradiction. Contradictory opposites forming the Whole.

And to have a contradictory opposite ... it has to be a colour that can have an opposite, yes?

For example the opposite of a primary colour ( there being three primaries) can not have a direct opposite as there is no opposite side or point in a triangular relationship - so the 'opposite' is a blend of the other two.

With a secondary colour ... the opposite is the singular opposite primary

With a tertiary colour .... its starting to get a bit messy.

Can tertiary colours have opposites ?

Richard

......Can tertiary colours have opposites ?
The opposite (or complement) of a tertiary is another tertiary. Opposites are diametrically opposite on the color wheel. For example, the opposite of red-orange (RO) is blue-green (BG). Unfortunately, the RYB (red, yellow, blue) color model, which was used by the GD, has no scientific basis, the correct primaries being CMY (cyan, magenta, yellow).

Attachments

• rby_wheel.jpg
    rby_wheel.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 107

yogiman

Cyan and magenta are pale in comparison to blue and red, and don't speak in the same way to our eyes. As often happens, there is a difference between theory and actuality.

Thanks, lRichard, for your frank reply. The question now is why the colours in the other scales have not been made flashing.

Richard

Cyan and magenta are pale in comparison to blue and red, and don't speak in the same way to our eyes. As often happens, there is a difference between theory and actuality.......
That's correct.

In the CMY model, blue and red become secondaries: blue = cyan + magenta, red = magenta + yellow. While the CMY and K (black) are now the standard colors for inks used in printing, it is very difficult to find pigments for cyan and magenta which are suitable for paints such as watercolor, oil, and acrylic.