Ace of Disks

Aeon418

No, they are wings. See The Book of Thoth:
About this whirling disk are it's six Wings; the entire symbol is not only a glyph of Earth as understood in this New Aeon of Horus, but of the number 6, the number of the Sun.

The Book of Thoth p.211

alphonsine

to Luna regarding "clusters"

my message was in response to Luna and her posts
regarding clusters...

they sure look like pinecones
how earthy!

alPhoNsiNe

Julien

I just wanted to add to this thread... And see if anyone wanted to revisit the Ace of Disks...

When I first got the deck, this card drew me to it immediately. It is, almost always, my favorite card in any Tarot deck... But this one especially seems so very... Alive. As I read through the thread, the discussion of the symbolism was helpful, and certainly the Book of Thoth has some interesting commentary. But mostly, when I look at this card, I am struck by how much lively energy I feel -- not the hot kind I see in the Wands -- but the kind you feel all around you in the spring when you go on a hike. The swirling feathers, the vivid green color... Yes, very... ALIVE.

I am struck, too, that when you follow the disks through, the living energy of the Ace is sometimes frustrated by the other cards -- I have a sense of it being hampered here and there, in various ways... Frustrated with the 5 of Disks... Grown and needing to change with the 10. Being channeled and shaped by other factors. But always this card's energy is there. It's the only suit where I sense the Ace's energy so strongly throughout. Of course, disks/pentacles are usually the suit I am most drawn to, so this most likely comes into play with my reaction to it. Yet, it's also very interesting to me that this card seems to epitomize the energy of the Ace of Disks.

Julien

mooiedragon

Julien

Sure, let's revisit the Ace of Disks. I think you have a better handle on it than I do, however, so I'm not sure how much I'll actually be able to add. The disks have always been harder for me to understand - a lot of books refer to them as the wealth or career cards, but for me my career is usually related to wands. Disks for me represent home, health and body. When this card is described as the "Root of the Powers of Earth" I understand it the most, but still have trouble working out what it signifies in a spread.

Also, adding to previous discussions relating to the wings... the vertical ones on the top and bottom have beatuful peacock-like feathers, whereas the horizontal ones seem to be mad of other stuff (silk? or a web even) and not very feathery at all. What's that all about?

Julien

That's quite an interesting point mooiedragon -- the difference in the wings...

The upper ones remind me of birds, the others remind me of dragonflies... In fact, they even have the same texture of a dragonfly's... But also, if wings are moving very fast, they can seem almost transparent. Yet these seem stationary -- but still alive to me.

I've never liked the very distinct "instructions" in books that makes disks about career -- wealth, perhaps, because wealth comes from the earth in many ways. And wealth doesn't have to simply be about money... Wealth in mind, body and spirit matters too (this coming from a woman who just purchased yet another plant for her living room after walking 5 miles this afternoon) and at least in my experience, if you do not have wealth in mind, body and spirit, nothing else matters...

This Ace has been intriguing me, as I said, since I got the deck. In the last couple of days, it's been showing up in two different spreads I did concerning different aspects of the same friendship. In both cases it came up as an outcome. An Ace as an outcome in a relationship that is a few years old now has puzzled me. But at the same time, whatever it signifies, the energy from the card is so positive, I'm not at all worried it's bad news. I just haven't quite understood it yet. ;) I guess I might know it when I see it.

Julien

Aeon418

There's one line in the LWB that sums up the nature of this card and why I have always liked it more than any of the other minors. In fact this one line is in very much the angle that Crowley is coming from with his religion/philosophy of Thelema but few people seem to "get it".
For Crowley this card was an affirmation of the identity of the sun and the earth, spirit and flesh.

AbstractConcept

Even on a superficial level, flesh with no spirit is pretty useless. Re-reading that quote made me think of all those Spring time cliche's. Bustling hedgerows and life just bursting forth from a seed.

Aeon418

Spirit and Flesh - two sides of the same Coin. Ace of Disks. ;)

Julien

Aeon418 said:
Spirit and Flesh - two sides of the same Coin. Ace of Disks. ;)

Indeed, indeed... It's interesting to note how work -- whether it's out in the garden, or in the office -- is often a way of exercising the two together. That is, when the work is very fulfilling, and enables the building of home and keeping of the hearth. Which, I suppose, is one reason that Disks have, in readings, been so often related to career matters in a general way (rather than specific careers), to go back to mooiedragon's comment.

An integrated life, no? That seems to be one of the lessons of this card, and perhaps the suit.

Julien

ravenest

Julien said:
Indeed, indeed... It's interesting to note how work -- whether it's out in the garden, or in the office -- is often a way of exercising the two together. That is, when the work is very fulfilling, and enables the building of home and keeping of the hearth. ... An integrated life, no? That seems to be one of the lessons of this card, and perhaps the suit.

Julien

I think that is the classic simpler explaination of AC's 'True Will' idea. When work is fulfilling and enjoyible it gives great benefeit. Moreso than any 'spiritual' ministering in general circumstances. (see The Song of Solomon' for the Christian expression of this idea).

Our spititual mission is fullfilled in our life's work and hence earth and heaven, body and spirit are all the same. Gardening is 'holy', body is 'holy', office work is .... (okay I'm sure it is in the right circumstances for the right people but I just can't bring myself to write it :laugh: ).

Since this appears to be amongst some of the main precepts of AC and the Ace of Discs (or clubs or spades) often holds the makers imprint or copyrite, it makes perfect sense that this card represents those ideals - spirit and flesh, two sides of the one coin.

And the currency is learned and remembered experience ... you can take it with you!