The unwashed general public & the book of Thoth

ravenest

Thank you Ravenest :) that is really appreciated :):)

Though Princess Vader does have a certain ring to it :laugh:

Ha! be sure to remember that if you ever do join a 'secret society'.

Stern voice form the dark side of the circle : "And under what name do you approach initiation ? "

"Princess Vader. " :laugh:

ravenest

Yes, AC was into mountain climbing. Including an adventure in the Himalayas that most of the members of his group didn't survive. (He also did plenty of other risky things, to be sure.)

He also did some radical long distance trekking in the desert and broke the record for camping on a glacier. One story from his college days , he got home to his room and one of the lads stopped him in the corridor, and according to lad ; " I say Crowley, you ARE a right blighter, and people are sick of you, so three of the boys are waiting to ambush you in your room. But 3 on 1 just isnt fair, so I am giving you a warning. "

Then according to this source ( sorry, cant remember) Crowley said "Is that so ? " and took a snuff box from his pocket, sniffed up a large amount of 'white powder', took a firm hold of his walking stick and burst through the door and into the room like a mad dervish. The lads were evicted one at at a time . ...... ( reminds me of when I lived in the Nurse's home ;) )

OTO senate degree requires candidates (as well as being 5th degree ) have knowledge and accomplishment in some branch of learning and physical skills ( such as athletics ) ... martial arts is acceptable :) .

Also, I think it is AA curriculum that one , as a preliminary, ascertains ones physical limit from doing an exercise as long as one can.

In some systems ( like some Taoist systems) there is a big focus on physical power and fitness and martial arts .... they think they are going to get super powers from it. Some even think they can defeat you with this power, with some 'magical ' technique', from a touch ... or not even touching you ! ..... I fought on of those guys once (in a 'friendly' ) .... he must have been having an 'off day' .... ;)

ravenest

Real danger? Yes. But I am aware of one modern initiation rite where, at one point, the candidate is meant to experience real physical fear. And the method used to induce that reaction would probably raise a few eyebrows too.

Fear. What state are we in when we are in fear ?

I remember a visit here from a senior Lama. I was already used to Lamas and knew what to possibly suspect (many- well, 'new age. / 'spiritual' people have strange ideas about them - I have had a meat BBQ with them and then one took me to the shop in their new car, burnouts and do-nuts on the road to start the journey, yes, in full monks robes :laugh: )

Anyway, Lama goes; "What is this meeting space for ? " and a woman answers " It is for meditating ."

"Oh ... people here do meditating ? I do meditating, lets 'meditate' together ." (yes, I noticed an inflection there ).

So every one sits in some version of lotus, goes all peaceful and serene ... what a load of BS ! I hate this stuff * ! So I dont do it. But Lama opens his eyes and sees me being 'unmeditative'. He mimes to me with his face ; close eyes ! So I do. ... but still ....

Then I heard his breathing change so I opened my eyes and saw he was drawing in a giant big breath .... so I was ready for it ... and he , at the top of his lungs ..

" PEH ! "

Half the room jumped out of their skin !

Lama , " Yes, thats it ! Now you have it ... no no ... dont loose it ! Ohh, you are loosing it ... hold it., hold it, ohhh ... you lost it. "

" For a moment there some of you came close to awareness ".

- and eventually, with increased awareness, fear can be overcome by awareness (if it is a problem for you ... or, more correctly ; the super aware state fear can put one in can be invoked without the fear itself )

" I learned that you can actually decide what to think about. I had a choice! Eureka! I decide what meaning to give to any thought that surfaces, at any given time. Wow! "

http://movingbeyondfear.com/mind-tornadoes-using-awareness-to-overcome-fear/

... and " To obtain Magical Power, learn to control thought; admit only those ideas that are in harmony with the end desired, and not every stray and contradictory Idea that presents itself.

"Fixed thought is a means to an end. Therefore pay attention to the power of silent thought and meditation. The material act is but the outward expression of thy thought, and therefore hath it been said that “the thought of foolishness is sin.” Thought is the commencement of action, and if a chance thought can produce much effect, what cannot fixed thought do?"

http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/lib30.html

ravenest

Real danger? Yes. But I am aware of one modern initiation rite where, at one point, the candidate is meant to experience real physical fear. And the method used to induce that reaction would probably raise a few eyebrows too.

A friend, some time back joined the Freemasons. he was the youngest one amidst an elderly and dying out group. So he was popular (maybe there will be revival ? ) . he said, during his 'raising' there is a point ( that probably is supposed to be fearful, or at least challenging ) when he was lying on the floor and suddenly revealed are all the Masons standing around pointing their swords at him. He told me " I was looking at those thin mock swords and all these geriatric guys, some with the shakes so their swords were all over the place ... I was soooo tempted to jump up and throw my arms in the air and go " YAHHHHHRR ! " at them ... and see who keeled over ."

:laugh:

By the way ... anyone who ends up 'initiating ' Tanga .... careful with the 'manhandling ' ;)

Also with Mr Sternbach " Officers ! Remove this unwashed one from my presence " ... they grab him ... candidate does 'shihonage' :)

ravenest

Oh ... I just remembered something about 'testing' . To run a group or be an initiator (well, a good one ) , they get tested themselves. Officially in some ways, but certainly in training.

In a ceremony like this, people fumbling with scripts is really bad form and takes away the 'impact'. Also the script memory has to be able to be continued from any point onwards ( as disruptions can break the flow ) , how to deal with unforeseen occurances , various types of people ...

At one stage I was helping to train a new woman initiator and officer (in the OTO there is no division of sexes, both men and women can take any part ... our group was a little different as we had a high proportion of women in it) . We were practicing the ritual and I was the 'candidate' When they asked me why I wanted to join their group ( knowing full well, what CAN happen at this point .. and the answer, not being scripted, the initiator has to be on their toes for a good response ) I said . "Well, from what I can see, there are some hot women in this group . with that and all the ... you know ... 'sex magick' ... I was thinking I might have something to offer here."

Boy did that go down well ! :laugh:

Great answer too ! .... Boy was I put in my place ! and with grace , sarcasm and wit :thumbsup:

earthair

Exactly. ;)
And ahh - isn't the extreme sportsperson... possibly just a little addicted to the thrill?...
(sorry extreme sports people).
Lol.

Yes and no, there is thrill when it's going right and you're in control, there is primitive blind fight to breathe again/hold on/land without being paralysed ... then hopefully thrill/relief of survival afterwards.
But what I do see often is a sort of insanity (switched off-ness?) behind the eyes of some people, when they have lost all concept of safety/fear/risk of death.

Tanga

Yes and no, there is thrill when it's going right and you're in control, there is primitive blind fight to breathe again/hold on/land without being paralysed ... then hopefully thrill/relief of survival afterwards.
But what I do see often is a sort of insanity (switched off-ness?) behind the eyes of some people, when they have lost all concept of safety/fear/risk of death.

Toxoplasmosis infection? Apparently is "switches off" risk awareness.

(sorry just couldn't resist!).

Tanga

Fear. What state are we in when we are in fear ?...

Weirdly, what jumps to mind is Brandon Bay's technique for breaking down... well - a "breakdown" or upset/fear. The only bit I remember now (because someone told me about it - I've never read Brandon) was the last question after one has gone through examining one's reactions to a situation... "is it TRUE?" (that all that horror that I fear, will happen. Projecting the worst into the future - and trashing my present with it.).
:)

And:
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killler.
Fear, is the "little death" that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will let it pass over me and through me.
And where it has gone past, there will be nothing - only I will remain."

- Bene Gesserit litany of fear. from 'Dune', by Frank Herbert.

I remember a visit here from a senior Lama...
So every one sits in some version of lotus, goes all peaceful and serene ...
Then I heard his breathing change so I opened my eyes and saw he was drawing in a giant big breath .... so I was ready for it ... and he , at the top of his lungs ..

" PEH ! "

Half the room jumped out of their skin !

Lama , " Yes, thats it ! Now you have it ... no no ... dont loose it ! Ohh, you are loosing it ... hold it., hold it, ohhh ... you lost it. "

" For a moment there some of you came close to awareness ".

Perfect!
:joke:

- and eventually, with increased awareness, fear can be overcome by awareness (if it is a problem for you ... or, more correctly ; the super aware state fear can put one in can be invoked without the fear itself )

...2 flashbacks here reading this. 1) an Israeli friend saying - as yes - you live with the bombing and violence, and grow a sort of immunity to it. E.g. - only 5 dead this month? - well hmm... that's not so bad...
Oh - bomb sirens - right... automatically down into the ground shelter (where the kids are delighted to go because there's candy down there. So - they're hoping for the next siren.).

2) me walking down to the bottom of the garden (11 acres with woods) in the middle of the night on full moons (not exactly safe - Lol. at that time of night. Maybe I have hidden toxoplasmosis :joke:. Still - I had a doberman... but then I would worry about what might happen to him - Lol.). That "prickling awareness" almost tangibly on-my-skin - 360 degrees - and stretching that awareness as far as possible... can I "sense" everything from all sides at once? The glimmer of the 'peak experience' (Advaita - all is one, and one is all) creeping at the edge of consciousness...

By the way ... anyone who ends up 'initiating ' Tanga .... careful with the 'manhandling ' ;)

ALAS - the day is past.
No one will be suffering off the end of my sss reptilian Bagua. ;) (Shame ;) ).

Oh ... I just remembered something...
We were practicing the ritual and I was the 'candidate' When they asked me why I wanted to join their group ( knowing full well, what CAN happen at this point .. and the answer, not being scripted, the initiator has to be on their toes for a good response ) I said . "Well, from what I can see, there are some hot women in this group . with that and all the ... you know ... 'sex magick' ... I was thinking I might have something to offer here."

Boy did that go down well ! :laugh:

Great answer too ! .... Boy was I put in my place! and with grace , sarcasm and wit :thumbsup:

*eyes twinkling* - you're just such a cheeky *** ravenest.
:) :)

ravenest

.... "I must not fear. Fear is the mind killler.
Fear, is the "little death" that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will let it pass over me and through me.
And where it has gone past, there will be nothing - only I will remain."

- Bene Gesserit litany of fear. from 'Dune', by Frank Herbert.

... and the old- Fear is failure and the forerunner of failure.

...2 flashbacks here reading this. 1) an Israeli friend saying - as yes - you live with the bombing and violence, and grow a sort of immunity to it. E.g. - only 5 dead this month? - well hmm... that's not so bad...
Oh - bomb sirens - right... automatically down into the ground shelter (where the kids are delighted to go because there's candy down there. So - they're hoping for the next siren.).

2) me walking down to the bottom of the garden (11 acres with woods) in the middle of the night on full moons (not exactly safe - Lol. at that time of night. Maybe I have hidden toxoplasmosis :joke:. Still - I had a doberman... but then I would worry about what might happen to him - Lol.).

11 acre garden with woods - lucky ducky !

I have seen fully grown men (from the city ) be nervous here 'in the dark' - no streetlights and such ... dark ... undergrowth ... 'strange noise' .... it just a wallaby, for God's sake !

That "prickling awareness" almost tangibly on-my-skin - 360 degrees - and stretching that awareness as far as possible... can I "sense" everything from all sides at once?

Yes. Of course you can, I think you probably know 'how' to do that ? I used to rather good at that, one doesnt stay alive as a motorcyclist for over 3o years without it. Also in Jiyuwaza ( , well, when it is done 'properly' ) - defending against multiple attacks from different angles , 3 - 5 on 1 ... advanced; the other 3 have weapons and 'piggy in the middle' , defender, is 'empty' hand . Motorcycling is more dangerous !

*eyes twinkling* - you're just such a cheeky *** ravenest.
:) :)

Eyes and *** 'twinkle' back .

:)

ravenest

A Samurai (or similar) has lost that concept .... but he need not be 'insane ' about it ...

Like the guy from 'Sword of Doom ' ....

( I will have to PM you the link )

(actually, when it is balanced * such a concept of 'accepting imminent death' is a totally mind blowing awakening ecstatic state . )

* balanced by many things including 'right mind' and practices such as ikibana , poetry, calligraphy, etc A 'true man' , as well as having no fear of death, be master of the sword, but should also be able to write a beautiful poem , and write it out beautifully, make a nice arrangement of flowers ... and a good cup of tea ;)