Minors cards?

Zephyros

I find that Kabbalistic interpretation goes more to the root of what makes the card what it is, with the astrological placement acting as modifier depending on the placement on the Tree of Life and corresponding World. The symbols and drawings on the card itself act to flesh out the character of the card, some with very conflicting attributes (Crowley's 27 pages on the Fool illustrate this).

Learning basic Kabbalah and then applying that to the Minors really put them in perspective for me, so Chicken Qabala by DuQuette might be useful to you. Not Tarot-specific, but easily adaptable once one gets a certain foothold. I think taking a card apart and then rebuilding it using the rules it was created with serves to make it "come alive" far more than any ready-written meanings, in whatever format. Learn the basic spine and GD structure, and you have an invaluable tool that could be used to analyze and delve deep into practically any deck.

Barleywine

I find that Kabbalistic interpretation goes more to the root of what makes the card what it is, with the astrological placement acting as modifier depending on the placement on the Tree of Life and corresponding World.

Very true. I latched on to the sephirotic (and numerological) correspondences well before I got a good grip on the astrological ones.

Richard

Very true. I latched on to the sephirotic (and numerological) correspondences well before I got a good grip on the astrological ones.
However, my experience has been that for most readers, the basis on which a Tarot deck is constructed is totally immaterial, and to suggest a Qabalistic connection is to invite a defensive reaction, sometimes to the point of derision, even if one considers the Tree of Life only in Assiyah, to the exclusion of the other Worlds. Numerology is accepted more readily than astrological correspondences, but Qabalah is way out in left field as far as most people are concerned. I'm gun shy even to bring it up in this section of the AT forums, although I have found it to be essential for my own understanding of Tarot. Tarot (yes, including the historical decks) is, somewhat mysteriously and surprisingly, a model of the Sephirotic Tree, whether or not one accepts that fact. The relevance of this to the original post is that an acquaintance with some parts of Qabalah can assist in the interpretation of not only the Minors but the entire deck, of which the Minors are an essential part.

Barleywine

However, my experience has been that for most readers, the basis on which a Tarot deck is constructed is totally immaterial, and to suggest a Qabalistic connection is to invite a defensive reaction, sometimes to the point of derision, even if one considers the Tree of Life only in Assiyah, to the exclusion of the other Worlds. Numerology is accepted more readily than astrological correspondences, but Qabalah is way out in left field as far as most people are concerned. I'm gun shy even to bring it up in this section of the AT forums, although I have found it to be essential for my own understanding of Tarot. Tarot (yes, including the historical decks) is, somewhat mysteriously and surprisingly, a model of the Sephirotic Tree, whether or not one accepts that fact. The relevance of this to the original post is that an acquaintance with some parts of Qabalah can assist in the interpretation of not only the Minors but the entire deck, of which the Minors are an essential part.

Certainly the average tarot reader (if there is such a thing) doesn't know Qabalah from Adam (Kadmon or otherwise ;)). But the Tree of Life has been rendered - at least in a Western Hermetic sense - fairly intelligible and approachable by a number of writers: Dion Fortune, Paul Foster Case, William Gray, Gareth Knight, Robert Wang, Israel Regardie. Even the most casual exploration of these sources reveals a remarkably -and, as you say, mysteriously and surprisingly - coherent set of correspondences between the sephiroth, the paths and and the Minor and Major Arcana, respectively (even though some Hebrew mystics have vehemently disavowed any such intention). On the other hand, I wouldn't urge the Zohar on anyone who isn't an Hebraic scholar. As an English-speaking layman (although with Middle Eastern roots that call to me), I've only dabbled in that via Mathers' The Kabbalah Unveiled, and didn't get very far. Wynn Westcott's translation of the Sepher Yetzirah comes down somewhere in the middle. Perhaps you or Closrapexa can recommend other sources that are closer to the Hebrew root of the knowledge while still being written for an inquiring neophyte. To anyone who is interested in puzzling out the qabalistic associations and ramifications, this study will repay the investment in time and intellectual effort many times over.

Zephyros

True, but for those same reasons I actually do recommend it. The original poster defined themselves as intermediate, which I took to mean familiarity with the basic structure and meanings of the cards, basic knowledge of the elements (swords=air=mind, etc.), and perhaps a little symbolism.

These are Kabbalistic concepts, and as most people start with an RWS style deck in any case, once they get over their mistrust of the concept, I suspect they will discover they actually know a lot of Kabbalah even without trying. For example, the knowledge of the deterioration of the elements (aces are generally good, tens are generally bad) is generally known even if you've never even heard of Kabbalah. Knowing a bit of Tarot as a pictorial form of the Kabbalistic Tree of Life turns the abstract into something much more readily understood, as when a concept is mentioned one is like "Oh, of course, this world of Yetzirah corresponds to Swords, how simple it all is!" One need not become an expert on the subject to adapt it to Tarot, but in this case very little goes a very, very long way.

iAmRiotEyes, having said this, and not to hijack your thread, I recommend two books, both by the same author, Lon Milo DuQuette:

Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot

and

Chicken Qabala (I may be wrong on the spelling on this one).

Both will give you a challenge and something to dig your teeth into.

ETA: An amusing aside, I may not actually know anything about what I'm talking about; leafing through old Thoth threads I found my own:

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=22265

funny how people can change their outlook :)

Richard

......Chicken Qabala (I may be wrong on the spelling on this one)......
Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford spells it Qabalah in recognition of the final ה in קבלה.