Bicycle/Ellusionist & other dark playing card decks

Le Fanu

Yes, it's the Karnival Dead Eyes. Love that deck; I shall have to track one down. I really need to draw up a list as I keep forgetting which is which before I order!

Laura Borealis

I got curious, so I looked up the thing with the barcode. It's for a magic trick called the "barcode reveal". I found a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkALpVDf1r0

It seems gimmicky but hey, I don't know ANY card tricks so I can't really talk. :D

Le Fanu

ZKEI said:
This may be the one you are looking for, as I did mention above; Karnival Dead Eye
http://www.bicycle-cards.co.uk/category/cards/page/2/
Thank you so much for this link ZKEI. As a supplier in Europe, with prices cheaper than amazon, it was a good recommendation. I have ordered the Karnival Dead Eyes deck. Love that deck. So macabre. I've added the site to favourites. They're fabulous decks. Can't wait to receive my blood spattered one!

I shal have no choice but to order a bunch and see which ones grab me the most...

Le Fanu

laura_borealis said:
I got curious, so I looked up the thing with the barcode. It's for a magic trick called the "barcode reveal". I found a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkALpVDf1r0

It seems gimmicky but hey, I don't know ANY card tricks so I can't really talk. :D
this was a great tip; after watching that, I found loads of videos reviewing the decks and so I could get a better sense of them...

strings of life

I LOVE the look of the Karnival Dead Eyes :eek:. Since it's only $6.99 in the US on Amazon, I ordered it.

strings of life

Evie said:
I love the dark ones, the Shadow Masters being a favourite.
I love the look of this one as well!

Essjay

This is so weird, I was looking at the Bicycle site a couple of weeks ago wishing I had a true understanding of cartomancy!

Does anyone have a link to the Anne Stokes deck?

Eta: Not to worry about the Anne Stokes - have checked it out and it includes demonic clowns so it's out for me! I think I'll stick with the good ole' fashionedc Arcane - you know where you are with demons.

Le Fanu

The fabulous thing about these decks is that they're so cheap! And some are limited editions (like Karnaval Dead Eyes). Oh but it's beautiful (I'm sure I shall buy more); the punk lettering, blocked out eyes, blood spatters, anatomical joker and overall grubbiness.

What's also good is that in the online shops it seems that it is quite common to buy various copies; if you buy 12 decks at the UK supplier you get a discount of 10%, 6 decks get 5%. Obviously they're used to people buying various copies, so you don't need to worry about looking slightly crazy buying back ups. With tarot I have often had to buy from various sellers so they don't think I'm unhinged. Or for my multiple Navigators; "Oh, I'm doing a course; they're for my students."

In the playing card universe it seems normal to buy loads of the same deck!

Rhinemaiden

Delighted to find this thread! Thanks for starting it! :) I've become enamoured of playing cards in the past couple of weeks... so affordable, and they take up so little room! ;) Just bought the Prospero Art Alice deck (blue back), last week Bicycle Disney Vile Villains, and the wonderful Bicycle plastic deck for outdoor use (great face/back design), Bicycle Tragic Royalty...

Now this thread has added to my "seek" list... thanks! :D

Le Fanu

Rhinemaiden said:
Delighted to find this thread! Thanks for starting it! :) I've become enamoured of playing cards in the past couple of weeks... so affordable, and they take up so little room!
So true!

The postman has just been and delivered my Bicycle 1800s deck (dark blue backs). It is stunning. So, so beautiful. I am totally in love with it; the distressed details, the fabulousness of the cardstock; so smooth, fans like a dream. a deck you just want to shuffle forever. If any of you held this in your hands, you would vow to learn cartomantic pip reading with a Poker deck. What an incentive a deck like this is! And only a fiver!

I shall certainly need more!