Different decks, different interpretations?

DownUnderNZer

I only read about 5 cards differently, but not because of any particular decks rather due to different systems.

With the Brazilian system "a lot of cards" read differently no matter what deck is used although some tend to go with decks that depict a picture a certain way. E.g. Clover. I did try it out once and actually liked it!

DND :)

Barleywine

Ok so this all makes a lot of sense -but- how is it I would be able to tell which discipline or tradition I'm involved with when going thru all these books, documents and youtubes? Any telltale 'signs'?? any advice for what to look out for?? because as you say, I wouldn't want to inadvertently mix n match traditions.

Here's a thread that might be helpful.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=175678

Village Witch

Addressing the title of this thread... Different decks, different interpretations?

Looking back over my daily reads for the past two weeks, all my reads with the Burning Serpent Oracle (labeled a Lenormand) have been leaning towards messages from Spirit. I am finding my reads to be reminiscent of tarot than Lenormand. When I looked at Hermes on the back of the cards, I found myself thinking, "Well, why not? Messages from the Gods after all."

How do you find your readings with this deck?

Barleywine

Addressing the title of this thread... Different decks, different interpretations?

Looking back over my daily reads for the past two weeks, all my reads with the Burning Serpent Oracle (labeled a Lenormand) have been leaning towards messages from Spirit. I am finding my reads to be reminiscent of tarot than Lenormand. When I looked at Hermes on the back of the cards, I found myself thinking, "Well, why not? Messages from the Gods after all."

How do you find your readings with this deck?

I've been using the Burning Serpent exclusively for a few weeks now. Because I had the advantage of reading Rachel Pollack's companion book before I started with it, I was able to get a clear fix on her intelligent application of the traditional meanings to the cards, supplemented by her optional enhancements, which she never tries to force on the reader. So to answer the question, the deck serves very well for what I would consider "standard" reading. I haven't tried to use the Osiris and Isis cards for any kind of "higher nature" perspective, though, and I probably won't.

Village Witch

I've been using the Burning Serpent exclusively for a few weeks now. Because I had the advantage of reading Rachel Pollack's companion book before I started with it, I was able to get a clear fix on her intelligent application of the traditional meanings to the cards, supplemented by her optional enhancements, which she never tries to force on the reader. So to answer the question, the deck serves very well for what I would consider "standard" reading. I haven't tried to use the Osiris and Isis cards for any kind of "higher nature" perspective, though, and I probably won't.

I plan to keep reading with the Burning Serpent Oracle for a few more weeks to see how things play out. Perhaps it is that I need to hear the spiritual messages at this time in my life. I love Rachel's traditional meanings of the symbols. I never stray with "optional enhancements" when using her deck as I do with other decks. I kept Osiris and Isis in the deck for a week, but removed them. They served their purpose when it came to reads that leaned to the spiritual. I'm still up in the air about their use in the deck.