3 Three of Swords

Seafra

Elnor said:
For me, because Swords have to do with the mind and the intellect it could be that alot of the pain in this card is caused by mental obsessing.

As an example; when a relationship ends, we cause ourselves further grief by endlessly worrying about all the things we should have said or done to save it- and who are they with now? are they thinking/missing/still possibly caring about me? Going over and over things in our head so that we can feel the ache in our heart... it's as though our thoughts and memories are actually weapons turning against ourself.
elnor

You have just described the nine of swords ;)

Seafra

ofbainbridge said:
many many just go by the usual Rider/Waite pic
That's because this is the Rider-Waite-Smith forum ;)

Blessings - Seafra

ofbainbridge

Seafra said:
That's because this is the Rider-Waite-Smith forum ;)

Blessings - Seafra
Wow thanks for the info Seafra - I think that those in this forum can handle possible interpretations outside the box...

Hugs

Seafra

ofbainbridge said:
Wow thanks for the info Seafra - I think that those in this forum can handle possible interpretations outside the box...

IMO it is not a question of people being unable to handle such. There is already a "box" for such discussion ie. the "Using Tarot Cards forum - The card meanings and symbolism, and the many ways of reading Tarot cards."

I would think the label "Rider-Waite-Smith" narrows the symbolism used here to actual RWS symbols, no?

Here's a few that might better answer your purpose from "Using Tarot Cards":
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=88264
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=88075
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=35293

Blessings - Seafra

The crowned one

I feel this card is often misrepresented or interpreted. Somehow it is constantly interpreted in the light of a cup, emotion and feelings, rather then by the way of the sword, intellect and reason. Even the tarot dictionaries have too many cup style interpretations for my liking. So here are my thoughts on the Three of Swords…

Generally I see this card being used in readings by others as meaning “sorrow and heartbreak” and really if you feel it does, so be it. But using its key: it is a sword. That tells me this card is about reason, analysis, and communication (among others). Next the card is a three, what does the three mean to you? For me threes are about ends and beginnings, new cycles, growth.. Using my own rules of interpretation as a base for this card without letting the imagery affect me yet, I have a card that is about understanding and growth. That does not sound too bad yet! Analysis leading to a new cycle. That sounds good too! So lets add the imagery of the Rider/Waite card using the foundation I established (and I use this rule for all my minor cards (suite, number, imagery, cards around it, and how the person I am reading for reacts to the card. I often ask “what do you see here?” and they almost always focus on one or two bits of information/imagery on a card) back to the topic…The imagery..This card is not about having your heart cut out and broken, it is about understanding the cause of your heartache and growing from it. In my journal I have: Quarrels in a relationship, Cutting to the heart of the matter, releasing pain and understanding your sorrow. Perhaps it is a need to express your sorrow, as swords are about communication, the rain in the background might mean tears, a very healthy release. It could be interpreted as very hurtful, and mean words causing the pain, cold calculated intentional hurt. It might in some cases suggest separation form the heart and emotion through to great of a reliance on logic and reason. So there is some healing in this card, some third person hurts, and a lot of growth and understanding.

I more often then not see it as a card cold truths, of healing, understanding, and insight.
Still sometimes it just means a broken heart ;)

ofbainbridge

Seafra said:
I would think the label "Rider-Waite-Smith" narrows the symbolism used here to actual RWS symbols, no?

Seafra,
Hmmm Noh -
By taking into account multiple factors in interpreting symbolism even in this deck: suit designation, numerological values, dignitaries etc...I am not stepping outside of R/W/S boundaries...it is my opinion that taking those other factors into consideration was integral to the creation of the deck and still is to its interpretation...

Seafra said:
Here's a few (links) that might better answer your purpose from "Using Tarot Cards":
Blessings - Seafra

By "better answer your purpose" do you mean to suggest something along the lines of because you do not agree with the way I am interpreting the R/W cards in this forum...in your estimation I should go elsewhere...???

Yeah okay...
My interpretation fits fine right where it is...and how it is...you may not agree with me especially including the multiple factors in interpretation of R/W and that is your choice...it is mine to include them because I think they are, collectively, intrinsic to the interpretation of these cards in this deck...

Blessings...

JonMAblaze

Stop fighting.

ofbainbridge

JonMablaze;

“When everybody thinks alike, nobody is thinking very much.” - old proverb

Disagreement is a normal and healthy part of learning...people voice opinions, people disagree...they work things out...cut that short and what could be learned constructively is diminished...

Stop fighting solves nothing...Noone here is fighting...

Blessings

Vetch

Long time no visit here for me, and what do I find? The power of the Three Sowrds (at least as I see it) in action. Communication, opinions, and, hey, swords ARE for fighting. But when wielded with grace and ability the (s)wordplay is good to watch and something to learn from. :)

HoneyBea

Vetch said:
In my world of Tarot the Swords mean Air, and Air symbolises Spring, Morning, the Mind, the Intellect, Thoughts, Thinking, Communication etc.
And the number three, as I stated above, is about communication, too; about getting together, sharing, creating.
When we combine those attributes the Three of Swords is not about heartache at all (that would rather be something for the Cups, imo) but about communication, eg. via the internet. Through books. Discussions. Letters. Etc.
Several minds meet and they focus and they hit the heart of the matter. The picture of the pierced heart makes perfect sense in that light, too.
Then the seemingly depressing weather in the background becomes a cleansing, perhaps exciting storm (I got a personal thing with strong wind and piecing rain -- something inside me takes wing and flies); and the rain might pour on a dry and barren land (of thought).

What say you? :)

Well I understand what you are saying here however this is Rider Waite Smith study group and I always thought that this meant understanding or at least trying to understand what Waite and Smith were trying to convey rather than giving alternative ideas — however each to their own so I will work on the premise of trying to understand the imagery of Pixie and the words of Waite.

The Three of Swords has in Book T the Esoteric Title of Lord of Sorrow

Although Waite does not have a lot to say about this card this is what he does say the PKT
The Pictorial Key to the Tarot by Arthur Edward Waite (1911)
Three swords piercing a heart; cloud and rain behind. Divinatory Meanings: Removal, absence, delay, division, rupture, dispersion, and all that the design signifies naturally, being too simple and obvious to call for specific enumeration. Reversed: Mental alienation, error, loss, distraction, disorder, confusion.

So Waite does associated this card with sorrow rather than a light 'hearted' meaning although he does say"and all that the design signifies naturally, being too simple and obvious to call for specific enumeration." so with this statement he indicates that the design is simple and obvious - a damaged heart that he doesn't need to list all the possible meanings.
but the image talks about heartbreak that could indicate a relationship that cause deep wounds or even a very deep and emotional pain/wound and could on a very mundane level suggest surgery to you!

Now lets take a look at how Pixie illustrated this:

Pixies illustration bears a resemblance to the 3 Swords in the Sola Busca deck: Three swords are seen piercing a red heart but the difference in Pixie's image is she has added clouds and rain.

The element assigned to Swords in the Waite/Smith deck is Air and that symbolises intellect, clarity, communication and so this image of the swords cutting through the heart may well be representing here negative thoughts and sharp words that cause pain and suffering. The rain and clouds seem to add to the picture of sorrow, all cloudy and damp but there is also a brighter message to this card from what I can see, and that is through pain and hurt you can gain an understanding that enables your growth. The three is just a transient stage it won't be long before you can move on to the four and take time out to reflect.;)

Threes as a number in the tarot sequence can very often be seen as the first stage of completing — they offer growth and expansion — as was mentioned above in the first post in this thread it is where the 1 and 2 have come together to create a third. So in the threes we get to see where the idea has emerged, the first two are the pair who carry out that idea and three bears the fruit of that idea.

So relate that to the swords you have the Ace that offers you the potential to sort thoughts out and try to put them in some order from which to proceed, the 2 highlights the duality that may have to be faced in trying to decided which way to go, this is a card that indicates tension that will have to be sorted sooner or later, and if not well you arrive at the three.

Just my little look at this Card from Waite/Smith:)

~HoneyBea~

I have attached the Sola Busca 3 swords for you to see the similarity.

Attachments

• Sola_Busca_3_of_Swords_small.jpg
    Sola_Busca_3_of_Swords_small.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,052