REVERSALS: The Empress Reversed

Bazaa

Well, I read that somewhere and didn't really had an explanation to it, and although I thought of it as something like Romeo and Juliet, I guess incest would be more fitting than that... I guess the other kind of forbidden love would be more fitting for reversed Lovers, wouldn't it?

star-lover

Bazaa said:
Well, I read that somewhere and didn't really had an explanation to it, and although I thought of it as something like Romeo and Juliet, I guess incest would be more fitting than that... I guess the other kind of forbidden love would be more fitting for reversed Lovers, wouldn't it?
what?

afrosaxon

Sushi said:
If the Empress upright means motherly nuturing, then reversed it can be weaning. It can seem really cruel at the time, but it's necessary to move to solid food.

I agree with this.

Empress rev. (which, in the Gaian Tarot, is called The Gardener) could indicate that someone is no longer "growing" certain aspects of his/her life...weeding and hindering growth (rev. position) as opposed to fertilizing and encouraging growth (upright position), if you will. Getting rid of negative habits, people, thoughts, behaviors, etc.--could be as literal as going on a diet (stopping the "growth" of your scale numbers and "abundance" of your waistline :laugh:) , or stopping smoking/drinking/gambling.

In the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot, the Empress is called Ayizan; she is the lwa (spirit) of the marketplace and a healer; her marketplace is patronized by the dead and the living, as all have something to offer. In a reversed position, a person could no longer be "buying" what someone is "selling"...no "growth" of commerce, increase (food, merchandise), etc. Could also mean that someone may be in need of healing (since Ayizan is a healer) or is resisting such.

Just my $.02.

T.

finaflight

If the reverse Empress is a man - how would that be explained.

I once asked a question 'what do I need to know about a man friend" and I got the reverse Empress

And with the reverse Empress - would you then apply the same basic information with all the Female Court cards?

tarotlyn

As far as the Empress reversed in a man's reading, I would just read it simply
as he is NOT being creative or productive at all. I know that others here will
come up with other things it means...but that is my first take on it.

ETA: laziness?

and I DO read the female court cards as "male" or a "negative" female...
(that is IF I am reading them as an actual person rather than an inflluence.)

finaflight

I never really thought about the female Court card as being an influence. I`ll keep that in mind. It makes alot of sense to me.

When I seen the Empress reverse in the reading - the first thing that came to mind was abortion - like in abort the friendship/relationship etc

thank you so much for your input

Cosmoline

tarotlyn

Right...and the Empress reversed can, I think, indicate an "actual" abortion or "miscarriage" ~
at least I have seen that in readings I've done for customers through the years...

That is good: an abortion of the relationship or friendship:thumbsup::)

xhollysue

I can totally see the "forbidden love." The Empress represents both Demeter - the nurturing mother - as well as Aphrodite - a spontaneous lover. Overall she's emotional and social. So reversed, I see her emotions being denied, her being rejected socially - her desire to love and please and nurture not being allowed for whatever reason.

finaflight

Empress Revered Druid Craft

Hi everyone

Just going to add to Druid Craft thread

Empress reversed

I did earlier think that maybe the Empress reversed was maybe to abort a friendship/relationship.
But last night I lay in bed thinking about the picture again.
Then I thought about the Fool baking a cookie.

He would first go to the Magician and gather up the materials to bake the cookie.
Then the Fool would go the High Priestess for the secret ingredients.
Then the Fool head over to the Empress to bake his cookie.
But if the Empress is up-side-down the cookie would not cook or would burn.
Or maybe the oven isn’t working in the first place. A malfunction of some sort.
I have got this card for a male twice now.
I know he has no children. But I think there is more to this than that.

Just my thoughts

Gonna head over to “My readings” to do my spread with the Empress reversed.

Aset

This means that she knows when to withhold as well as give. A *good* mother knows when and how to wean her child because it's time to nurture them with solid food. A good mother knows when to let them cry rather than running in to comfort them because this helps them grow. She even knows, when the time comes, how to discipline her child, quietly, patiently, firmly. She understands that her children need limits and rules and regular time tables.

While the Emperor's organization is external, the Empress' is intenal, but she is just as organized in her own way. She is connected to the Earth and the seasons and, when upright, certainly knows when it's the right time to do whatever needs doing; like a mother bird who knows when it's time to push her chicks out of the nest. She keeps to a softer but no less regular schedule. This means she will do what's right and necessary to help her child grow, even the things which seem cruel.

This reminds me of a West African Adrinka symbol, akoko nan, the leg of a hen. I don't know what the protocol is here for including outside links, but from a few websites I've found it says this about it:

"This represents the ideal nature of parents, being both protective and corrective. An reminder to nurture children as well as a warning not to pamper them."