8 yr old daughter wants a deck

Nytebugg

I'd say whimsical is good. It is still available from US games.

I flipped through Paulina. it isn't scary and no nudity but it is rather busy.

Maybe Tarot of the Magical Forest. I haven't actually seen that one so I can't say what all the cards look like.

sapienza

Nytebugg said:
I'd say whimsical is good. It is still available from US games.
There is a companion book for this deck as well and it's got lots of great info about the fairy tales and more.

Nytebugg

I checked and both the book and deck for whimsical are available on amazon

cardlady22

My 3 favorites are

The Girls Guide to Tarot kit
Whimsical (deck & book)
Tarot of the Animal Lords*

*The animals are named in the LWB, so a book or reference on Power/Totem Animals can be fun.

And of course, I love making my own sets with Neopets, Bella Sara, etc.

Golden Moon

Barbie Tarot or Vanessa Tarot ;)

Taamar

I'd have said Shadowscapes, but there are a few female nipples. (Strength, 5 of pentacles, 7 of pentacles, 3 of cups). About as many topless males, too. It's not even remotely sexual/sensual, but it's definitely nudity. A shame, it's quite beautiful.

nisaba

:bugeyed:

Every child I'v e ever known has *hated* stuff obviously aimed at a kiddie-market.

And my first-ever reading before I'd heard of Tarot was done by a ten-year-old with a mini Rider-Waite (blue tartan an' all). I don't remember the reading except that she solemnly told me I was going to die (I wasn't worried), but I *do* know it was a gateway-experience. Perhaps it wouldn't have been if it was a pastel-coloured deck full of barbies or people-shaped lollies.

chrissydogz

Amanda_04 said:
Cardlady suggested The Girl's Guide to Tarot for me the other day in a thread where I was trying to identify a card deck I saw for my 5 year-old daughter.

I went with Fantasy Fortunes for now though, which is more of a novelty oracle until my daughter is a little bit older to start trying to understand tarot. But she sees me with my cards and wants to get in on it, so I thought this would be fun. :)

ETA: I think the Hanson-Roberts is child-friendly also.

ETA2: Oops, I guess Glass Owl already mentioned the HR deck. Well... there's vote number 2 for it. :D
i was just about to suggest the hanson-roberts deck it is simply adorable(just the devil card creeps me out)the paige cards in this deck always make me go DAWWWWWW. i am invisioning this little girl as the paige of cups in the hanson-roberts deck,the surprised look on her face when she sees the fish emerge from the cup...no doubt that will be her face when she discovers her love for tarot.

prettypiscesmom

And my first-ever reading before I'd heard of Tarot was done by a ten-year-old with a mini Rider-Waite (blue tartan an' all). I don't remember the reading except that she solemnly told me I was going to die (I wasn't worried), but I *do* know it was a gateway-experience. Perhaps it wouldn't have been if it was a pastel-coloured deck full of barbies or people-shaped lollies.

Thank you for sharing that!!!! I'm still giggling..... Not at your gateway experience..... but the reading..... How lovely it is that it was such a young girl that opened your eyes to tarot... I'm glad she did, I have benefitted from your insights many times...

And.. sheesh.... what beautiful options you all have presented to me... I want to start her off with one that we both like. Two reasons, I am quite sure she will have moms hard & fast rule about NO ONE touching her tarot cards, lol. And I'd like for us to have a deck that we can study together, I love all of you guys on here, but... it'd be great to have a real live study buddy : )..

I'm going to take my cue from her... she knows quite a bit (for her age) about tarot... the elements associated with each suit, difference between majors and minors...and some numerology... she loves numbers....

Soooo... I wanted to surprise her, but I'm going to have her look at some of these decks and then ask her what her favorite is.... & go from there...

xoxoxoxoxo