Should i tell him? The Magician

spookyboo22

Hi
My ex is an alcoholic.

I think he is very ill with a condition mostly unheard of .

Common wisdom is to leave an alcoholic to it but my conscience is telling me to ask him to see a doctor before it's too late. Whether he does or not will be up to him.

I asked the tarot should i ring him and express my concern? I pulled the magician.

I think this card means yes i would be doing the right thing. The magician can mean a doctor to me.

I don't know how he'll take this by the way. I saw him today and was shocked at how he looked.

Any advice would be great x

Sentient

spookyboo22, The Magician is saying that you have more influence than you realize.

In order to have the best chance of success, you'll need to use the four suit energies, which correspond to the four Jungian functions: make sure you speak to him in person (Pentacles / Sensation), determine what would be the best approach knowing your ex as you do (Wands / Intuition), use your ability to connect to him emotionally, convincing him that you truly care about his well-being despite the fact that you're no longer together (Cups / Feeling), and have a plan for what to do assuming you're able to reach him emotionally (Swords / Thinking).

If you genuinely try your best, you'll have nothing to regret later. Good luck.

danieljuk

let's look at it a different way, I think the message of the Magician for your answer is what tools can you give him to go to the Doctor? It's not just a message you are concerned but also resources, I mean could you offer to take him as you are a bit worried? Not force him but offer more than a suggestion, I don't know your relationship but just an idea. The Magician is about making it happen as an action. Sorry he is having such ill health :(

Lady Esmeralda

Your questions was: Should I ring him and express my concern?

I would say that the appearance of the Magician, not only suggests a definitely "yes" to your question, but it also suggest the potential for making magic; in other words, for a transformation! If you do, this card suggest that you might help him finally realize that he is sick, that he needs medical and professional help and when he does, thats when the alchemy (cause the Magician also represents alchemy) of his body, mind and spirit would take form. So yes, the potential is there! You have the power to make it happen. Hope this helps.

Mirror of Galadriel

The Magician - Personal Will

The Magician is a very interesting card to pull in this case. It means free will and the ability to manifest that which you desire. It is not a doctor.

In this case you are able to help him, if that be your will. And you should try to help him if your will guides you to do so.

It also means, by the same token, that he can continue to drink if that is his will.

Those who conquer addictions often learn to have "the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things that I can, and the wisdom to know the difference". The Magician here is the courage to change the things that can be changed. You cannot change him. He can only change himself. You can only empower him.

However, one good sign here, is the Magician who has the implements at his command. It means that he does have the power within his grasp to conquer this addiction, if he so chooses. It is up to him. It is all in his hands and up to his will.

Perhaps you should bring him to an AA meeting, or get him AA materials and give them to him. Good luck.

nisaba

Another yes/no question, something chatty old Tarot is not good at. :)

But the Magician tells you that you will have to use all your skills to get the outcome you want (in this case, getting him to admit to the problem and seek medical advice).

jenster

I think The Magician is a resounding yes in this case.

But I also think it is telling you to go about it using all the resources at your disposal.
You know this man very well, you know the problem; I think you are being told to think very well about how you are going to broach this utilising your ingenuity.

He needs to hear it the way you mean it for it to sink in and I believe The Magician is telling you have all the knowledge and skills to make that happen.

I am really sorry for him though he is pretty lucky to have someone like you in his life.

decan

I would say like other members that the Magician says that you could do or try something.
Nevertheless the Magician is the first card just after the Fool, therefore an awareness is maybe possible but just as a first step and possibly.

The Magician can as well depict a physician, I agree. Probably it is more the role of a doctor to tell that kind of truth, because you are his ex, so it isn't the same.
Anyway, I think the card says yes, with skill (tact).

headincloud

Magician is the card of clear, concise communication so a resounding yes, also represents a doctor or skilled surgeon etc so I would go with your intuition and intervene to get him help. Those who act as agents are also tied to the card for this person will be skilled at helping others do their very best, which is a reflection of one of your gifts along with your obvious kindness.

spookyboo22

spookyboo22, The Magician is saying that you have more influence than you realize.

In order to have the best chance of success, you'll need to use the four suit energies, which correspond to the four Jungian functions: make sure you speak to him in person (Pentacles / Sensation), determine what would be the best approach knowing your ex as you do (Wands / Intuition), use your ability to connect to him emotionally, convincing him that you truly care about his well-being despite the fact that you're no longer together (Cups / Feeling), and have a plan for what to do assuming you're able to reach him emotionally (Swords / Thinking).

If you genuinely try your best, you'll have nothing to regret later. Good luck.

Thanks!

I found your last line comforting.
I will use all the elements in my approach x