About To Buy... German Or English?

September Pixie

Someone told me that the difference between the German and English version is color.. does anyone have examples they can post? Will i be missing anything if I cannot read German?

Strange2

You can view examples of both the German and English editions of the Margarete Petersen Tarot from the Tarot Garden site, at:

http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/dbsearchengine.php?view_title=Petersen

Click on "More Samples" to see the images.

The German edition has dark wine colored borders, while the English version has light gray borders.

I have the German version, and love the cards on the darker borders, but wish I had the English version of the book.

September Pixie

i've seen from tarot garden, i was hoping someone would have both sets and could compare side by side, the borders arent so important to me but I dont want to buy the english version if its very washed out..

would I be missing out on anything buying only the german edition, since I cannot read german?

Gardener

Hey Pixie,

I personally adore the cards with the wine-dark border, but I don't think they are easy to find any more. The German deck has gone into a second printing, and for some reason the publisher chose to go with the pale blue like the English edition. That's what Jeannette at Tarot Garden told me when I was looking for a second dark-bordered edition.

I do have both and have gone through the cards side by side. The color saturation of the images themselves is identical in both editions. Some look more vivid with the dark border, some with the pale border.

The card stock is thinner in the english edition, which makes it a bit easier to shuffle (big cards you know).

Beautiful deck, absolutely stunning. Very abstract images, but if you read the accompanying text, the links to the standard divinitory meanings can be worked out. Enjoy!

Gardener

Strange2,

The text that Margarete wrote to explain her thoughts on the cards is SUPERB! Fortunately, our very own Firemaiden was good enough to translate each and every card from the German before the english edition became available. I have the english booklet, and in my opinion, Firemaiden's translations are more poetic and more pleasurable to read. They are the first post for each of the cards in this study group, and I highly recommend that you take a look!

firemaiden

Gardener said:
I have the english booklet, and in my opinion, Firemaiden's translations are more poetic and more pleasurable to read.

YAYAYAY!!!!! thank you :D :D

xviiirkna

Hi there,

I have the German edition with the dark wine colored borders and I absolutely love the cards. I don't speak (or read) German but for me, this it has never been a problem to relate to these highly expressive paintings in reading or in meditation. The imagery transcends language and speaks to the heart and soul quite fluently.

I kind of like working with decks that I can't fall back on a booklet to gain insight from words...discovering what the artwork says to me and deciding how I relate that in a reading has brought about some wonderful insights that I'm not sure I would have gotten if I was concerned about fitting my perspective into a written interpretation.

But regardless of which deck you choose, the same stunning paintings await for you to enter into and become enveloped in their blissful wonderland. Enjoy!

Blessings,
Sally Anne