Happiness - Nine of Cups

mooiedragon

So.... I seem to recall posting about this before, but nothing came up when I searched so....

I'm just wondering why it is often called the "wish card"?

I pulled it as my daily card today and am thinking that perhaps I'm putting far too high expectations on this card. From my notes I've jotted down phrases (probably ones I got from this forum) "Complete Success", "fullfillment", "pleasure and physical well-being. These sound like pretty positive things to me, but my nine of cups days are generally... pretty average. Basically they have become days when nothing goes wrong. Am I reading too much "happiness and good fortune" into this card? Or could I just be a wands and disks kind of a girl?

ravenest

mooiedragon said:
Success", "fullfillment", "pleasure and physical well-being. These sound like pretty positive things to me, but my nine of cups days are generally... pretty average. Basically they have become days when nothing goes wrong.
Days like that (when nothing goes wrong - and I'm not complaining and flapping around like a cranky penguin) allow me to feel my natural 'happy' state. When the body doesnt groan and complain opr be sick ... I guess I just feel naturally fullfilled. I've done a LOT of what I wanted to do in my life so I feel faily fullfilled. Maybe I'm just simply satisfied, but for me happiness is as simple as that.
mooiedragon said:
Am I reading too much "happiness and good fortune" into this card? Or could I just be a wands and disks kind of a girl?
Perhaps you have had happiness and good fortune most of the time so when it comes up for you you expect the manifestion to be a bit more 'spectacular'.

I saw a very good and interesting play done by 2 black Sth Africans. They played different people and one was an old woman who was SOOO overjoyed and happy because she found all this left-over food in the garbage while she was fossicing in the street. - It's relative I suppose.

mooiedragon

ravenest said:
Days like that (when nothing goes wrong - and I'm not complaining and flapping around like a cranky penguin) allow me to feel my natural 'happy' state. When the body doesnt groan and complain opr be sick ... I guess I just feel naturally fullfilled. I've done a LOT of what I wanted to do in my life so I feel faily fullfilled. Maybe I'm just simply satisfied, but for me happiness is as simple as that.

That makes a lot of sense to me. The simplicity thing I mean. I have very little water in my astrological chart and I often find the cups hard to identify with, but after reading your post I think I'm starting to get the gist of them. They are more peaceful and harmonious than I've given them credit for. So maybe I've been over analyzing the nine of cups. Maybe it IS just simply a state of being where nothing is going wrong, but you still feel content.

ravenest

Or a state where because nothing is going wrong we SHOULD feel content?

May

I usually get Nine of Cups when I ask a question about my heart's dearest and deepest desire.
This card is all about happiness and contentment. And its a lot in our hands to be happy. When this cards shows up with another one, it seems to say "This is where my happiness lies" or "This is what I want the most in my life at the moment"
For a days reading, Nine of cups indicates a pleasant day with our luck walking right in front of us giving us or guiding us to all we want.

mooiedragon

ravenest said:
Or a state where because nothing is going wrong we SHOULD feel content?

Is there such thing as a state that should make us feel a certain way?

ravenest

Eh?

mooiedragon said:
Is there such thing as a state that should make us feel a certain way?

Eh Mooie, what you on about? Ever been in a confused state ... how did that feel?

I felt hot when I went interstate to Queensland.

Maybe I'm not getting your meaning?

I meant (as a spoilt, white, rich, upper-class {compared to the rest of the world} westerner), when nothing bad is happening and when we are healthy I assume we should be grateful for our fortunate cicumstances (at least materially anyway)

mooiedragon

Hey Big, Black Birdie!

As usual I am complicating a seemingly simple explanation. It's what I do. And, probably why I haven't been "getting" the meaning of the nine of cups.

I submit to y'all that the nine of cups implies a state where nothing is going wrong; when our needs are being met and there is no foreseeable trouble in the future. I also submit that this is a state in which most people feel contentment.

Personally, it's not a state in which I generally experience happiness. ( I'm weird, though). Although i am able to feel thankful for my well-being and fortunate circumstances in relation to the plight of others, I tend to feel restless, and even anxious when there is no adversity in the air. And I'll bet there are those who feel guilt over this, and probably even more who are indifferent. We can't all feel the same way over the same situation, no matter how obvious it may seem to some.

So basically, I think what I was really struggling with was in fact simply semantics. If I call the nine of cups "Contentment" it makes more sense to me. Maybe in the future, when I've matured (yeah like that'll ever happen!), and become more settled, worked through a few obvious issues, the simplicity of tranquility will bring me happiness. Right now, not so much.

ravenest

Ah, now I understand you!

It's just that you aren't as old and boring as me :Laugh:

I rememver that restless energy ... back then.

Yes, now I seem to have more time for contentment.

rachelcat

IDS study post

I agree with the previous posts. I didn't really feel anything spectacular on my 9 of Cups day, but I often think or say aloud, "I just wish I didn't feel sick all the time!" (Just digestive difficulties, but annoying . . .) And it is human nature when we don't feel bad to not notice that we actually feel good!

On to the study!

Drawn for Wednesday, January 28
Written Friday, January 30, 2009

9 of Cups Happiness!

Always a good card to see! What is there to say about a card called Happiness? First of all the 9 of Cups (and I believe the 9 of Hearts) is traditionally the wish card, as in if you get it in a reading you get your wish. And if it shows up in a negative or advice position, be careful what you wish for because you might just get it.

9 is the sephira of the moon. I associate that sephira with the persona, that illusion of a person that you present to the world as the real you. It can also be ego, the illusion of a separate self. Through these musings and trial and error I have decided that 9s represent morality and karma, what is deserved by the individual in consequence of his/her own actions.

So, if you get 9 of Cups, not only do you get Happiness and what you wish for, these things are also deserved by you. You earned them somehow.

Crowley says the significance of 9 is that although it is low on the tree, it comes back to the middle pillar and is on a straight line from Tiphareth, so it is much more fortunate than 7 or 8.

The cups are aranged in a square, showing that 9 is a “perfect” square number. (Only 4 is squarer!) And it is very balanced and regular in appearance. The water shoots out straight and overflows, both signs of the fortunate in this deck. Each cup has its own lotus blossom delivering its water, but the cups also send water streams to cups in the rows below them. (Those are lotus stems behind.) This could symbolize happiness in relation/connection with others.

I am interested in the dual suit symbols of water in this deck, cups AND lotuses. Lotuses of course represent blessedness and spiritual purity. And the interconnectedness between spirituality and mundane life. The lotus plant is rooted in the cold muck at the bottom of a pond, but the flower rises high above the surface of the water, pure and clean and cool and tranquil and beautiful (the fruits of a calm and awakened mind and life). But without the roots and mud, there would be no flower! Buddhas and bodhisattvas are often depicted seated on a stylized lotus to show they are coming to us from that calm and awakened place--but they know where their roots are. They were humans just like us once!

There are no handles on these cups, and they are very rounded, almost spherical, like coconuts with the tops cut off and cone shaped bases added. Organic shapes? Geometrical shapes? Perhaps they are geometrical shapes to compliment the perfect square math.

Colors: Hmm, not much help from Snuffin this time. Only that the sky is blue, showing the good fortune of Jupiter. The cups are lavender/amethyst. A good spiritual color . . .

Jupiter in Pisces: Jupiter rules Pisces, another reason why this is a very fortunate card. When Jupiter is comfortable, everyone gets luckier! Crowley even goes so far as to say that happiness is mostly a matter of chance, so Jupiter as fortune (like the wheel of fortune) is especially appropriate. The cups sit on the calm waters of Pisces. I don’t know much about Pisces. Banzhaf says it is a sign of spirituality, sacrificing altruism, and compassionate counselors. Lucky to be on the receiving end of that, I guess!

Crowley says Jupiter/Chesed “represents water in its highest material manifestation.” How can 4/Jupiter/Chesed represent water? In MATERIAL representation? Any clues on this would be appreciated!

Crowley is careful to point out that happiness doesn’t last forever. There is only stability in change. And fulfillment leads to satiety, 10 of Cups. But he goes on to wax poetic about the nectar of the gods poured by Ganymede himself, so if you have happiness, enjoy it while you can! And make good wishes!

As a card of the day: Once again, it’s hard to remember. I don’t think I was drinking any nectar with Ganymede—I probably would have remembered that! It is probably a follow-up to the 10 of Cups I had earlier. Yes satiety happens, but so does true happiness. Change is not a cause for cynicism, but for acceptance and compassion.

In a reading: As I said at the beginning, you will get what you wish for, you deserve it, and choose wisely. And nothing lasts forever, so enjoy it while you can. And don’t be cynical! Lots of advice for 9 small cups of nectar!