The Golden tarot of Klimt

AnneLien

I want this one, I really LOVE LOVE LOVE Klimt for some reason, his use of colors, god I love it!

Who has this deck? I don't like Lo Scarabeo and especially the ugly borders but still I really would like to have this one!!

Le Fanu

Stunning deck. One of my favourites. Don't listen to the naysayers who say it is full of skinny, sick people from a concentration camp. It is a wonderful, wonderful deck. Everything about this deck just sings to me. The poise, the elegance, the fin de siecle decadence, the contorting sirens and nymphs beckoning you into a shimmering netherworld of opulence and sensuality.

It bears little resemblance to the RWS deck but I just find it so, so readable. I have mine in a baba Klimt bag and is the deck I reach for when I do not want to be fettered by the RWS or Thoth or any other system. I just lay the cards out and they sing and beckon to one another, like mermaids calling to one another as they preen.

I thought I'd hate this deck. I put off buying it for ages, thinking it would be unconvincing copies of paintings I love, but it soon sucked me into its flickering, gaslit, twilight world of vice and temptation! Yay! Love it. Dig that glittering gold!

And I never even notice the borders any more...

AnneLien

Le Fanu said:
Stunning deck. One of my favourites. Don't listen to the naysayers who say it is full of skinny, sick people from a concentration camp. It is a wonderful, wonderful deck. Everything about this deck just sings to me. The poise, the elegance, the fin de siecle decadence, the contorting sirens and nymphs beckoning you into a shimmering netherworld of opulence and sensuality.

It bears little resemblance to the RWS deck but I just find it so, so readable. I have mine in a baba Klimt bag and is the deck I reach for when I do not want to be fettered by the RWS or Thoth or any other system. I just lay the cards out and they sing and beckon to one another, like mermaids calling to one another as they preen.

I thought I'd hate this deck. I put off buying it for ages, thinking it would be unconvincing copies of paintings I love, but it soon sucked me into its flickering, gaslit, twilight world of vice and temptation! Yay! Love it. Dig that glittering gold!

And I never even notice the borders any more...

Thanks for the response. I think I will buy it! I really like it.

Delirium

I like it but unfortunately, the Atannassov character who draws most of the Lo Scarabeo tarot decks, in my opinion, did a very bad job at replicating Klimt's art.

While the ornamental stuff is quite good, the faces look like a poor copy and too washed out. I think this is due to him using colored pencils for drawing.

On their own the cards look quite good. Once you see the corresponding painting... well - that's the reason I havent yet bought it.

Le Fanu

No-one could replicate Klimt's art. I was familiar with Klimt's work and had seen the gold works up close way before I ever held the deck in my hands. I think it is more a case of the deck conveying the universe and the atmosphere and that first and foremost it is tarot and - for me - I think the deck works quite well. Some cards are certainly moe successful than others.

I like the geometric composition, the way the skinny figues are arranged alongside the Wands and swords etc. I think it is a quite unusual type of composition, particularly in the Minors.

Delirium

Le Fanu said:
No-one could replicate Klimt's art. I was familiar with Klimt's work and had seen the gold works up close way before I ever held the deck in my hands. I think it is more a case of the deck conveying the universe and the atmosphere and that first and foremost it is tarot and - for me - I think the deck works quite well. Some cards are certainly moe successful than others.

I like the geometric composition, the way the skinny figues are arranged alongside the Wands and swords etc. I think it is a quite unusual type of composition, particularly in the Minors.

I've seen some of the originals as well in Vienna. I believe that it could have been done closer to Klimt, or at the very least with a medium that matches the originals better (again, referring to the faces and bodies) - I find the color contrast much too jarring.

On the other hand, for a Tarot that showcases almost intact works of a famous artist it is done quite well. (that would be the art deck discussion from a week ago). Its the only such deck I even considered buying, which says something about its quality I suppose.

divinerguy

I've got it, and its a tremendous deck. I think its better suited for an intuitive reader, but really, its pretty readable for anyone. Best of all, the artwork is terrific.

nisaba

AnneLien said:
Who has this deck? I don't like Lo Scarabeo and especially the ugly borders but still I really would like to have this one!!
Le Fanu said:
Stunning deck. One of my favourites. Don't listen to the naysayers who say it is full of skinny, sick people from a concentration camp. It is a wonderful, wonderful deck.
<cackle> Fully-qualified naysayer reporting for duty, here!

It *is* full of skinny, sick-looking people. And it's fantastic. It taps me into a world of illness and weakness that I don't often get to experience.

Love the Moon - one of the few healthy people in the deck, and she's comatose and in outer space! <laughter>

Le Fanu

I love the 7 of Wands, the battling of the Minotaur and the 2 of Swords, two sickly men trying to support each other. And the angular Hanged Man.

So many wonderful cards in this deck.

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
and the 2 of Swords, two sickly men trying to support each other.

So many wonderful cards in this deck.
<brightly> See?