Which RWS ?............

WolfyJames

Personally I find the Universal fluffy, the artist put smiles all over the place when in the Original RWS most of the characters don't smile at all. I prefer the Radiant for the bold colors and that the artist kept the faces serious, that makes the cards more ambiguous since they're neutral and therefore more given to interpretations. I did not get the Centennial pack but it does look decent, better than the Universal, that is for sure.

Margo9023

TarotVisions

Check out the RW clones here on AT - http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rider-waite-clones.shtml

When you talk about having the Original RW, I think you're actually talking about the Standard or Regular RW. Original RW is similar to the Standard RW except has more of a beige colouring with blue backs. Standard is the one with plaid backs. Just be careful because you don't want to be buying the wrong one! ;)

Me, I like using the Universal. I think it is the nicest because the pictures are the most detailed and the colouring is soft. Plus I'm a huge fan of glossy cards.

Hi TarotVisions! Thank you. I will definitely check them out. This was helpful.

Margo9023

Melia

Please note that the card stock on the Pamela-Coleman Smith deck is VERY THICK (what others would call sturdy). This is something that some people do not like when shuffling the deck (depending on their shuffling method and size of hands). Just be aware of this, as many people who have and like this deck, tend to leave this important detail out when recommending this particular deck to others. Others don't like the shiny surface on many of the U.S. Games cards. (I prefer a shiny surface than an overly thick card stock).

The standard RWS with the lily/rose blue and white pattern on the backs is probably the RW deck I would recommend to a person starting on their tarot journey, or the Universal Waite (with the star patterned backs) that you alreadyhave .... but this is just me. You are best to go through the list of RW decks available to see what images appeal to YOU. (I do agree with you though that the plaid backs version is not very nice).

If you do not feel experienced enough, it's probably because that is the case ... and a different version of a RW deck won't help give you that experience. That is something you will have to work through with the use of the cards (whichever deck you have) and actually learning the system.

My recommendation is that you maybe buy one other version of the RW so you have 2 decks to work with, but along with this buy a book where you can learn the tarot meanings - maybe something like Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis which has the illustrations of the Robin Wood deck (another RW version, that some people either love or hate).

And a final word from me, please do not base your love of a deck on the deck interview. Better to do a few readings with the deck to see how it reads for you.

Hi Melia! And, thank you. This has been of great help. I think I'm going to try all your recommendations. : )

Margo9023

Emily

The cardstock on the Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative set is sturdy but I like the way it shuffles and how the deck feels, I dislike decks that stick or clump together and don't shuffle smoothly, the Commemorative doesn't clump. I also love the colouring of this deck, even with the artificial ageing.

If you wanted a cheaper alternative, then Lo Scarabeo also released a new version called the PCS tarot. This has a very similar aged look to it but it's on the usual good quality LoS cardstock.

Those 2 RWS's are my favourites but I do own the Universal, the Radiant, the so-called Original (Rose and Lillies back) and a couple of the plaid back standards. I have issues with all of these decks but no problems at all with the Commemorative and LoS PCS.

Just take a look at the images and see which decks appeal. Some love the dark outlining and limited colours of the Original Rose and Lillies deck but it never really appealed to me and I don't like the yellow used on the Standard RWS. I was pleased when the Commemorative and the PCS decks were released and now they are the only RWS 's I use. :)

Hi Emily! Thank you. Everyone is giving such good feedback, this is great! : )

Margo9023

LeFanu

This has been discussed lots of times.

Now matter how the question is worded you will find that a three or four page thread will have 75% saying they prefer the Pamela Colman Smith Centennial pack deck so that seems to be the winner.

I have and like and use a wide selection of editions, not always easy to find - like the University Books RWS, Rider & Co blue box or the Hoi Polloi - but I also like and use the US Games PCS Centennial deck or the LoS Centennial deck (which I genuinely think has the nicest, most sensitive colouring) and the US Games Original.

I tried again yesterday with the Universal recoloured US Games one and - it's official - it's not for me. It feels like the simpering, spineless, shoulder shrugging cousin. All other RWS decks feel much more rigorous and up to the task than this one.

Hi LeFanu, Thank you. This is helpful. : )

Margo9023

LRichard

That's exactly how I feel about the Universal vs. the others. However, I sort of resent how you are able to express my own feelings better than I can. :(

Thanks LRichard! I'm not good at expressing my feelings verbally. I can think - but can't express verbally right either.

merissa_88

I love the Albano-Waite. There's a US Games version that is affordable, though some people don't like the slippery cardstock. And the colors are very bright! (It's very '60s). I love it because it has one elemental color background for each of the suits (orange=fire=wands,etc)

But the Original or PCS Centennial are my favorites of the ones you are looking at.

Shade

When I started reading Tarot on the Mid-90s the Universal was all the rage because everyone felt it had "better colors" and no one could stand the flatness of the regular Rider Waite USG was publishing. Now the pendulum has swung and people turn to the Rider Waite and Pamela Colman Smith Centennial for a vintage fee.

I absolutely cannot do the Radiant Rider Waite - tangerine skies are not something I personally find very dignified ;-).

I love to use my University Press Rider Waite (very gently) or my Original Rider Waite if I'm letting anyone else touch the cards. I must get an Albano at some point just to see how it reads.

One thing I will say about flat colors of the more vintage decks, I often read in bars and placed with unusual lighting and the colors can really come alive under certain conditions.