the thoth companion

crystal dawn

I have recently come accross the thoth companion book by michael osiris snuffin.
I was reading the description for the magus card and according to snuffin the cynocephallus ape in the card is a highly intellegent companion to thoth who assists him in the hall of judgement (which may all be well and good) and that the reason for cynocephallus ape is shaking his fist in this card is a representation of the hebrew letter kaph - trump 10 - fortune where apparently according to snuffin the creature crawling up the wheel is not hermanubis but non other than the cynocephallus ape himself. Now is this just a snuffin theory or is there anything by crowley to back this up. The book of thoth does not mention the cynocephallus ape being in trump 10 and cleary states the purpose of the cynocephallus ape in the magus card is to mock, distort the word, and decieve.
Your thoughts and suggestions would be most welcome.

blessings

crystal dawn

Aeon418

Hi Crystal dawn,

I'm not quite sure if I understand your question. But Hermanubis is most definitely on the Fortune card. Maybe your confusion lays with the word Cynocephalus?

Cynocephalus is the Greek for "dog-headed". As such Hermanubis (A combination of Hermes and Anubis) is a Cynocephalus.

crystal dawn

so cynocephallus is also hermanubis. So the cynocephallus ape (the ape on the magus card) is really another form of hermanubis . Would this be an accurate summation? if so it does answer my question.

Thanks Aeon

blessings

crystal dawn

rcb30872

Hey crystal dawn

I bought the book that you mentioned today, but haven't had the chance to read any of it, as I am in the grips of a spring clean, which usually hits me in August, although officially spring for us in Australia doesn't start until September. Is it useful, the book, I mean?

I also bought the Book of Thoth.

Abrac

One of the purposes of the dog-ape is indeed to confuse and confound the uninitiated. I'm not convinced it is shaking a fist. The whole card seems to illustrate activity and movement. The baboon's raised arm just seems to me to show that it is in motion. Notice also that its arms are also in exactly the same configuration as the Magus's.

ravenest

Nah, I never got 'shaking a fist' from the image, more of a grasping or leaping motion.

Aeon418

Abrac said:
The baboon's raised arm just seems to me to show that it is in motion. Notice also that its arms are also in exactly the same configuration as the Magus's.
He's not called the Ape of Thoth for nothing. He literally does Ape Thoth.

Ape: imitate, uncritically copy, mimic, caricature.

If it doesn't say THOTH(R) on the label, it ain't the real thing. :laugh:

Abrac

Aeon418 said:
He's not called the Ape of Thoth for nothing. He literally does Ape Thoth.

Ape: imitate, uncritically copy, mimic, caricature.

If it doesn't say THOTH(R) on the label, it ain't the real thing. :laugh:

:laugh:

Yes, it appears to be attempting to "ape" the Magus but is having a hard time of it.

crystal dawn

rcb30872 said:
Hey crystal dawn

I bought the book that you mentioned today, but haven't had the chance to read any of it, as I am in the grips of a spring clean, which usually hits me in August, although officially spring for us in Australia doesn't start until September. Is it useful, the book, I mean?

I also bought the Book of Thoth.

I found snuffins book most informative. I read the book of Thoth first and am currently reading snuffins book which seems to fill in the blanks. I am sure you will enjoy reading both books, I found both of them most illuminating.

blessings

crystal dawn

crystal dawn

ravenest said:
Nah, I never got 'shaking a fist' from the image, more of a grasping or leaping motion.

Hi ravenest, we all have our own way of interpreting the cards and different people see different things in different cards - every man and woman is a star. In the thoth companion it mentions that the ape is making a fist which corresponds to kaph and trumph 10 fortune. But apart from that the first impression I got when i first saw this card many years ago was of the ape trying to achieve the dizzy heights of the magician and failing and giving up and shaking his fist in fustration. The meaning I got from this is that you can either be the magician (with effort) or be the ape (and give up). Just my initial impression thats all.

Blessings

crystal dawn