Reference book about mythology?

Hedera

I am looking for a good, basic reference book on world mythology. Just to be able to look up some of the people, monsters and gods that tend to turn up as I make my way trough various Tarot decks.
Preferably, I would like something that covers world mythology, but just 'western' would be good, too.
I did a search on Amazon, but couldn't find anything I felt enthousiastic about.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It doesn't need to be illustrated, just something with concise information. I would really like something thick and heavy, lots of text and a good index, not one of those glossy coffee-table books.

Hope you can give me some titles!

cricket

Eek! I used to have two or three of them around here somewhere, but I can't find them now, and can't remember titles. :| IF I can find them I'll get back to you.

wolfen045

A good basic mythology reference book

if Want an easy to use illustrated reference on the subject, try the DK illustrated Dictionary of Mythology. It has sections on myths from Western Asia, Ancient Egypt, INdia, China and Japan, THe Classical World, Northern and Eastern Europe, The Americas , Africa and Australia. The later 2 sections are shorter than the rest but are good starting points.There is also a companion book, The DK illustrated Dictionary of Religions with sections on Buddist and Hindu Myths/ God and Goddesses. These 2 books should get you stated! Blessings, wolfen

wolfen045

another suggestion

You could also try Barbara Walkers The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets. It is written with a strong feminist view point, but has a very extensive Bibliography. Blessings, wolfen Ps I hope i was of some help to you