The Star as an obstacle?

kika_meow

Sorry for bringing this back into discussion after so many years! It hAppended that I did a reading for my whole 2017 year and I pulled this card in the "Obstacles I will face" and for me it was more like "I won't have any big obstacle because the Star is at my side" which I can relate with the interpretation that LeFou made 7 years ago:

You might then have an "a-ha" moment, where you can breathe and relax, because Star brings enlightenment, clarity, focus, perspective. "A-ha, so -that's- why it's been such a struggle, okay! I'm going to try doing the opposite, and see if that works better!" And it probably will. Because Star is a guide.

P.S. If nothing else, go outside at night and look at the Stars.

What do y'all think about this? Am I being too naive or optimistic?

euripides

Sorry for bringing this back into discussion after so many years! It hAppended that I did a reading for my whole 2017 year and I pulled this card in the "Obstacles I will face" and for me it was more like "I won't have any big obstacle because the Star is at my side" which I can relate with the interpretation that LeFou made 7 years ago:

What do y'all think about this? Am I being too naive or optimistic?

Glad you did, there's some interesting points in this thread. I've been looking at the Star a bi of late. I'd probably suggest that context is important and you do need to think about the assigned position. So to me I'd be looking at how to read this card *as* an obstacle rather than it saying there won't be any.

The star can be a bit impractical and I wonder if it's that you might easily be a bit starry-eyed and not really deal with the realities in achieving your goals.

well now I'm ferreting through a bunch of pages on Greek mythology and nymphs ...

euripides

something that might be of interest. I suspect (I may well be totally on the wrong track, but from the depiction on the card, this is my interpretation) that the Star is not a water-nymph, but a cloud-nymph, a Nephele:

"THE NEPHELAI (Nephelae) were the Okeanid-nymphs of clouds and rain. They arose from the earth-encircling river Okeanos (Oceanus) bearing water in cloudy pitchers. Nephelai fed the streams of their River-God brothers with rain and nourished the earth.

They were depicted as beautiful, young women pouring water from pitchers"

Which is significant because of the grief these beautiful creatures could unleash:

Aristophanes, Clouds 1115 ff :
We wish to speak about the judges, what they will gain, if at all they justly assist this Chorus.

"Leader of the Chorus [of Nephelai] : In spring, when you wish to give your fields the first dressing, we will rain upon you first; the others shall wait. Then we will watch over your corn and over your vinestocks; they will have no excess to fear, neither of heat nor of wet. But if a mortal dares to insult the goddesses Nephelai (Clouds), let him think of the ills we shall pour upon him. For him neither wine nor any harvest at all! Our terrible slings will mow down his young olive plants and his vines. If he is making bricks, it will rain, and our round hailstones will break the tiles of his roof. If he himself marries or any of his relations or friends, we shall cause rain to fall the whole night long."

Source: http://www.theoi.com/Nymphe/Nephelai.html

So it sounds basically like a serious Greek form of Karma.

Nemia

I didn't think about a nymph but if this is a mythological figure, my money is on Astraea, and the stars are Pleiades. Wouldn't nymphs "compete" with the concept of nymphs? Only rarely nymphs appear alone - if they do, like Echo or Daphne, they have a name (and it's mostly Dryads IIRC).

To the question. I'd look at the shadow sides of Aquarius - who cares about social justice but doesn't see a needing friend, who can be emotionally cold, whose Utopia can be more important for him/her than the immediate surroundings, who can even be a technocrat.

To see what a star sign is lacking, it's always interesting to look at its opposite sign - in this case, Leo. Warmth, charisma, leadership, strong family sense - that's lacking. And what do they have in common? Fire and Air, both are active, and both belong to the fix cross - so they're settled in their ways.

So where human warmth is lacking and the person is fixed in his/her ways, problems and obstacles pop up.

In spite of these obstacles, the Star has so many positive qualities that it's possible to draw upon them to overcome the obstacles it causes.

headincloud

The star rep a healthy ego, healthy sexuality and positive self esteem any of which may be blocked in some way or be difficult to attain.

kika_meow

So to me I'd be looking at how to read this card *as* an obstacle rather than it saying there won't be any. The star can be a bit impractical and I wonder if it's that you might easily be a bit starry-eyed and not really deal with the realities in achieving your goals...

You're right, I sometimes forget about this when reading spreads with pre-set positions, the Star gives a lot of luminosity to a reading, but if it means an obstacle, then I gotta find what's blocking it's energy. Thank you for sharing abut the Nymphs, it was very interesting :)

kika_meow

To see what a star sign is lacking, it's always interesting to look at its opposite sign - in this case, Leo. Warmth, charisma, leadership, strong family sense - that's lacking. And what do they have in common? Fire and Air, both are active, and both belong to the fix cross - so they're settled in their ways.

So where human warmth is lacking and the person is fixed in his/her ways, problems and obstacles pop up.

Well it makes total sense to me because I am Saggitarious (Fire) with ascendent Gemini (Air) and in the "How I will overcome this obstacles" I got the Strenght, which zodiacal co-relation is Leo. So yeah, I might be missing leadership, warmth and charisma this year, as well as:

The star rep a healthy ego, healthy sexuality and positive self esteem any of which may be blocked in some way or be difficult to attain.

Thank you all!