Celtic Cross: Position 5 Devil and Position 10 10P

FreeMoon

Hi was just wanting to get some thoughts on this card combination.

So using Rider Waite Tarot doing a Celtic Cross spread I got the Devil in position 5 (best outcome) and 10 Pentacles in position 10(final outcome).

I have mulled over it for a while and believe a potential interpretation could be:

It is a relationship based question. The Devil sends a key message (major acrana) that you hold a lot of fear and hurt from a past relationship which appeas to be unhealthy or destructive. Even though you are aware of this fear and restrictions you currently feel you are afraid to change or need to learn self love and understand you value to move on from this experience. The 10P suggests if you can learn the major lesson from the Devil card you can free yourself from the destructive patterns of the past and experience a successful and happy relationship?

Both cards are upright.

Would love to hear other thoughts/ interpretations as this one has me stumpe.

Barleywine

Would you care to say what the card in position #6 is? In Tarot Beyond the Basics, Anthony Louis suggests reading Card #5, Card # 6 and Card #10 as a three-card set to see the progression from the "Present" (Card #5) into the "Near Future" (Card #6) and on to the "Outcome" (Card #10). I sometimes see Card #5 as setting the stage for the rest of the action in this particular model. This looks like a good opportunity to practice his approach.

FreeMoon

Hi Barleywine

Thanks for helping outt :). So position 5 is The Hermit upright.

I can definitely relate to the Hermit Card as it is archetype I am embodying at the moment (self reflectio n, getting to know myself, reflection etc) and while it sits in the immediate future card I believe that to be because I think I will remain in this stage for a little bit longer.

So if the Hermit is setting the stage for the 5 & 10 position could an interpretation be that the lessons in the Hermit will bring to light the path to overcome the negative Devil to achieve the success of the 10P or is just a bad outcome? Lol.

FreeMoon

Sorry I meant to say position 6 is the Hermit not 5.

Eddie

It is the Near future and outcome that is likely to give you a borader diffination of what could happen. taking special attention to any majors and the ultimate influence they will carry.

So the Hermit here would be inhibiting any potential the 10 would or could have. With the Devil card in the mix, this would intensify the effects. I would go a step further and say that it could make the potential of what ever the 10 stands for, for this relationship, almost impossible to achieve without some earth moving shake up for the person or people involved. I always see a negative, repeated pattern with the devil, which is almost impossible to stop.

What all this means would depend on the original question and not forgetting the rest of the spread, for it is never a good idea to single cards out of a CC.

It is such a complex spread that it has to be read by reading as a whole and reading the delicate links that will accur amaongst the cards.

Eddie

Barleywine

In the numerical sequence, Position #5 (Devil) sets the stage for Position #6 (Hermit), which culminates in Position #10 (10 of Pentacles). These are all Earth cards, with the Hermit transforming the abundant raw energy of the Devil through internal refinement into a form that can be effectively expressed in practical, mundane terms with the 10 of Pentacles. The word that comes to mind with the Hermit and its Virgo correspondence is "winnowing," or "separating the wheat from the chaff" and internalizing only what contributes to pragmatic wisdom in furthering the situation. The key here is the Hermit; think of it as "filtering" or "purifying" the less savory aspects of the Devil so it can be harnessed to a useful objective. Sober contemplation, treading carefully rather than actively grappling with the slippery Devil energy, seems to be the best approach. In your interpretation, it would be about "processing" the hurt rather than trying to swallow it whole.

FreeMoon

It is the Near future and outcome that is likely to give you a borader diffination of what could happen. taking special attention to any majors and the ultimate influence they will carry.

So the Hermit here would be inhibiting any potential the 10 would or could have. With the Devil card in the mix, this would intensify the effects. I would go a step further and say that it could make the potential of what ever the 10 stands for, for this relationship, almost impossible to achieve without some earth moving shake up for the person or people involved. I always see a negative, repeated pattern with the devil, which is almost impossible to stop.

What all this means would depend on the original question and not forgetting the rest of the spread, for it is never a good idea to single cards out of a CC.

It is such a complex spread that it has to be read by reading as a whole and reading the delicate links that will accur amaongst the cards.

Eddie

Hi Eddie thanks for your insight on this. There is really no preexisting connection between myself and this person. He has been perstitent to catch up for a couple months and I have been putting it off due to not being ready for anything really while still being in a state of grieving from my previous relationship. I have agreed as a step to move forward but at the same time was curious to see if there was any protential for this to grow into something more down the track.

Reflecting on your comments the tower reversed is in the external influences position. Maybe the Devil in the best out come is literally saying the best outcome for me is to learn the lessons of the Devil to move through the catastrophic change that occurred when the tower first fell in order to move through this period.

Much thanks Eddie

FreeMoon

In the numerical sequence, Position #5 (Devil) sets the stage for Position #6 (Hermit), which culminates in Position #10 (10 of Pentacles). These are all Earth cards, with the Hermit transforming the abundant raw energy of the Devil through internal refinement into a form that can be effectively expressed in practical, mundane terms with the 10 of Pentacles. The word that comes to mind with the Hermit and its Virgo correspondence is "winnowing," or "separating the wheat from the chaff" and internalizing only what contributes to pragmatic wisdom in furthering the situation. The key here is the Hermit; think of it as "filtering" or "purifying" the less savory aspects of the Devil so it can be harnessed to a useful objective. Sober contemplation, treading carefully rather than actively grappling with the slippery Devil energy, seems to be the best approach. In your interpretation, it would be about "processing" the hurt rather than trying to swallow it whole.

Hi Barleywine - mmmhh this has definitely given me some food for thought and I think ties into what I have replied to Eddie with. The tower reversed in external influences is catastrophic changes that I cannot control and as its reversed the best outcome would be to learn the lessons from the Devil. The Hermit which you have so brilliantly explained is about filtering the good from the bad and to be cautious in such a vulnerable state. And your hit the nail when you pointed out the need to process the hurt rather than just suck it up.

Thank you for these insights!!

Eddie

Reflecting on your comments the tower reversed is in the external influences position. Maybe the Devil in the best out come is literally saying the best outcome for me is to learn the lessons of the Devil to move through the catastrophic change that occurred when the tower first fell in order to move through this period.

Much thanks Eddie

With the extra info, I'd say you are spot on!

Understanding what happened and why, in the breakup of any relationship, is a positive way of moving forward. Only then would you be in the right head and heart space to be in another committed relationship.
The Hermit and the 10 pentacles.

Good luck
;)
Eddie

FreeMoon

With the extra info, I'd say you are spot on!

Understanding what happened and why, in the breakup of any relationship, is a positive way of moving forward. Only then would you be in the right head and heart space to be in another committed relationship.
The Hermit and the 10 pentacles.

Good luck
;)
Eddie
[emoji1] [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk