7/Swords and 5/Swords in Relationship Reading

Pique Dame

I was doing a relationship reading with my new Thelema deck and it made a lot of sense until I got to the final 2 cards: 7 of Swords as Advice and 5 of Sword as Outcome if Followed. I'm not always sure what to think when the 7 of Swords pops up as advice, but the 5 of Swords as the outcome if followed--and in a relationship reading of all things--presents an extra challenge. I can't ignore the symbolism of the thief in the 7 making off with 5 swords while leaving 2 behind, so I definitely believe it's saying to leave something behind, perhaps negative thinking or communication that would serve no purpose. 5 of Swords has never been all that negative of a card for me. It's actually very similar to the 6 of Wands, but less to do with ego and public recognition. It's a card of victory, getting the job done, and accomplishing what you've set out to do. At first glance, these 2 cards appeared to be saying to either leave the relationship or get a little side action and the result would be "I got mine!" but that doesn't seem to be very constructive advice. My current interpretation is to leave behind negative thought patters or self-defeating attitudes and come away feeling satisfied and in control of my own circumstances. Don't focus so much on what you think "should" be but on what actually is. Leave behind those 2 swords that aren't serving you and just keep those 5 that are.
Anyone else have any additional insights into this foreboding little duo?

Grizabella

I think you're very perceptive in reading the 7 of Swords as saying, "leave something behind." The 5 of Swords can actually be saying the same thing. We often forget that there are two people walking away in the background on the 5 of Swords. The victorious guy may have three swords, but there are two people and two swords left so they could dash back and try to each get one of the swords and continue the battle but they seem to have decided to just walk away. I think this could mean choosing your battles. You can either fight till your dying breath against all odds or just turn and walk away from the situation even if you think you're right and that you might still be able to win the battle.

Flames

7 of swords (advice) - Gather all the information you need to make an informed decision. It might be saying, "Think 'two' steps ahead," in order to protect and not deceive yourself.

5 of swords (outcome) - Based on the information, you may decide to walk away. On the one hand, you become the victor (because you don't waste your time anymore) and on the other hand, you feel like you've lost something (because you invested your time and energy). But, you'll see you made the right decision to walk away given what you've been able to gauge and gather about this relationship over time.

#5 & #7 pose some challenges but, to me, they allow for critical and objective thinking. When you get to #8 & #9, I associate them with 'over thinking' or 'negative thinking and patterns'. Maybe you're questioning because somewhere deep down inside, you don't feel the relationship is the kind you really want or need. Maybe, you've received clues and signs along the way that reinforce the feeling the dynamic between the two of you is not going to change and you had been hoping it would over time? Or, you're wondering whether it would be in your best interest to accept what is and stay in the relationship anyway...

What would it mean for you to keep the five swords and leave the two behind? Would you see it as a compromise of sorts or are you trying to convince yourself you'd be okay with just the five and not all 7? And, what do these swords actually represent in your life? These are just some questions that popped into my head. You don't need to answer. I'm just brainstorming with you... :)

Pique Dame

I think you're very perceptive in reading the 7 of Swords as saying, "leave something behind." The 5 of Swords can actually be saying the same thing. We often forget that there are two people walking away in the background on the 5 of Swords. The victorious guy may have three swords, but there are two people and two swords left so they could dash back and try to each get one of the swords and continue the battle but they seem to have decided to just walk away. I think this could mean choosing your battles. You can either fight till your dying breath against all odds or just turn and walk away from the situation even if you think you're right and that you might still be able to win the battle.
Thank you for your input, Griz. Choosing your battles could be a good way of looking at it. We haven't had a fight or anything. All is well but I find myself questioning a few things and wondering how serious I really am or whether or not I see this being a long term thing. I'm thinking the 7 of Swords here might be saying "Get out of your own way!" The card for my feelings about the relationship was 10 of Cups Rx, so the upright 10/C energy is there but blocked, like something that falls just shy of perfection. It could be I'm blocking that energy by wondering what else is out there, even though what I'm looking for may not even exist, so as soon as I stop thinking like that or comparing it to what I had in the past, the sooner I'll emerge as the victorious 5 of Swords. "Choose your battles" could apply here as deciding what's really important to me.

Pique Dame

7 of swords (advice) - Gather all the information you need to make an informed decision. It might be saying, "Think 'two' steps ahead," in order to protect and not deceive yourself.

5 of swords (outcome) - Based on the information, you may decide to walk away. On the one hand, you become the victor (because you don't waste your time anymore) and on the other hand, you feel like you've lost something (because you invested your time and energy). But, you'll see you made the right decision to walk away given what you've been able to gauge and gather about this relationship over time.
I worried that it might be advising me to walk away, which I definitely don't want to do. I don't feel I'm wasting my time, I just wonder at what point being happy with what you have becomes settling for less than what you want. Maybe what you want isn't what you need, or it doesn't even exist in the first place.

#5 & #7 pose some challenges but, to me, they allow for critical and objective thinking. When you get to #8 & #9, I associate them with 'over thinking' or 'negative thinking and patterns'. Maybe you're questioning because somewhere deep down inside, you don't feel the relationship is the kind you really want or need. Maybe, you've received clues and signs along the way that reinforce the feeling the dynamic between the two of you is not going to change and you had been hoping it would over time? Or, you're wondering whether it would be in your best interest to accept what is and stay in the relationship anyway...

What would it mean for you to keep the five swords and leave the two behind? Would you see it as a compromise of sorts or are you trying to convince yourself you'd be okay with just the five and not all 7? And, what do these swords actually represent in your life? These are just some questions that popped into my head. You don't need to answer. I'm just brainstorming with you... :)
Those are actually very good questions, Flames. The swords, to me (at least insofar as I'm interpreting these cards in this reading), represent boxes to be checked, like a list of criteria you look for in a partner. I liken it to house hunting: you'll never find anything that checks all your boxes, so you need decide what's most important to you. With the suit of swords, less is definitely more. Better to leave those 2 behind and return to the 5 than to keep gathering and amassing until you get all 10 and find you've defeated yourself at your own game.

headincloud

7/Swords and 5/Swords

7 swords suggests a situation of conflict coming to a head and the 5 is an argument at best or a split at worst.

Pique Dame

7 swords suggests a situation of conflict coming to a head and the 5 is an argument at best or a split at worst.

Swords do often represent conflict, but I drew them here as advice and outcome, respectively. It would seem unlikely that the cards would advise me to create a conflict or cause an argument, IMO.