Tarocco Siciliano

Ross G Caldwell

philebus said:
Mark Filipas mentions on the linked page that Modiano closed in 1988. Can anyone confirm that? I would hate to think that when the existing stocks are gone, then the cards are gone also. It is always sad when a little of the world's diversity is lost.

According to their website -
http://www.modiano.it/it/storia.php

"The (cardproduction) activity went from generation to generation until 1987, when Modiano was bought by Grafad, a "cartotecnical" industry already present in the market."

As far as I know, Modiano still makes cards under its own name, even if the business is no longer in the family nor independent (private?). Grafad would certainly not want to lose the prestige of that name. Modiano was awarding the "Modiano Prize" for things like playing card research at least until 2000, when John McLeod won it. So the name has some autonomy.

A similar situation exists with Carta Mundi, who owns the name of AG Müller, and France Cartes, who owns among others Dusserre.

Ross

philebus

Thanks for putting me at ease. I've heard of a few of the bigger companies ownerships but this one is news to me. I won't worry about stockpiling the cards just yet then.

nightmaregollum

What about the game ?

Hello,

I am new on your forum, but I find it very instructive.
I got, several years ago, a sicilian tarot deck and I was very glad to have it. The problem is that I would like to know which games are playable with this deck. I have the same question about piemontese tarot deck.

Could some one give me explanations or a site where to go to get the informations ?

Best regards,

Nightmare Gollum

Ross G Caldwell

Hi NG,

I don't know of any webpages with the rules of various Tarocco Siciliano games, but check out the rules pages of pagat.com for other kinds of Italian tarot games.
http://www.pagat.com/class/itarot.html

The rules for Sicilian Tarocchi are available in at least three printed sources, by Michael Dummett or Dummett and McLeod. Unfortunately they are very expensive or in Italian.

Ross

philebus

I can help you out with the rules. My site is still very much a work in progress but the rules to all the games I have are now available for on-line browsing or download:

[link removed by moderator]

You may want to read up on the terms and conventions chapter first.

If you want to get new cards, I've now got links to stores selling them both in Europe and now in the States.

nightmaregollum

Italian Tarot Games rules

Thank you very much for all your replies.

I found on the site of Philebus all the things I needed.

Best regards,

nightmaregollum