The Essence of Magic - Mary K. Greer

Ambrosia

Hello all...

I work with essential oils and have come across this book on my interweb travels. It sounds most interesting.
I can't seem to find it in NZ easily (Amazon being the main source) and I can't find much information about the contents of the book, knowing only that it goes into using essences in combination with tarot. Hopefully Mary will chime in here...

Does anyone own it? Is it OOP?

I'd love to hear your thoughts...what kind of things does it cover? How are the oils being utilised? In what ways?

I use essential oils in conjunction with certain tarot meditations/rituals to enhance an archetype or a plan of action, or to kickstart an idea - peppermint's a great one for that! Rose for The Lovers & Two of Cups, Lemon for meditating on motivation & the Eight of Pentacles, the list goes on...

Would you recommend this book to someone who uses both essential oils and tarot almost daily, but not necessarily always together? I'm fascinated by the idea of combining them, and interested in different ways of doing that. The combination of smell and sight can be a powerful memory trigger.

I look forward to your thoughts...

ETA - I'd love an ebook version but it doesn't seem to exist.

AJ

the author is an active member here, she will probably be along in a bit with some thoughts.

Lutestring

i have this book, and i think you would find it really helpful. it gives a lot of detail about the different oils and their correspondences, listing several oils for each major arcana tarot card, and an oil for each of the minors. there are chapters on using the oils in meditations, rituals, and for affirmations, and lots more.

i think it's oop. found my copy secondhand from abebooks.com, at a reasonable price a few years ago. probably a cheaper option than amazon, though with the aussie dollar and nz dollar so low, anything from the US is expensive these days.

Ambrosia

the author is an active member here, she will probably be along in a bit with some thoughts.

Thanks AJ, yup I know, hence my saying hopefully she will chime in...

i have this book, and i think you would find it really helpful. it gives a lot of detail about the different oils and their correspondences, listing several oils for each major arcana tarot card, and an oil for each of the minors. there are chapters on using the oils in meditations, rituals, and for affirmations, and lots more.

i think it's oop. found my copy secondhand from abebooks.com, at a reasonable price a few years ago. probably a cheaper option than amazon, though with the aussie dollar and nz dollar so low, anything from the US is expensive these days.

Yes that does sound awesome! What a shame it's OOP, the ones I found on Amazon are gonna cost far more to ship than the actual book...such a pain being in NZ with ludicrous shipping costs...I sooo want it even more now!

The Happy Squirrel

Thanks AJ, yup I know, hence my saying hopefully she will chime in...

Yes that does sound awesome! What a shame it's OOP, the ones I found on Amazon are gonna cost far more to ship than the actual book...such a pain being in NZ with ludicrous shipping costs...I sooo want it even more now!

You can say that again..... An old second hand book which costs about $7 cost me $25 to ship..... But there is no other way....!

Ambrosia

You can say that again..... An old second hand book which costs about $7 cost me $25 to ship..... But there is no other way....!

Yup it sucks alright! I REALLY want this book but I just can't fork out that cost for shipping right now unfortunately.
Ah well, if it's meant to be I'm sure it'll wing its way to me sometime, somehow...

Lutestring

did you look at abebooks.com? there are some there, shipping to aust or nz is US$6.49 for the cheapest. i always look there if what i want isn't available cheaper at book depository or elsewhere. i never use amazon as it is usually more expensive for those of us in the antipodes..

Ambrosia

did you look at abebooks.com? there are some there, shipping to aust or nz is US$6.49 for the cheapest. i always look there if what i want isn't available cheaper at book depository or elsewhere. i never use amazon as it is usually more expensive for those of us in the antipodes..

Thank you, no I haven't checked there as I've never dealt with them before but I'll go have a look now. :)

The Happy Squirrel

Thank you, no I haven't checked there as I've never dealt with them before but I'll go have a look now. :)

Ambrosia, this is related but may be a bit off topic for this thread specifically. But I got this from someone while discussing the "Australian Wildflower" oracle deck (based on what someone called the 'doctrine of signatures' and the art of flower reading):

http://ausflowers.com.au/

Australian bush flower essences.

I shall refer you to our thread in the oracle section for further chats on it :)

Ambrosia

Ambrosia, this is related but may be a bit off topic for this thread specifically. But I got this from someone while discussing the "Australian Wildflower" oracle deck (based on what someone called the 'doctrine of signatures' and the art of flower reading):

http://ausflowers.com.au/

Australian bush flower essences.

I shall refer you to our thread in the oracle section for further chats on it :)

Hiya :)

Thanks for the link, I've used some NZ native flower essences myself, and some Bach flower essences but this book is dealing with Essential Oils, not flower essences. I manage an essential oil dispensary and have worked with essential oils and aromatherapy for 20 years so this is what has drawn me to the book. It's all about aroma for me.
Still, plant and herbal healing is so fascinating isn't it?