Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 293 : March 11 - March 17

lantana

Gonna be using the Idiosyncradeck Tarot and the Amethyst Oracle this week! So excited :D

Thanks VG!

AJ

Da Vinci Enigma Tarot thanks VG

Dogs&Coffee

I've really dropped the ball on DOTW... I'd like to get it going again though, but I don't know what deck.. maybe Lumina or Animal Totem?

VGimlet

That's the nice thing about DOTW group - you can come and go. :D

I think we've all had weeks where we have a plan, and it all goes out the window for one reason or another.

DaughterOfDanu

I'm going to spend more time with the Starchild Tarot this week. I'm really liking it, although it's challenging.

I'm going to float around when it comes to my oracle choice. I really would love a good cosmic/space themed oracle to pair with the Starchild. Any recommendations?

lantana

I'm going to spend more time with the Starchild Tarot this week. I'm really liking it, although it's challenging.

I'm going to float around when it comes to my oracle choice. I really would love a good cosmic/space themed oracle to pair with the Starchild. Any recommendations?

Perhaps the Arcana of Astrology? Their look isn't quite the same, but has a similar feel to me.

Rose Lalonde

Finally had time to post about the Hierophant in Tabula Mundi dailies. Drew the 10 of Cups next... Hopefully I'll post before the weekend, but I don't stress about how un-daily my 'daily draws' are. :cool2:

DaughterOfDanu

Perhaps the Arcana of Astrology? Their look isn't quite the same, but has a similar feel to me.

They look very nice but I'm unsure if I'd get much out of them as I'm not very knowledgeable about astrology. Adding it to my wishlist though :) Thank you!

Carojulie

Hello !

I am going to chat a little about my deck of the week, the Cheimonette tarot.

It is a relatively new deck for me ; I discovered it when watching a video on Youtube (Stand-out decks of 2016 by Avalon Spiritual Odissey)
Before watching this video I was absolutely not aware of this deck, and I actually wonder why I have not heard more about it, because it is (IMO) a true little jewel.

The art caught my attention first (beautiful play with colors and beautiful line of drawing)

It is a deck of contrasts :
- soft colors mix with vibrant colors
- very defined thin lines mix with vague patches of colors that spread on the image in a watery way
- round shapes, circles, bubbles cohabit with sharp shapes, pointy lines
- undefined pale mists reveal very precise black silhouettes
- white patches mix with dark patches and share the positive and negative space on the images....

The characters represented evoque an elfique crowd to me, but the setting here is mi watery mi cosmic ; contrary to many decks which put to scene elfes and fairies in a very green setting like woods or trees.
Here there is an element of otherworld, and sometimes it is difficult to know if the scene is drawn hanging in the air, or underwater.

The overall impression I get from this deck is very linked to the element of water. And, it is one of the trait that decided me to buy the deck. I like to have decks that represent the four elements, and I find that I have more "earth" decks in my collection that any of the other three elements. And I find that most of the time my "water" decks are linked to the ocean in a way or another (Mermaid deck, Nautical deck....) wich is great - but I am happy to have a water deck that is linked to water just from the overall impression given by the art. Here, the fact that the artist used a lot of watercolors, emphasizes this link to the water element, for me. And also the fact that blues dominate the whole deck.

But, the other elements (mostly Air and Fire) are also present in this deck, especially through the suits. The staves (wands) are fiery, and fire shades applied with watercolors can really give a surprising result ! And Air is very present too, not only in the very airy suit of swords, but also in the way the characters seem to fly.
Some images give me the impression that the water and the air around the scene are so present that you could "touch" them if you tried. It is a very sensual deck !

I am not so fond of the court crowd. The images are beautiful, but the way the court are represented do not give me enough to sink my teeth in. I would love more symbols to help me in my interpretations. The courst here are done in simple portraits, much in the same manner of the court from the Hezicos tarot, though the style of art is very different of course.

But the true downside to this deck (and a big one unfortunately) is the poor quality of the cardstock.
I am very tactile, and the pleasure I get from handling a deck is as important to me that the visual pleasure I get from the art.
Here, the cardstock is mediocre to say the least. It is a very small deck (same sort of size than the pocket editions in tins that we can find for several classic decks), and even in this small size, the cardstock feels very flimsy. And the edges are already starting to fray (to remedy that problem, I made a padded pouch for this deck - with cotton padding between the outside fabric and the lining, for added protection. I also plan to edge the deck to cover the wear , but I have to find a color that suits the mood of the deck)

Really, such beautiful art would deserve better cardstock.... This deck was a little expensive with shipping, and I do not know what price difference a good cardstock would have made, but I kind of guess that it would have been worth it.

For the last two weeks I have decided to not do traditionnal daily draws, but to explore this deck with the Kaizen technique (from a book by Alison Cross)
I am not a serious student and I do not do the exercises daily (far from it !) because I do not have much time. I
But so far it is giving me much pleasure !

Thank you for reading my long weekly deck chat :) :) :) and no sweat if you skipped my post, I understand :) :) :)

This Starchild deck arises my attention all the time ! I keep sneaking looks at it through Google...
It is on my wishlist, though I fear it would "double" with my beloved Fountain tarot because I suspect hat it has the same sort of airy energy.... The Starchild is not cheap, and I do not want to buy it just to find after that I keep grabbing my Fountain over this one... but nevertheless, the Starchild calls to me and I keep thinking about it. Especially since it is said to have such beautiful cardstock and luxurious finish ! And you say that it is challenging, which of course appeals to me !
I am curious to know if you found an oracle deck to pair it with ?

RiverRunsDeep

I was looking for an oracle to pair with my Starchild deck some time ago, and several forum members were kind enough to post their suggestions. The thread is here.