Drawing cards off top or from a fan

Teranar

lawguy51 said:
Thanks everyone for replying and welcoming me. It seems that the answer is...do what feels right for you.

I think you're going to find that answer for a lot of things. :)

redfairy

no fan

well i used to draw out cards from a fan. but now i find that too cumbersome and dont' do that anymore. Even when i reverse the cards, i just choose them directly from the deck in my hand, rather than fanning out the cards.

lawguy51

it's really weird how my old posts are popping up just when I've come back to life on the forum. I don't know how Redfairy came upon this thread. And here it is 3 years since that post of mine and I still go back and forth between flipping and fanning. I almost always fan when I read for someone else. But some decks don't fan well. My large Thoth deck fans like a piece of art. My new Golden Tarot is like the first edition of my Prague deck, very difficult to fan well. Some spreads require me to draw from the top like Umbrae's 14 card horseshoe where two cards are drawn for each position. I think sometimes, the better a deck riffles, the more likely I am to flip cards as I have more confidence that the deck has been adequately shuffled. I guess I haven't changed much in 3 years :) .

Lawguy51

PlatinumDove

I always take from the top of the deck.

DreamGhost

Both! But, mostly I draw from the top. The cards seem to work either way.

The one problem I'm having with fanning is space. If I want to be able to choose from ALL of the cards, it pretty much has to be on the floor.