Which deck has every little line and squiggle PCS originally drew?

Carla

I currently have:

Original Rider Waite
Giant Rider Waite
Universal Waite
Radiant Rider
Diamond Tarot

I would like your opinion on what deck is out there that would be as close as we know of to PCS's original art work. Nothing added nothing taken away. I can't afford any rare or HTF decks, so please recommend things I can actually get hold of from places like Book Depository, etc.

Does the PCS Commemorative Set fit the bill?

Looking forward to your responses!

bogiesan

I shall assume you have read all of the available histories and prognostications of the printing of the various editions and are familiar with how the original artwork was copied, probably by someone else, onto the first set of lithography plates/stones? Since the original artwork is apparently lost, one can only guess which of the Pam A, B or C runs actually represents the closest-to-PCS.

I am looking forward to contributions to your thread from collectors, experts and fans. Thanks for the post.

Carla

I shall assume you have read all of the available histories and prognostications of the printing of the various editions and are familiar with how the original artwork was copied, probably by someone else, onto the first set of lithography plates/stones? Since the original artwork is apparently lost, one can only guess which of the Pam A, B or C runs actually represents the closest-to-PCS.

I am looking forward to contributions to your thread from collectors, experts and fans. Thanks for the post.

Let's not assume!

I guess my question is: Which version do you prefer--Pam A, Pam B, or Pam C?
And which of the decks currently available would you consider as representative of Pam A? Which Pam B? and which Pam C?

Thanks!

roppo

My theory of Pam-A production is that Pixie's linework was photographically duplicated and transferred to a metal plate to print a base sheet. Then the sheet was lithographically colored by Spraig & Co. I believe the existence of photo-process in the early stage was well proven by the RWS drawings found in The Occult Review 1909 Dec.issue.

You can safely assert the linework of Pam-B & C was done by a copyist or two copyists. Just look at some PCS monograms on Pam-B&C; they are too deformed to pass for her monogram!

As to the question of "which version relfects PCS's lines best". I recommend PCS Commemorative, or early USG (1971) or Blue Box Rider.

Carla

My theory of Pam-A production is that Pixie's linework was photographically duplicated and transferred to a metal plate to print a base sheet. Then the sheet was lithographically colored by Spraig & Co. I believe the existence of photo-process in the early stage was well proven by the RWS drawings found in The Occult Review 1909 Dec.issue.

You can safely assert the linework of Pam-B & C was done by a copyist or two copyists. Just look at some PCS monograms on Pam-B&C; they are too deformed to pass for her monogram!

As to the question of "which version relfects PCS's lines best". I recommend PCS Commemorative, or early USG (1971) or Blue Box Rider.

Thanks, Roppo. What are your thoughts on the PCS Commemorative coloring? Does it detract from your enjoyment? And what do you think of the USG Rider Tarot Deck (http://www.usgamesinc.com/product.php?productid=664)?

Richard

Carla, if I may butt in, I have the Smith-Waite Centennial version of the Pam A. Of my seven or eight different printings of the Rider-Waite (from the 1970s to the present), this is far and away the most satisfactory for me. I love bright, bold colors, and have a great affinity for the Albano-Waite (which I do not consider a "version" of the Rider-Waite), but for some reason the rather muted tones of the Smith-Waite do not seem drab at all, nor am I conscious of an artificially aged, tea stained look. The whites are just a comfortable creamy shade instead of a glaring snow white.

Would you like to see scans of a few specific cards?

Carla

Carla, if I may butt in, I have the Smith-Waite Centennial version of the Pam A. Of my seven or eight different printings of the Rider-Waite (from the 1970s to the present), this is far and away the most satisfactory for me. I love bright, bold colors, and have a great affinity for the Albano-Waite (which I do not consider a "version" of the Rider-Waite), but for some reason the rather muted tones of the Smith-Waite do not seem drab at all, nor am I conscious of an artificially aged, tea stained look. The whites are just a comfortable creamy shade instead of a glaring snow white.

Would you like to see scans of a few specific cards?

Yes, please. It would be really helpful if you could scan it next to a different RWS. I have just ordered a copy of the Rider Waite Tarot (the classic one with the tartan backs). I didn't actually have a copy of it, and thought it would be useful to have.

Le Fanu

Yes, please. It would be really helpful if you could scan it next to a different RWS. I have just ordered a copy of the Rider Waite Tarot (the classic one with the tartan backs). I didn't actually have a copy of it, and thought it would be useful to have.
I'm curious to know if they have abandoned the computerised typeface that this standard deck has had over the last few years.

Am I right in thinking the US Games commemorative set deck is a Pam A (backs excluded)?

I'm constantly amazed at how there seems to be Pam As and Pam Bs and Pam Cs and Pam Ds and yet when we get talking about reproductions, nobody can seem to agree which ones those in print actually are.

In my opinion :p the British Blue Box RWS is very similar to my Pam B (backs excluded) and the Original RWS is a later Pam C

Richard

Top row: Pre-1985, Printed in Switzerland (My 2nd favorite RWS.)
Bottom row: Smth-Waite Centennial (My current favorite: the drab, artificially aged and tea-stained, depressing version. ;))

Attachments

• comp1.jpg
    comp1.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 334
  • comp2.jpg
    comp2.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 299

roppo

Thanks, Roppo. What are your thoughts on the PCS Commemorative coloring? Does it detract from your enjoyment? And what do you think of the USG Rider Tarot Deck (http://www.usgamesinc.com/product.php?productid=664)?

I think the muted coloring of PCS Commemorative is good, not from the aesthetic viewpoint, but from the historical one. The current USG RWS is too glossy.

I don't think PCS Commemorative deck is artificially stained. Rather it's a faithful reproduction of the 1909 Roses & Lilies pack (without Roses & Lilies back!) The very first RWS was the R&L packs of 1909, but they were practically cancelled decks due to the inadequate quality of cardstock and dull coloring. William Rider printed the second series in April 1910, and proposed a replacement of a pack to the customers who had purchased R&L ones. This is the reason the R&L packs are so rare now.