The Book of the Law Study Group 2.18

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
And if our sense of trouble is an illusion; then our sense of well being is an illusion: and round and round I go. :laugh:
Atu X:
Follow thy Fortune, careless where it lead thee.
The axle moveth not: attain thou that.

thorhammer

Sorry to come so late to the party here - I'm catching up. This discussion is incredible, and I do wish I'd been here. Thanks to Aeon for your valuable information on the letters and values and the references.
Curtis Penfold said:
What is the cause of change within an individual from one state to the next? You've kind of explained it, saying it's the spirit meeting the self. Does that mean the self is part of the elements?
Just to add my spice to the mix - the change is caused by us, by our concerted efforts to transcend the earth (elementally) bound existence of illusion that Aeon mentions, and re-identify with the spirit (Khabs) which is *wearing* us, like a Kat-suit (oh, I see what u did thar :joke:) or a Curtis-suit or whatever (that is the Khu).

When we work through whatever spiritually transformative exercises or tradition we adhere to, and assuming we're barking up the right tree, the result is the dissolution of the ego, which is the spoilt child in the supermarket queue. It's an incredibly resilient force which keeps us from expressing our God-selves, and is very taken up with self-preservation. It's supposed to be a servant, but our lives are lived with it being the master. The point of the magick concerned here is to overthrow that usurper and become spiritual masters of ourselves again.
Aeon418 said:
Who saves the Hanged Man in this Aeon? Does he just need hope or faith in a saviour. A messiah who is going to come along and save him by fishing him out of the waters of illusion. Or does he have to save himself?
Seriously? Is this a rhetorical question? I thought the whole point of the new Aeon and Thelema was that we save ourselves?
Curtis Penfold said:
The creator of the Book of Kaos Deck was talking about Crowley, and he said that Crowley said, "Die everyday."

So die, which denotes change, is actually more about awareness, right? As in, try to be aware of oneself everyday, try to be aware of Spirit everyday, try to be enlightened everyday.
Hmm, I feel a bit differently about this. I interpret it to mean that you are to squash your ego and the (in my case) Kat-self every day, kill it dead with stone and blade :D as much as you can because it's what prevents Godhood. I suppose that you could argue your interpretation and mine aren't all that dissimilar, but I think it's the tone and intent . . . yours is a little more pacific than I think the original statement intended, mine is more martial.
Always Wondering said:
And if our sense of trouble is an illusion; then our sense of well being is an illusion: and round and round I go. :laugh:
But you're working on that being some sort of logic :D and I think that's the wrong way to to about it. In this case, I don't think that hardship/trouble and wellbeing/bliss are polar opposites, where one cannot exist without the other (like dark and light). In fact, I think it's quite the converse - the less of one there is, the more of the other. When we, as the Hanged Man, begin to realise enough to strain upwards to save ourselves, the troubles are perceived in such a way as to be less troublesome, and there is a concurrent increase in the sense of bliss.

Ugh, I'm not expressing myself well. It's time for my LBRP and bed :D

\m/ Kat