finally enjoying the thoth LOL

faunabay

I've had a Thoth deck for literally years.....telling myself I'll study it sometime. Well I would try, then give it up after just a couple of days.

First I tried to "study" it. Trying to apply all the different aspects to each card. Of course it was overwhelming. Then I tried the oppose way - only reading the cards intuitively. Neither worked for me!

Now though I've finally gotten to the point of enjoying it. Or really found the right way to go about it for me! It's just clicking and I'm loving it!

I pull out the books, reading the divinitory meanings, getting the feel of the deck, without looking at all the extra "deep" stuff!! LOL As I get more comfortable with it I'll add in one new concept at a time.

So just wanted to share that I'm finally doing it!!! :p Finally actually using my Thoth! :D

Grigori

Yay :D I'm really glad you found a way that works for you. The Thoth can be intimidating because of the sheer complexity and web of interacting details, but it doesn't need to be. I started with Banzaf's Keywords book and read happily with the deck for sometime with just that and my RWS background. Of course now am addicted to all the details, but that's just me :laugh:

faunabay

Grigori said:
Yay :D I'm really glad you found a way that works for you. The Thoth can be intimidating because of the sheer complexity and web of interacting details, but it doesn't need to be. I started with Banzaf's Keywords book and read happily with the deck for sometime with just that and my RWS background. Of course now am addicted to all the details, but that's just me :laugh:
Yes it's extremely intimidating!! I want to learn the details but got lost very quickly when I tried to learn that way. But then since I like the thought of all those details it wasn't much better to let go of them completely either. :D

One of the books that's helping me immensely - since I'm so steeped in the RWS background - is Tarot as Your Companion by Banzhaf and Hemmerlein. It compares...well doesn't really compare....but gives you the basic differences and/or similarities between the RWS and Thoth meanings. It's really helping me let go of being so stuck in the RWS mentality.

Of course that's not the only book I'm using though. LOL I've also got the Lon Milo Duquette book and The Thoth Companion by Snuffin. These are the three I'm looking at and using right now.

Grigori

I think that is a great combination. Duquette is great to get a handle of the basics of the system, and understand what it is and why it is. Snuffin great for the small details and identifying what things are. And Banzaf is great for a reader, to help get "meanings" under their belt (which is not as strong in Snuffin and almost absent in DuQuette). I've not read the Banzaf book you've got, though I found http://www.amazon.com/Crowley-Tarot-Handbook-Cards/dp/0880797150/ref=pd_sim_b_3 really useful when I was starting, to get beyond the keywords.

faunabay

The Banzaf book I have is absolutely perfect in helping me translate the RWS meanings (which is my foundation so far) to the Thoth. Of course there are some cards where it really is basically the same but with just a small twist. And seeing it all laid out for me, side by side, is really helpful!!

I know this is kind of silly :p but I'm just so happy that I'm finally clicking, and enjoying, the Thoth. When I would try to study it before it was kind of a....... I wanted to do it, but was forcing the issue a bit - almost slogging through. Now I'm flat out getting those aha moments and enjoying myself immensely!! :party:

Kenshin Gordon

Simply don't forget, "the best reader can read with empty cards".