Hi, I'm enchanted and intimidated...

Richard

Craxiette said:
..... would warmly recommend this site: http://www.corax.com/tarot/.....
That's a wonderful site! I always ignored it before, because I'm prejudiced against names like Raven: too much 1980s New Age ambience. Glad to discover I was dead wrong. :)

Carla

I must stop lurking at Thoth sites. I keep getting enabled, and I do feel that I'm an RWS girl, no matter how much I am attracted to other decks...I buy them then don't use them. But still! Some day I may catch the bug! JDev, it's cool that you've discovered the Thoth. I hope you post a lot about your journey of discovery. Maybe I can learn by reading what you learn. :)

Craxiette

LRichard said:
That's a wonderful site! I always ignored it before, because I'm prejudiced against names like Raven: too much 1980s New Age ambience. Glad to discover I was dead wrong. :)

Hey, that goes for me and tarot in general! I guess I was just lucky to stumble over the Thoth right at the beginning and not have my curiosity killed by drowning in a sea of pokemon and gummy bear tarot...=)

Le Fanu

I did the following and it worked for me;

The deck; pored lovingly over it, just looked at it and got swept up in the geometry and composition of each card.

Then I read DuQuette's "Understanding &c" book. Took notes. I thought I might never read Crowley's Book of the Thoth as it sounded so scarey.

Then I read Snuffin's book, which complements DuQuette's perfectly.

Then I thought I could perhaps face Crowley's Book of Thoth if I took it slowly, girded my loins and went for it, thinking I would understand nothing. but - hey! - I found it very enlightening and could mostly follow it, even if there was a lot of info I couldn't take on board. I could follow where it was going and what the arguments were.

You won't need anything more than these three books. Maybe later the Book of Law if you get really advanced.

My advice; get yourself a decent sized notebook and take notes. There is a lot to remember and you'll find your musings and reflections and factual stuff will quickly get overwhelming if you don't write it down. My Crowley notebook is a rambling work in progress. Over Easter I had to get a bigger one and copy everything out and start a new notebook! It was getting very out of hand...

jdev

There seems to be a war of words on amazon between fans of the Duquette book and the Snuffin book. Everyone is saying that Snuffin's book is a regurgitation of info from Duq's book. Then I read in a review that in Snuffin's book that he has defined alchemical symbols incorrectly and the person provided examples. The plus is that I can afford Snuffin's book used before I could afford Duquette's (4 dollars used as opposed to 15 dollars used for D's). I ordered the Book of Thoth. I'm not being egoistic, but I'm a pretty intelligent guy and can research what I may not grasp at first (I kind of regret ordering it now because I found several places online where it is published for free!). I also got the Gerd Ziegler book. I can do without the affirmations, but in the preview I liked the way he listed the information, and it's concise, and was one dollar. :)

Le Fanu

Don't regret buying the Book of Thoth. It's great having your own copy to scribble in and write on and fill with annotations and post-it markers. You should see mine. Sometimes I write notes in my notebook, other times I write it in the book!

Well I have to say, I think the Snuffin book is good. I could swear others do too! I had a distinct sense of the book complementing DuQuette as I was reading it.

jdev

Oh! Dear La Fanu, I am of neither a student of Duq or Snuff! I was merely telling you about the reviews that were on Snuff's book (I always read the horrible reviews first). Actually, I liked what I saw in his book (with the charts and graphs and stuff) but the only thing that put me off was the misinterpreted alchemical symbols. If he got some of those wrong, what else did he get wrong (was what I was thinking). I am going to add you to my buddy list because I think I love you.

jdev

LRichard said:
Don't worry about the purists; just enjoy the deck. Read Mary Greer's Killing the Thoth deck article to get a balanced perspective. http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2008/05/06/books-for-the-thoth-deck/

Will do! And I broke down and got the Snuffin book for four bucks on Amazon. Overall, I like the reviews better. But having said that, Duquette's will be in my collection when I am no longer completely skint (as I read one Aussie or Brit on here is!).