Thoth on ebay 100 euro and counting

Sulis

Well that first one is a Weiser Thoth; the sort without the patterns in the borders. It's an old OOP deck so I think they usually go for high prices as do Greenies. I think a bog standard Thoth that's in print would go for a much lower price.

caridwen

I didn't realise green Thoths were so elusive. I bought mine for a fiver. It was my first Thoth deck - no idea where it is now of course:p

Le Fanu

I didn't realise green Thoths were so elusive. I bought mine for a fiver. It was my first Thoth deck - no idea where it is now of course:p
I don't think they are elusive. There are loads of them around but for some weird reason prices are generally high. At any one time on ebay there's a white box Thoth. Of the vintage Thoths, the greenie seems to be the most common. I don't think it went out of circulation that long ago. I just don't understand why someone would choose substandard colouring.

caridwen

I don't think they are elusive. There are loads of them around but for some weird reason prices are generally high. At any one time on ebay there's a white box Thoth. Of the vintage Thoths, the greenie seems to be the most common. I don't think it went out of circulation that long ago. I just don't understand why someone would choose substandard colouring.

One person's substandard is anothers' awesomeness (at least I hope so or I'll be single forever!!!) :D

I didn't know mine was green until I received it but I only wanted it to study and didn't have anything to compare it with so it was fine with me.

I would like a new Thoth deck but can't afford it. I often look out for one but they are generally quite expensive.

I'm not into old decks anyway. I tend to throw things out that take up space apart from books, always have room for more books:D So old decks are wasted space unless I use them all the time. I would probably reduce a grown tarot collector to tears if they saw the tea stains on my collectables:p

So back to the subject *coughs I don't know either why green Thoths are more expensive but I suppose market dictates the price. I guess normal coloured Thoths are large so that's why they are more expensive. Though I could also do with a mini as mine is pretty knackered:) *holds out hat expectedly:p

Laura Borealis

My greenie was only about $30 US. On eBay. I didn't think they were considered that rare or went for such high prices.

caridwen

My greenie was only about $30 US. On eBay. I didn't think they were considered that rare or went for such high prices.

Was it a new deck? That is approximately £15 or so pounds and I would not pay that for a deck unless it was difficult to get hold off or I was desperate to have it. I certainly would not pay that much for a second hand deck. So $30 for me is expensive:)

Laura Borealis

No, it was a greenie as I said.

Oink

And a greenie is 150 dollars!? I`ll buy it when I`rich...
link to ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aleister-Crowle...925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c69bd595
Looking at that seller's auction history, I don't get the sense that tarot is his or her specialty. Maybe the seller looked at what the highest-priced Thoth decks were listed at and set it at that?

Here's a much more reasonably-priced (for now, anyway) greenie if anyone is looking for one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Thoth-Tarot-Dec...195?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item3cb95abc6b
LeFanu said:
Of the vintage Thoths, the greenie seems to be the most common. I don't think it went out of circulation that long ago. I just don't understand why someone would choose substandard colouring.
I never wanted one because I feel the same as you about the color borders coming at the expense of the coloring on the card images. Then I got a greenie as part of a deck lot from zan_chan and was surprised to find it charming in its own way: because the green does mute out some of the overall color, it has the effect (for me) of bringing the energy level down. When I'm feeling exhausted or run down, I don't generally feel like reading with the Thoth, but the greenie seems less intense. It's my "kinder, gentler" Thoth. :)