a question about the diferent thoth tarot versions

Emily

I know someone who has the white box thoth, the bigger size than the purple box, and the lettering is definitely green...but they want $75. The cards are in great shape, but that price is hard for me to swallow. I didn't know if it was an appropriate price for one of these decks.

I'm not sure what would be an appropriate price either. I was very lucky getting mine. I bought it very cheaply from a used bookshop a few years ago. It was my first Thoth and all I knew was it didn't look as colourful as the online scans showed LOL it wasn't until I checked it out on here that I realised it was a greenie. They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and with a greenie, it's true. Some people just don't like them.

They still come up on eBay. I think it just depends on what you would want to pay. Maybe someone who has bought one from eBay or a private seller will post and be able to advise you better. I don't think the bookseller who sold me mine knew what he was selling, or he wouldn't have let it go so cheaply.

Bhavana

ok, I talked the seller down to $59. The deck is in great shape. It's the bigger cards, 3 x 5ish. Definitely green. White box. They feel good. Has a black card too, with a very satanic looking red symbol.....damn, should I or shouldn't I?????

Maybe I should do a 3 card reading and post it with the others like I see here..."What is he thinking?" "Will he come back to me?" "What color do I paint the bathroom?" "Should I adopt a rottweiler or a chihuahua?"

"Should I pay 59.00 for a thoth greenie, even though I don't have a job and my cat needs a dental?"

Thoth deck, of course, my small version:

Princess of Wands
Princess of Cups
Knight of Disks

Chiska

ok, I talked the seller down to $59. The deck is in great shape. It's the bigger cards, 3 x 5ish. Definitely green. White box. They feel good. Has a black card too, with a very satanic looking red symbol.....damn, should I or shouldn't I?????

Maybe I should do a 3 card reading and post it with the others like I see here..."What is he thinking?" "Will he come back to me?" "What color do I paint the bathroom?" "Should I adopt a rottweiler or a chihuahua?"

"Should I pay 59.00 for a thoth greenie, even though I don't have a job and my cat needs a dental?"

Thoth deck, of course, my small version:

Princess of Wands
Princess of Cups
Knight of Disks

Sigh.

Satanic? Really?? It is a Unicursal Hexagram. Unicursal means it is drawn in one continuous line. Here is a post of links provided by Grigori.

The new US Games Thoths have one that is rainbow colored.

Anyway, I bought my greenie for less than 20$ on eBay - I would shop around a bit maybe.

Freddie

Sigh.

Satanic? Really?? It is a Unicursal Hexagram. Unicursal means it is drawn in one continuous line. Here is a post of links provided by Grigori.

The new US Games Thoths have one that is rainbow colored.

Anyway, I bought my greenie for less than 20$ on eBay - I would shop around a bit maybe.

I don't feel the Unicursal Hexagram is Satanic as there is one above the altar/nave on the ceiling at the Church of England that I attend for Sunday mass. Despite what some think, I have seen alot of the symbolism of the Thoth in various 'Church of England' churches around the UK.

Freddie

Bhavana

I don't feel the Unicursal Hexagram is Satanic as there is one above the altar/nave on the ceiling at the Church of England that I attend for Sunday mass. Despite what some think, I have seen alot of the symbolism of the Thoth in various 'Church of England' churches around the UK.

Freddie

sorry guys, I just laid my eyes on the Thoth tarot for the first time in person a few weeks ago. I am not well versed in religious symbols, not well versed in a lot of symbols actually. I don't know anything about Crowley either, or about the deck - just know I love the art, and am very intrigued about the deck and how it works. I have the small deck, brand new, and want the bigger one for study purposes, so I too can someday sigh when I have to set some idiot straight about unicursal hexigrams. ;)

Emily

ok, I talked the seller down to $59. The deck is in great shape. It's the bigger cards, 3 x 5ish. Definitely green. White box. They feel good

Did you get them?

Bhavana

not yet. If I have to think about something this much, there is usually a reason for it. I guess I don't want them bad enough to spend 60 bucks, you know? Evidentally no one else does either, or they would have sold by now.

Bhavana

ok, I bought them...the price went down to $50 (with shipping) and I decided what the heck. You all will probably laugh at me, but I think this is the most I have paid for any tarot deck. It feels like too much, but the cards are in excellent condition - everything included, the brochures, the INICURSAL HEXAGRAM card, and a fairly pristine white box. Looks like a set someone bought and then popped on a shelf somewhere and never used. Oh and it is very green - not just the borders, but the cards too have a greenish haze to them. I have seen less than pristine greenie cards go for more on ebay and other sites. And besides, I was just getting ready to drop $48 on the AnnaK...and I am much more interested in the Thoth than I am the annak. Can you see how I am trying to make myself feel good about this??? I am not working right now, so spending money can be stressful.
If it comes in the mail short any of the cards I am going to be furious.

gregory

If it is very green and you hate it, I will buy it for what you paid and pay postage.... THIS IS A FIRM OFFER but it has to be VERY green ! (I am trying to get one as green as the greenest ever one I bought WHICH HAS A CARD MISSING :(