Advice on yoga?

Craxiette

Oh dear! :surprise:
Wow, that's what I call an emergency! Her "nugget" was completely out of it for sure, I ain't gonna refute her on that one!

Craxiette

Hello panpiper, what is the point of that article? Yes, this was a very unfortunate accient and I feel very sorry for the scalded woman -it could certainly have been me on a stressful day. Nevertheless, an adult person should know that it is not safe to drink or handle hot beverages from styrofoam cups in a car. Edit: Ok, the car was standing still, but between your knees is still not a place to put a wiggly cup containing hot liquid.
In fact, I'm sure this woman would have known so if she had thought about it at all, she probably didn't, as most of us are not in the habit of thinking about our security -we assume it has been taken care of by someone else and start thinking about other things instead. THIS is the problem imo, not the lack of warning labels. Kids need warning labels, adults should have already developed an automatic "safety-check" mechanism that analyzes every situation we are in, for potential hazards.

Since there is not public wellfare in the US, people are forced to blame others for their accidents as it may be the only way to afford the hospital bill, I think this is the real root of the problem, not that americans are more stupid than europeans! Let me be clear on that!

Craxiette

Back to yoga...

Just a quick update:
I got the posture-harness and started off just using that for a couple of hours per day for approx two weeks. At first my back was sore, but by now it has actually improved my posture by imprinting it in my muscular memory! I highly recommend using this kind of harness.

There was some trouble with the seiza-chair so I haven't got it yet, but I've started practicing the dragon-posture using a big cusion instead. My knees are fine now for some reason, but my feet still hurt.

This is what I do:
I start off with a round of kapalaphati kriya, as I've learnt from Astanga Yoga class
I then remain seated with my feet flat underneath my butt for 10 minutes, and then finish off with 3-5 exteremly painful minutes of toes tucked in.
During the ten minutes, I do alternate nostril breathing with counts of four seconds (4 in, 4 hold, 4 four out, four hold). This rythm suits my lungs perfectly, there is no strain.
During the agonizing 3-5 last minutes, I try maintaining the same 4x4 rythm, but with both nostrills.

I will see how long I'll continue this routine, I'm really hoping I will be able to pursue it so it becomes an automatic habit. Going to yoga class is great for keeping myself reminded of my intent of doing this work and my body feels good from it too.

Thanks again all for your advice!
Btw, I got the Weiser concise guide to Yoga for Magick, it's a great overview to have -and it was cheap too!

Always Wondering

That's great. I have a extra long yoga belt I use for a harness. In Raja Yoga, Vivekananda gave me the imagine of straw which runs through the center of the spine (Sushumna) being bent with incorrect posture. Like liquid, no energy can get through a bent straw to raise to the brain, eventually, in steps.

I am trying to work on my posture all the time, but I had lousy posture. It puts a new meaning to lifting my head. :laugh: I can't wear the belt very long, it presses on already upset nerves or something. But the visual sticks with me and helps.

It often blows my mind that I was causing myself so much trouble with something as simple as lousy breathing and posture.

AW

Craxiette

That's great. I have a extra long yoga belt I use for a harness. In Raja Yoga, Vivekananda gave me the imagine of straw which runs through the center of the spine (Sushumna) being bent with incorrect posture. Like liquid, no energy can get through a bent straw to raise to the brain, eventually, in steps.

I am trying to work on my posture all the time, but I had lousy posture. It puts a new meaning to lifting my head. :laugh: I can't wear the belt very long, it presses on already upset nerves or something. But the visual sticks with me and helps.

It often blows my mind that I was causing myself so much trouble with something as simple as lousy breathing and posture.

AW

I don't know how your belt works, but probably the best thing would be to wear it short strethes of time, even if just 10 minutes, but every day, until your spine and nerves adjust. Yes, I think there is not enough focus on the posture and how important it is. For me, beginning asana or pranayama practice before doing something about my posture was a waste of time and effort. I cant be the only one with this problem!

Craxiette

Question about 'Yoga for Magick'

One thing that puzzles me about something mentioned in the book 'Yoga for Magick' by Nancy Wasserman. On page 36 it says:

"The Sun Saltation becomes especially interesting when combined with Liber Resh vel Helios, a magical solar adoration also included in the "Solar Workings" appendix. One might start the Sun Salutation exercise by saying Liber Resh aloud, and then visualizing the appropriate images throughout the various postures. Combining the Yoga Sun Salutation with Liber Resh will strengthen resolve toward the Great Work. "

What appropriate images is she referring to and how does she propose one incorporates them into the yoga postures? There is no mention of how to do this fusion in the appendix...

Aeon418

What appropriate images is she referring to and how does she propose one incorporates them into the yoga postures? There is no mention of how to do this fusion in the appendix...
There is. It's section 6 of Liber Resh (p.116). When you perform Resh you are supposed to imagine yourself as the appropriate god. So in the morning you would imagine yourself as Ra, with a falcon head etc. It's a way of indentifying with a particular god called the "assumption of god forms."

What Wasserman seems to be suggesting is that it might be a good idea to try to keep imagining yourself as one of the Resh deities while you go through the Sun Salutation routine.

Craxiette

Ahaaa! Lol! Thanks Aeon, I was making it more complicated then it was...I thought she meant a different image for each of the 12 postures in the sun salutation...so only one each time.

I know who Ra, Tahuti, Ra Hoor and Khephra are, but who are Ahatoor and Tum? I'll have to look them up!

Btw,
how do people with jobs do the liber resh (without getting fired)? And are you only supposed to sleep 6 hours between midnight and dawn? How about us Nordics? In winter and summer, one would hardly have time to finish the sunrise ritual before it's time for the sunset one and vice versa! :laugh: