Divinatory Thoth meanings seem so mundane

Barleywine

Your browser may have an option to help with that. In Mozilla Firefox, for instance, I can go to the View menu and choose Page Style > No Style. The page then appears as black text on a white background. And it's easy to reverse when you leave the page.

Worked like a charm. Thanks! If I had remembered to enable the Menu toolbar I might have found that on my own :) I especially like the Mantegna Renaissance tarot deck (colored by Raven) shown on that site.

Barleywine

My new favorite.

James A. Eshelman's, Liber Theta: Tarot Symbolism & Divination
http://www.thelema.org/publications/

AW

This is an interesting document. Between the end of Eshelman's introduction and the beginning of Chapter 1: The Major Arcana, the text and tables are identical to what Crowley published in The Equinox Volume 1, Number 8 in 1912, and that was reissued by Weiser in 1976. After that point in the text, it is directly Thoth-related whereas the original described the Golden Dawn cards (as I mentioned earlier in this thread). Looks like a useful addition to my study materials (and it's free to download).

Aeon418

I wonder why the Thoth seems to be a new vision of Tarot, but the divinatory meanings still reflect the traditional ones?
I assume you are talking about the Major cards? In that case you have to remember that the divinatory meanings are primarily derived from the Hebrew letter associated with a particular card and the planet/zodiac/element that goes with it. Just because the art work on the cards sometimes looks radically different it does not follow that meanings are going to be totally different. In fact quite a lot stays the same as it ever was. The differences in the art work add shading and nuance to the meanings.

Barleywine

The differences in the art work add shading and nuance to the meanings.

That is precisely how I see the outcome of Frieda Harris' effort on the Thoth small cards, which come across in most cases as "pips with attitude." It's that quality combined with Crowley's elucidation (well, eventually it sinks in :)) that make those cards such an outstanding example of the type.

Always Wondering

This is an interesting document. Between the end of Eshelman's introduction and the beginning of Chapter 1: The Major Arcana, the text and tables are identical to what Crowley published in The Equinox Volume 1, Number 8 in 1912, and that was reissued by Weiser in 1976. After that point in the text, it is directly Thoth-related whereas the original described the Golden Dawn cards (as I mentioned earlier in this thread). Looks like a useful addition to my study materials (and it's free to download).

And the one or two times I've divined with it I was rather amazed. This and Aeon418's Double Hexagram spread gave me a reading that blew me away for weeks.

But as a study guide, I find it invaluable.

AW

Aeon418

This and Aeon418's Double Hexagram spread gave me a reading that blew me away for weeks.
It's not my spread. I pinched it out of Rodney Orpheus' book, Abrahadabra (p.136-138).

Freddie

Great replies folks. Thanks!!!

I have found that if I never divine with the Thoth, it doesn't matter as the deck and quality reading materials (A.C.-L.M.D.) have much enlightened me. I am a TDM guy and for some reason I was craving my old trusty Fournier Marseille deck the other day. After finally finding the deck, I opened it up and all of the Thoth study/brain traing paid off. It just goes to show this deck/book transcends it's genre.

Nice links on this thread.

Freddie

Always Wondering

It's not my spread. I pinched it out of Rodney Orpheus' book, Abrahadabra (p.136-138).

Opps, good to know. If the book is anything like the spread I will have to get it.

AW

archer1

James A. Eshelman's, Liber Theta: Tarot Symbolism & Divination I have had this for a while its great.... also look for Mirror of the soul by Ziegler.....but Eshelman's work is great...

MsRed

I am more and more surprised by the Thoth deck, its meanings and its reception.
I am very new to this deck and when I first scratched on the surface of the multitude of meanings I rather felt intimidated. But now, I have mapped out a strategy how I can plough through this many layers of meanings and understand them. I do readings, look closely at the cards and try to figure out what it could mean (to me), using my intuition und the basic knowledge I got from reading Duquette. Then, I consult different websites, take notes of astrological significances, have a look at my other book (Banzhaf). And the funny part - In the end, I almost always can identify best with the meaning I find in the Book of Thoth. I wonder why so many many authors and interpreters are so far away from the original meaning? Is it only to be able to sell just another book on the Crowley tarot?